: Buying from apple US online, from Canada.

yessss
Sep 17th, 2009, 04:47 AM
I read on this site that someone said it is possible to buy from the US store online, with a Canadian Visa, but they didn't explain how. I was wondering how this is possible, since the billing information page has United States as the default country, and can't be changed. If someone could help, I'd greatly appreciate it.

kloan
Sep 17th, 2009, 05:13 AM
You can't.

The only thing you could do is have it shipped to a friend's in the US, and have them ship it up.

RunTheWorldOnMac
Sep 17th, 2009, 07:46 AM
Could you perhaps be thinking of the US iTunes Store? This can't be done with a Cdn. credit card, but can be done with a US iTunes gift card.

hayesk
Sep 17th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Why do you want to do this? There's usually no money to be saved after you pay shipping, GST, and figure exchange rates.

macintosh doctor
Sep 17th, 2009, 10:51 AM
Why do you want to do this? There's usually no money to be saved after you pay shipping, GST, and figure exchange rates.
+1
Also you forgot brokerage as well. :(

scroll to the bottom of the screen
and there is a tab called 'change country' while you are on the store page..
very small print..
change it and then proceed with your purchases.

DS
Sep 17th, 2009, 11:39 AM
I'm thinking about picking up another MacBook Air soon, and from what I've calculated the savings will be quite substantial if I buy from the States over Canada.

US (New York State):
$1499 + Tax 8.25%
$1622 US = $1729

Canada (Ontario):
$1749 + Tax 13%
$1976

Even if I paid the GST at the border (which doesn't usually end up happening) the total would only be $1815 CDN, a savings of $160. Without paying the GST its a savings of over $250. I usually pick stuff like this up on trips where I'm already in the States, so it could be even less depending on what state/county I buy in depending on the sales tax. I'm living in Mexico too where we're allowed to legally bring back a new laptop tax-free, so by the time I'm back in Canada the laptop isn't taxable for all intents and purposes anyways since it's just being carried with me as my regular computer. Saving almost 20%, hell yes.

macintosh doctor
Sep 17th, 2009, 04:18 PM
I'm thinking about picking up another MacBook Air soon, and from what I've calculated the savings will be quite substantial if I buy from the States over Canada.

US (New York State):
$1499 + Tax 8.25%
$1622 US = $1729

Canada (Ontario):
$1749 + Tax 13%
$1976

Even if I paid the GST at the border (which doesn't usually end up happening) the total would only be $1815 CDN, a savings of $160. Without paying the GST its a savings of over $250. I usually pick stuff like this up on trips where I'm already in the States, so it could be even less depending on what state/county I buy in depending on the sales tax. I'm living in Mexico too where we're allowed to legally bring back a new laptop tax-free, so by the time I'm back in Canada the laptop isn't taxable for all intents and purposes anyways since it's just being carried with me as my regular computer. Saving almost 20%, hell yes.

I once declared a stroller that we bought in the states because it was 50% off..
so i thought i would be upfront and declare... i forgot to declare the rain cover.. and they threaten to repo everything (including my car) and put me in the system for ever.

so knowing that... just declare it.. it is not worth the headache
if they pull you over, you will punished to the extreme measure of the law and they always win..

monokitty
Sep 17th, 2009, 04:21 PM
The U.S. online store will not ship to any Canadian address. Period.

yessss
Sep 17th, 2009, 08:17 PM
The Refurbished deals on the US site on iMacs are well worth the exchange and duty. I have an American shipping address as well (It's a shipping centre). I claim it at the border, and always factor in full charges. If it's less then good, but I don't rely on smuggling it or getting a pass. $1549 (which is like 3rd from the left if you look at the regular store if you want a reference model.) 4gb, 2.93 ghz, gt120, 24 inch monitor, just nice. If they had computers with the same total cost on the Canada site I'd prefer it, believe me.

yessss
Sep 17th, 2009, 09:00 PM
Actually, forget about it. They have better stuff on the apple.ca site than I thought. I was looking through 6 different stores yesterday simultaneously (Canada/Canada refurb/Canada Student/US/US Refurb) and got all in confused. Thanks for helping!

DS
Sep 17th, 2009, 09:01 PM
I once declared a stroller that we bought in the states because it was 50% off..
so i thought i would be upfront and declare... i forgot to declare the rain cover.. and they threaten to repo everything (including my car) and put me in the system for ever.

so knowing that... just declare it.. it is not worth the headache
if they pull you over, you will punished to the extreme measure of the law and they always win..

I fly home from Mexico :) I'd just be going through customs at the airport, everyone carries a portable these days. And I agree. They are dicks. I bought a couple of original iPhones right after they came out, I was living in Canada at the time and drove to the States for that. I declared them both but the dickheads still ripped apart my car looking for stuff, and had a genuinely surprised look on their face when they found nothing extra. They left all of the stuff they ripped out of the glove box all over the floor, the floor mats not straight and the trunk in a big mess.

CubaMark
Sep 17th, 2009, 09:22 PM
DS, I share your pain... the prices for electronic goods here in Mexico (I'm in Zacatecas) are completely loco. Tomorrow I'm going to stop by the Office Depot and see if they have any Snow Leopard disks in - and I half-expect them to have 'em listed at a full OS price... I'd like to know at what stage of the importation process there necessitates such a ridiculous price hike...

macintosh doctor
Sep 17th, 2009, 10:02 PM
DS, I share your pain... the prices for electronic goods here in Mexico (I'm in Zacatecas) are completely loco. Tomorrow I'm going to stop by the Office Depot and see if they have any Snow Leopard disks in - and I half-expect them to have 'em listed at a full OS price... I'd like to know at what stage of the importation process there necessitates such a ridiculous price hike...

full os price LOL - more like the government is fighting a losing battle against the cartel, so they can raise money according to them at what ever rate or way they want to, you will pay.

I fly home from Mexico :) I'd just be going through customs at the airport, everyone carries a portable these days. And I agree. They are dicks. I bought a couple of original iPhones right after they came out, I was living in Canada at the time and drove to the States for that. I declared them both but the dickheads still ripped apart my car looking for stuff, and had a genuinely surprised look on their face when they found nothing extra. They left all of the stuff they ripped out of the glove box all over the floor, the floor mats not straight and the trunk in a big mess.

BTW - they can strip your car into a thousand parts and walk away just so you know..
they can do what ever they want...

one time my wife, who did not tell me she brought fruit along for a road trip to feed the kids, volunteered that information when they asked ( at the border ) - you should of seen the dumb founded look on my face..

so we fought the border guard for 4 mins until he was getting upset with us.. he said okay i will let you keep them if you can prove they are from US or Mexico.. but of course wife peeled the stickers off, when she washed them... so at that point.. not sure what actually got over me, i am sure we all have had those moments of insanity or just cracking point...

I grabbed the fruit peeled them and started eating them, so then the wife started to eat it as well so i gave some to my kids.. etc.. - then you should of seen the look on the boarder guards face at that show,

he said no way this is happening, you are holding up the line of cars, please put down the fruit people...
we kept on gorging - back up arrived they all stared at us until they took away the fruit and said please please stop, let be a lesson no fruit into or out of our country..

it was an experience to say the least.

DS
Sep 18th, 2009, 12:10 AM

With the exchange rate these days, pretty much 12.5 pesos to the dollar at least things are beginning to come a bit closer to parity in terms of pricing. That is until new stock comes in and prices are adjusted to match the disparate exchange rate!

When I started coming here many, many years ago it was something like 6-6.5 pesos to the dollar. I couldn't be happier! I just don't buy any electronics here, that's all!

I also just happily cancelled my 680 peso for 2 meg Internet from monopoly extrordinaire Telmex, I'm pretty sure they're smoking crack or something. I got in an argument with them too because about a month ago it appeared as if they had lowered the price to a more reasonable 299, it was on their website and everything. But conveniently enough when I went back to their website before going in to have the price adjusted, it was gone from the site! None of them had any idea of what I was talking about either, and tried to push one of those stupid paquetes on me.

Thank god cable was finally installed in this neighbourhood. I'll be paying less and have TV as well.

vfr
Sep 19th, 2009, 11:15 PM
FWIW, funnily enough, the 24" iMac I ordered through the Canadian Apple Store was shipped up from Apple in California...

meall
Sep 20th, 2009, 10:20 AM
I read on this site that someone said it is possible to buy from the US store online, with a Canadian Visa, but they didn't explain how. I was wondering how this is possible, since the billing information page has United States as the default country, and can't be changed. If someone could help, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Look at the refurb store. If you have a specific model in mind, as long as it is not the latest offering, they come back in the refurb quite often... You can, for instance, get a MacBook Air for around 1300$.

macintosh doctor
Sep 21st, 2009, 11:55 AM
FWIW, funnily enough, the 24" iMac I ordered through the Canadian Apple Store was shipped up from Apple in California...

they ship computers from various warehouses.. where ever there is stock..
has nothing to do with location from where you order from..

I have shipments arrive from US, Canada, China ( mostly China )..
but that said we are a global economy..

Warranties mostly come from Canada, makes no sense to ship paper across the world. :)