: Freeze problems

guitom
Sep 11th, 2009, 04:28 PM
My G4 freezes during start up. The mouse never even lights up, it and the keyboard don't work at all. It used to do this just on occasion, but now I can't even safe boot!:mad:

eMacMan
Sep 11th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Can you boot from the original install disks?

guitom
Sep 11th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Haven't been able to find them since we moved. And yes, this computer is causing me brain damage as I type.

guitom
Sep 11th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Someone mentioned my board might need to be replaced?

eMacMan
Sep 11th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Do you have a Bootable clone on an external drive. If you can boot from an external with no issues then the problem is almost system related.

Next alternative is good old Disk Warrior. Just make sure your version of Disk Warrior will work with your OS version.

pm-r
Sep 12th, 2009, 12:00 AM
Haven't been able to find them since we moved. And yes, this computer is causing me brain damage as I type.

Gheese, it sounds like it's time to get a new Mac - sort of like some car owners do when the ashtray gets filled!!!

[QUOTE=guitom;867041 Someone mentioned my board might need to be replaced?[/QUOTE]

As already mentioned and I question where you're getting your Mac advice from.

Shut down and disconnect any extra peripherals and restart and do some standard OS X maintenance and re-install etc. if needed - and yes- you should have a normal/compatible Mac OS X install disk to do so.

Patrick Mead-Robins
Mac Solutions
250-652-1860
-----------------------------

guitom
Sep 15th, 2009, 04:36 AM
I had a geek (self-described) in today, he redid the permissions on the main hard disk and things work about as well as they did before everything froze up. Good news is I'm getting all my precious music files onto a fire wire external drive and erasing them from the hard drive so I can, without worrying about hearing my jams on a local radio commercial, give my g4 to to the geeks for analysis. If the motherboard is OK, I'm going to try adding RAM (I'm only running the original 512 now) to see if I can get another year or two out of my aging G4 before having to spend thousands on a whole new system.

Of course, I'm also getting DAE error 9131 when trying either to run my sessions from the fire wire drive or record a new session to the fire wire drive. My digi 001 runs through a PCI card, so it's not a fire wire conflict. Any thoughts?

guitom
Sep 15th, 2009, 04:38 AM
Do you have a Bootable clone on an external drive. If you can boot from an external with no issues then the problem is almost system related.

Next alternative is good old Disk Warrior. Just make sure your version of Disk Warrior will work with your OS version.

How do I create a bootable clone onto my external fire wire drive?

chas_m
Sep 15th, 2009, 04:45 AM
OK, I'm going to try adding RAM (I'm only running the original 512 now) to see if I can get another year or two out of my aging G4 before having to spend thousands on a whole new system.

You DO realise that a $800 Mac Mini can probably kick that G4 around the block in everything except videogame framerate, right?

IOW, you don't have to replace a G4 tower with another tower necessarily (when it comes time to replace that model). Great strides have been made in processing power since you last bought a computer.

How do I create a bootable clone onto my external fire wire drive?

Carbon Copy Cloner (donationware) or SuperDuper! ($32) can do this for you. Google em.

pm-r
Sep 15th, 2009, 01:43 PM
I had a geek (self-described) in today, he redid the permissions on the main hard disk and things work about as well as they did before everything froze up. Good news is I'm getting all my precious music files onto a fire wire external drive and erasing them from the hard drive so I can, without worrying about hearing my jams on a local radio commercial, give my g4 to to the geeks for analysis. If the motherboard is OK, I'm going to try adding RAM (I'm only running the original 512 now) to see if I can get another year or two out of my aging G4 before having to spend thousands on a whole new system.

Of course, I'm also getting DAE error 9131 when trying either to run my sessions from the fire wire drive or record a new session to the fire wire drive. My digi 001 runs through a PCI card, so it's not a fire wire conflict. Any thoughts?

We still don't know what G4 model or speed you have and 512 MB is pretty minimal. And if it's booting up, it probably isn't the motherboard that's causing any problems.

Doing a Google on 'DAE error 9131' provides lots of solutions - including just the top two hits may solve that problem:
DAE Error -9131 or -9136 when trying to playback session from firewire drive (http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?langid=100&navid=54&itemid=23338)

DAE error -9131 and -6093 when recording to a supported FireWire drive on a Mac G5 in OS 10.3.1 with a Digi 002 and Pro Tools LE 6.2.2. (http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?langid=100&navid=3&itemid=19724&categoryid=34)

Patrick Mead-Robins
Mac Solutions
250-652-1860
-----------------------------