: What do you think of VW's new little beast?

monokitty
Sep 15th, 2009, 03:04 PM
Wheels.ca - VW unveils 282 m.p.g car at Frankfurt - Canada's Most Trusted Auto Resource (http://www.wheels.ca/Article%20Category/article/781881).

FRANKFURT–Volkswagen AG unveiled a number of new cars at the Frankfurt Auto Show Tuesday, including the L1, a two seat hybrid concept that could get about 96 km per litre of fuel, or about 282 miles per Imperial gallon (1.0 L/100 km).

http://media.wheels.topscms.com/images/7d/84/80c2950a4712b7a57c7552005530.jpeg

SINC
Sep 15th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Yikes, I wouldn't want to be in one of those things in a crash at high speed like, oh, say 20 mph! :D

Dr.G.
Sep 15th, 2009, 03:25 PM
There are potholes here in St. John's in May that are bigger than that car.

HowEver
Sep 15th, 2009, 03:40 PM
There are potholes here in St. John's in May that are bigger than that car.

There are potholes in Toronto larger than, say, four storeys. That's on a major road. But I digress...

whatiwant
Sep 15th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Is it just me or does that guy have a huge head?

monokitty
Sep 15th, 2009, 03:51 PM
There are potholes in Toronto larger than, say, four storeys. That's on a major road. But I digress...

:lmao: Serious...

KC4
Sep 15th, 2009, 04:55 PM
Nice looking design - but it doesn't look like it would comfortably seat two adults...not enough head room.....you'd have to drive cheek to cheek - more ways than one!

SINC
Sep 15th, 2009, 05:02 PM
Nice looking design - but it doesn't look like it would comfortably seat two adults...not enough head room.....you'd have to drive cheek to cheek - more ways than one!

Looks to me like the seating is one behind the other, not side by side. ;)

KC4
Sep 15th, 2009, 05:17 PM
Looks to me like the seating is one behind the other, not side by side. ;)

OHHHHHH! :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

EvanPitts
Sep 15th, 2009, 05:48 PM
VW is reinventing the Messerschmitt Tiger...

Macified
Sep 15th, 2009, 07:12 PM
Check the specs. 0-60 in 14.3 seconds but with a top speed of 90 mph. A whopping 30-50 horsepower. The diesel will give it some torque but with that anemic powerplant you won't be getting yourself out of tight spots in any hurry. The only way this car is safe is if everyone is driving one.

MacDoc
Sep 15th, 2009, 07:35 PM
Scooter makes more sense tho not as good gas mileage.:D

EvanPitts
Sep 15th, 2009, 08:53 PM
I don't think it is intended for the big highways. Such vehicles were promoted twice in history, the Cyclecar craze of the early 20's, and a similar spurt in Europe in the 50's. They end up being too small for regular use, though some people will gravitate towards them as not many people would want to go trekking across the Prairies to work in the middle of winter on a regular motorcycle.

I think worrying about 0-60 times is bunk - since we are rapidly moving to a state where we have depleted or expensive resources. Most people do not drag race, nor do they need top speeds, at least in the fairly big niche for handy commuter vehicles. We have to stop equating small with unsafe - and instead, prosecute those that engage in unsafe behaviours on the road. Driving needs to become a privilege that carries responsibility, rather than a place to engage in furtive behaviour, like texting, painting fingernails, grooming, etc...

Macified
Sep 15th, 2009, 10:40 PM
I agree with the not worrying too much about the 0-60 and top speed. I consider them indicators though. The vehicle is underpowered. Until all vehicles on the road are this anemic, this one isn't really safe. My car has enough oomph to let me pass another car on the highway or to pull away from potentially dangerous situations. My wife's car has less than half the power of mine and I hate it. Being stuck behind erratic drivers without the confidence that I could pass quickly sucks. Not having the juice to pull out into traffic (that is usually moving too fast) sucks too.

Suggesting that this isn't meant for the highway is somewhat of a issue here in Canada too. It's basically a foregone conclusion that Canadian drivers will need to use the highway. Having a city car and a highway car is a worse drain on resources and energy than driving one car that provides a better balance between power/size requirements and efficiency. I drive a hybrid SUV because I need the size and power 75% of the time I drive. The other 25% of the time I feel like a dirtbag driving it around all by myself but the option of buying another car (say a Smart or something) is merely a trade off between fuel efficiency on the road and energy/resource consumption of building, shipping, parking another car.

Carter
Sep 15th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Ugly !!

uPhone
Sep 15th, 2009, 10:55 PM
What do I think of this car? Personally I am trying to figure out if my tires will be damaged when I run over it in my Hummer.

dona83
Sep 16th, 2009, 03:58 PM
It can't be any smaller than the Smart cars you see everywhere.

Call me lucky but I've never been in a situation where I had to haul arse to get myself out of a potential accident. I don't know why people think a V6 is a minimum and V8 is ideal because of this.

Macified
Sep 16th, 2009, 04:18 PM
No V6 or 8 required. Just an appropriate power to weight ratio. As the author of the original article comments, a scooter would respond better than this car. It's an interesting vehicle in that it highlights our need for something new and different but that doesn't make this thing practical.

ScanMan
Sep 16th, 2009, 06:15 PM
I think this Mazda will do well.

Mazda - Mazda2 - Gallery (http://www.mazda.co.uk/showroom/mazda2/gallery/)

dona83
Sep 17th, 2009, 03:12 PM

It's a subcompact that competes with the Yaris, Aveo, Fiesta, etc. :)

Toyota is releasing their iQ possibly under the Scion brand name in North America, a bit of a Smart Car ripoff yes but it's a 3+1 seater. :D Do we call these cars supercompacts?

monokitty
Sep 17th, 2009, 05:49 PM

And is coming to Canada! :) (Though I'll take a '3 over the '2 any day personally.)

ScanMan
Sep 17th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Lars,
If I recall, you got a 3 just a couple of months back. Fun so far?

dona83
Sep 17th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Lars,
If I recall, you got a 3 just a couple of months back. Fun so far?

Couple of months, plus or minus 4 years. lol.

ScanMan
Sep 17th, 2009, 06:27 PM
Couple of months, plus or minus 4 years. lol.

Thought it was a very nice 2010, with a 6-speed.