: How to Un-install Leopard???

macmac
Sep 9th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Im fed up with Snow Leopard..initially the 14 gig savings was great...but whats the point if none of my programs work. Horrible.

Eye tv, loads up and shuts down.... Routebuddy, does the same thing...they load up, either freeze or just shut down.

Is there a way to un-install this disease called Leopard?

Vexel
Sep 9th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Did you do any backing up prior to installing Snow Leopard?

imactheknife
Sep 9th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Sorry to hear your troubles but Snow Leopard is no disease. It flies on both our macs and I don't regret the upgrade. Sometimes it's best to back up your entire system before you upgrade then if you have issues you can backup with your backup. Sometimes it pay
s to wait for a week, maybe a month before you upgrade then you might see about problems with certain programs. Then at the point you can wait for the new drivers or software updates to be compatible. Don't blame Apple for your troubles though thats silly and unwarranted. Usually upgrades will have a few issues with certain things and it's to be expected. Cheers....

Strimkind
Sep 9th, 2009, 09:54 PM
You could backup and format. Correct me if I am wrong but I do not believe you can do anything else with OSX, unlike Classic Mac OS where you could just delete the system folder if it was driving you insane.

Harvey
Sep 9th, 2009, 10:33 PM
I think you can reinstall from your original leopard disc.
Just pick the install option, it will warn you that you're replacing a newer version of the OS, click ok and hello to leopard.

Harvey

PosterBoy
Sep 10th, 2009, 03:11 AM
Have you tried anything else? Like, say, re-installing any of the apps in question or checking for updates and so on?

I know it's probably a silly question, but it bears asking.

chas_m
Sep 10th, 2009, 03:58 AM
EyeTV, for example, has an update that works on SL (3.1.3b, via here (http://support.elgato.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=3628&languageid=1&group=englishdefault)). I just downloaded it today so I haven't tried it yet, but it's cleared the snowleopard.wikidot.com database, so it's probably fine.

Also, according to RouteBuddy's website and forum, it DOES run under Snow Leopard. Maybe your version is out-of-date?

To that point, have you never done a major system upgrade before or something? This happens EVERY time Apple releases a major system update -- some apps break and are generally updated within a week or two, but more commonly people just get lazy about keeping their software up-to-date and get caught flat-footed when the update the OS and not the apps. That could be the problem in this case.

Griz
Sep 10th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Most of my apps are just fine. The ones that aren't I can wait for.

What bugs me is all the other weird stuff that started happening since installing SL.

Things like external drives suddenly disappearing (either just unmounting, or gone entirely - well not from reality - just not in disc util). Beach balls more often, 8 other quirky little things that begin to start to tick me off.

I changed teams (PC to Mac) after OS X was launched so I missed the very first iteration of it.

Was it the same way?

Can I expect things to stabilize over time?

eMacMan
Sep 10th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Quick review here as to installing new OSs.

Create a bootable clone to your external drive. Then install the new OS. If you are not happy clone back the original OS.

NOTE: If you keep iTunes and iPhoto files on your main drive it is a good idea to avoid adding to these until you are sure the changes are a keeper.

chas_m
Sep 10th, 2009, 06:28 PM
What bugs me is all the other weird stuff that started happening since installing SL.

That hasn't been the experience of the majority of people here. Perhaps you need to do a clean install.

Griz
Sep 10th, 2009, 06:43 PM
That hasn't been the experience of the majority of people here. Perhaps you need to do a clean install.

Yeah, that occurred to me too.

Just noticed the first update this evening...we'll see how that goes...

vfr
Sep 11th, 2009, 01:00 AM
FWIW, the last 25 years of futzing around with computers and operating systems has taught me this:

Whenever there is a new OS version, you:

1) Back up your data.

2) Hunt down versions of the applications that you are using that work with the new OS release.

3) Wipe the system and install the OS from scratch.

4) Install all your applications.

5) Restore your data.

You might say this takes too much effort or time. Well, if you add up all the time you waste trying to make things work right after doing an "upgrade", you will have spent less time in total using my time tested and experience proven method...

Griz
Sep 11th, 2009, 10:48 AM
FWIW, the last 25 years of futzing around with computers and operating systems has taught me this:

Whenever there is a new OS version, you:

1) Back up your data. Check!

2) Hunt down versions of the applications that you are using that work with the new OS release. Check!

3) Wipe the system and install the OS from scratch. (I assumed too much now that I'm a Mac-guy now...my bad...).

4) Install all your applications. Check (The updated ones anyway)

5) Restore your data. (Had I bothered with 3!)

You might say this takes too much effort or time. Well, if you add up all the time you waste trying to make things work right after doing an "upgrade", you will have spent less time in total using my time tested and experience proven method... (My old PC Mantra which I failed to follow...Karma's a bitch!).