: British government apologizes for treatment of Alan Turing

bryanc
Sep 10th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Obviously of no use to Turing, but still a nice gesture and a sign that things have and are continuing to change for the better.

You can read about it here (http://www.number10.gov.uk/Page20571).
:clap:

Dr.G.
Sep 10th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Good. This was a long time in coming. He should be viewed as a national hero and not as he was viewed back then.

MazterCBlazter
Sep 10th, 2009, 09:46 PM

Dr.G.
Sep 10th, 2009, 09:46 PM
The man was a hero and should have been highly honored in his lifetime.

This man gave us all a huge tactical advantage in that horrible war. Even after that, they castrated him. With his intellectual abilities, he could have gone on to add other great contributions to the world.

The way we treat the heros among us at times is appalling.

It is good that this aspect of humanity and our acceptance of each other is improving. Acceptance of people towards each other despite their religious beliefs, culture, race, financial status, nationality, and class is improving. It still has a long way to go but it is good to see everything heading in the right direction.

Very well said, MCB. Paix, mon ami.

KC4
Sep 10th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Better late than never.

Humanity's punishment is not only the shame and regret of having treated Alan Turing so horribly, but also the loss of what other amazing good Alan Turing would have surely contributed if he had lived a full life.

MacDoc
Sep 10th, 2009, 10:54 PM
:clap: :clap:

extremely deserved......posthumous knighthood would put the point home even more how important his work was.

chas_m
Sep 10th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Hear hear to all the comments above. I know apologies are only words, but they DO matter. Schoolkids will learn more about Turing now because of this.

There are more than a few Canadian (and particularly American) politicians who could learn a thing or two about how to apologise for doing something wrong by reading Brown's statement.

Sonal
Sep 11th, 2009, 10:34 AM
It is a truly terrible story, but I am glad that the British Government has officially recognized the tragedy of the situation.

SINC
Sep 11th, 2009, 11:00 AM
I know people say better late than never, but it would have been better had it never happened. A good move, even now.

Rps
Sep 11th, 2009, 11:23 AM
I find it curious that the British Government allowed such a treatment considering its members have a long history of either being homosexual or of philandering. But, and I don't mean to draw your ire so please do not bombard me with e-mails, can we please use the term hero a little more judiciously ... it's a term we throw around too easily today.

I agree 100% with all of you that it should never have been allowed to happen .... but for me apologies this late seem awfully hollow ....

MissGulch
Sep 11th, 2009, 12:08 PM
I think that the fellow who discovered the cure for polio was gay. While he wasn't castrated, at times he did have difficulty in his life because of it.

Think of what the world would be like if that cure was never discovered.

American doctor Jonas Salk discovered the polio vaccine. He wasn't gay.

Dr. Jonas Salk (http://www.nndb.com/people/323/000022257/)

Rps
Sep 11th, 2009, 12:19 PM
American doctor Jonas Salk discovered the polio vaccine. He wasn't gay.

Dr. Jonas Salk (http://www.nndb.com/people/323/000022257/)

Forgive my for my unsophistication, what is the NNDB? And any database which lists someone's sexual orientation as " straight", I would call to question its integrity.

MazterCBlazter
Sep 11th, 2009, 01:51 PM