: Battery Observations

eMacMan
Sep 18th, 2009, 02:08 PM
After using NiMH AAs in my cameras for years it became very obvious that a year reduced 2 pairs of these to less than a weeks use between charges. That is $10-15 a year for batteries.

This year I have been using generic alkalines instead. I get about a month and a half out of a pair of batteries or ~ $7/year. However there is a bonus; After there is no longer enough juice to power the camera, I can put those batteries in a regular flash light and they are good for another couple of months of moderate use. By moderate I mean 2-5 minutes per day. They will also run my old Panasonic disk player for about 15-20 hours.

MLeh
Sep 18th, 2009, 02:35 PM
And once those AAs will no longer run your flashlight, they should still have enough juice to power a remote control.

EvanPitts
Sep 18th, 2009, 04:26 PM
In my experience, NiMH batteries have fairly short lifespans, and generally fail long before their MTBF rating. NiCad batteries have lower charge density, can't be drained as hard, but generally will outlast any NiMH battery in nature, plus they don't just fail right away like an NiMH does.

The problem with Alkaline batteries is that they do not support high discharge rates that digital style equipment heaps upon them, so they flatten quicker. Lithium cells are better because they can handle this mode of operation, have a higher charge density, but are much more expensive...