: Using Rogers iPhone 3Gs With Different Sim Card

therascalking
Sep 19th, 2009, 06:42 PM
I recently bought my first iPhone (yay me!). It's a 3Gs and today I updated to 3.1

I am going on vacation to Thailand in November and was planning to just buy a SIM card in Thailand and pop it into my iPhone. However, from what I have read the Rogers iPhone is locked to Rogers and you cannot just pop in a different SIM card.

Is this correct?

I did some reading about unlocking and jailbreaking and got a little overwhelmed by all the information. What options are open to me? It seems like you cannot unlock an iPhone with 3.1

I am not looking to go so far as jailbreaking and just wish to use my iPhone when I am on vacation.

Also .. is there an "official" source of uplocking updates? A lot of the sites out there seem a bit shady. ;)

What are the future ramifications of unlocking?

Thanks for any advice.

HowEver
Sep 19th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Read the information here:

Dev-Team Blog (http://blog.iphone-dev.org/)

and you'll know as much as anyone else, here on ehMac or elsewhere.

There is no law against unlocking a cell phone in Canada and the GSM standards were created for this purpose.

I think you should consider getting a cheap GSM phone and local SIM card when you travel, since 3.1 isn't unlockable yet. Might be by the time you travel, though.

I'm not sure what you mean by "ramifications" though. You can always do a restore using iTunes, if that's what you mean.

therascalking
Sep 19th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Sorry I guess I didn't choose my words properly. When I say ramifications I didn't mean in a legal way. I meant .. would I be able to do future OS updates? App store still works? etc.

When I traveled in the past I would buy a cheap local phone. But with my new iPhone I'd love to have access to things like Facebook, travel apps, etc.

Will restoring using iTunes un-do any unlocking or jailbreaking?

Thanks for the link .. I will keep checking back to see if they have unlocked 3.1

KMPhotos
Sep 19th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Yeah, you shouldn't have upgraded to 3.1
The previous OS was unlockable. Best bet is to buy a cheap GSM phone as mention in the previous post.