: Flickering with a Mac Mini and LCD

Strimkind
Sep 20th, 2009, 03:42 PM
I've been enjoying my new Mac Mini but I have noticed that there is a flicker usually found with a grey area (like this forum and 68kmla). The flicker does not harm anything but I am wondering if it is the LCD or the video card. I do not have another DVI cable to test, another mini-dvi adapter, the MiniDVI to VGA, or another LCD. Could it just be the LCD (Acer 1916W) getting old?

Thoughts?

Ottawaman
Sep 20th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Is the video cable snug?

Strimkind
Sep 20th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Is the video cable snug?

Yes it is.

mguertin
Sep 21st, 2009, 11:41 AM
Are you at the native resolution of the monitor? Sometimes this will happen if the monitor is downsampling things or stretching them.

monokitty
Sep 21st, 2009, 11:51 AM
It's likely the display; my Samsung LCD has the same effect connected to my 2009 Mac mini; the issue was exactly the same when that exact same LCD was connected to my 2005 Mac mini as well. (To my 2005 mini via VGA: to the 2009 mini via DVI.)

krs
Sep 21st, 2009, 09:20 PM
There was also a Mini - DVI Display issue, I don't know if that was ever fixed on the Mini.
My work-around was to use VGA instead and I jus now switched to a new 19-inch Dell display (from NEC) and the Dell monitor doesn't have this issue.
Someone actually created a private website where they listed which LCD monitors worked with the Mini and which ones didn't.
You can probably still find that site if you google.
There were lots of theories what caused that incompatibility but I never persued that issue since VGA worked fine for me.
I also had the Mini hooked up to the DVI input of a 32-inch Acer TV and that worked fine.

The other thing I just thought of - and that was on an old G4 - I bought a new wide screen 23-inch Dell monitor. It wouldn't work with the DVI output of the G4 even though I had used the DVI output with an older 19-inch monitor before without problems.
I replaced the DVI cable that came with the new Dell monitor with a DVI cable I had lying around and everything worked perfectly.

Strimkind
Sep 22nd, 2009, 01:39 AM
It is on the native resolution of 1440x900 but switching it removed the flicker...very odd. It also changed the grey colour as well...it was a bit lighter. Perhaps the colour is off? Or should I just find another cable and try that?