: Dell Laser 1110

RunTheWorldOnMac
Sep 21st, 2009, 10:45 AM
Anyone have any thoughts on the Dell Laser 1110 printer? A cheap laser printer which has gotten good reviews. Anyone see any reason why this won't run on Snow Leopard? Or perhaps off of my Time Capsule?

chas_m
Sep 21st, 2009, 11:05 AM
Well, first you have to find out who ACTUALLY makes the laser printer, because Dell doesn't make sh*t. They just rebadge things.

Once you find that out, you can determine if there are drivers for it in SL or available for SL. My guess would be that "Dell" brand drivers would NOT be included on Snow Leopard.

screature
Sep 21st, 2009, 11:24 AM
because Dell doesn't make sh*t.

Sure they do.... :lmao:

But seriously they do. Maybe not printers but they have a number of manufacturing facilities around the world.

RunTheWorldOnMac
Sep 21st, 2009, 11:26 AM
I had found a post this morning saying that it was a Samsung, and it does appear as though there are drivers for it for SL using their Smart Panel product.

I know it's cheap but my thought was as it is a laser there is no ink to dry up so for my rare (couple pages a week) use it will last but am not sure if it is a piece of garbage or not. Then again, it's just over $100 so i can't hope for the world. 80)

screature
Sep 21st, 2009, 11:34 AM
I had found a post this morning saying that it was a Samsung, and it does appear as though there are drivers for it for SL using their Smart Panel product.

I know it's cheap but my thought was as it is a laser there is no ink to dry up so for my rare (couple pages a week) use it will last but am not sure if it is a piece of garbage or not. Then again, it's just over $100 so i can't hope for the world. 80)

Samsung makes decent stuff. If it is just a rebranded Samsung, I personally wouldn't hesitate, but I would make sure to find out how much replacement toner and drums are. When the price is that low you may find that it will be cheaper to buy a new printer than to replace the toner and drum (although drums generally need replacing less often than toner unless they are defective).

Manatus
Sep 21st, 2009, 11:44 AM
I have a Samsung laser printer (2160 multifunction) and personally I wouldn't buy another one. Pros: As you've found out, they're cheap. Mine was $200 for a colour laser multifunction, which is an excellent price. Print quality is good enough for an everyday home printer. Toner is pretty cheap too. Cons: Overall machine quality is poor - paper jams/misfeeds a lot, graphics printing quality is terrible. The LCD on mine broke when just out of warranty, not worth fixing. Very slow (mine does about 4 pages a minute, and takes at least 30 seconds for first page out). Of course it may be different between models, but I wouldn't risk it again.

If you do get it and install the Samsung drivers, make sure you just install the drivers and not the Smart Panel. I've found that thing tells you absolutely nothing and just gets in the way (pop-ups and takes up resources). In fact if you use it with an AEBS/Time Capsule, it will tell you that it can't find the printer and will open up Troubleshooting, even though your printer prints fine. I had one heck of a lot of trouble with the printer until I deleted all traces of Smart Panel and just used the driver.

My recommendation would be to get a Brother - their entry level laser is pretty cheap.

screature
Sep 21st, 2009, 12:03 PM
I have a Samsung laser printer (2160 multifunction) and personally I wouldn't buy another one...

I think the problem you encountered may be due to it being a multifunction device. I never buy multi function devices because the reality is when they do many things, they generally do them all, at best, at a mediocre level. Always buy dedicated devices and the quality will almost always be better. :)

I have had a dedicated Samsung laser printer for years, no problems what so ever.

RunTheWorldOnMac
Sep 21st, 2009, 12:05 PM
Cool, good to know. I basically want a printer to print lectures prior to class as they are posted online. Toner cartridges are about $90 so I definitely will just buy a new printer. 80) Unless I can find aftermarket cartridges. It says it can print 1000 pages so that would last quite a long time for me.

Carter
Sep 21st, 2009, 12:06 PM
Yes, the Dell 1110 will work with Snow Leopard & Leopard.

Well, the forum gives me a white page when I try to post how to do it ..... so instead you will have to go here. I have it quoted in post # 11 with instructions and link.

dell 1100 laser printer - Page 2 - macosx.com (http://macosx.com/forums/hardware-peripherals/270658-dell-1100-laser-printer-2.html)

Trevor...
Sep 22nd, 2009, 12:16 AM
I have never encountered a Dell laser printer that was dead-stop incompatible with Macs, however the days of Dell being the only game in town with really aggressive laser printer pricing are long over and you can get an officially supported model for the same money.

Carter
Sep 23rd, 2009, 12:14 AM
laser printers are just getting so damn ceap now a days compared to a few years ago.