Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

10.6 help me to get my HP Deskjet D4160 working :)

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  sae 
#1 ·
Well the title says it all. My HP Deskjet D4160 does not work in snow leopard.

I tried these instructions found on this page

1) uninstall ALL HP printer/scanner software (HP Install 2.0.5 is the latest) using HP's Uninstall program, which is found in the Hewlett Packard folder inside apps. Empty trash, and reboot.

2) Once all vestiges of HP drivers and software are removed, go to System Prefs "Print and FAX' page and manually add your printer manually, using Bonjour and/or USB.

3) Once your printer's name populates the list, you'll get an error message saying you need to use Apple's Software Update, (and if that fails, contact the printer manufacturer). Go to Apple's 'software update' (2nd option down in the Apple menu on the far left of your screen). After a delay. It SHOULD report there is software available for download, namely the HP drivers that need to be downloaded and installed from Apple (HP Printer Driver Update, about 80MB) before you can print. Download and install.

4) Reboot, and you should be able to print again.

I might note that there were two choices for me for software to use, D4100 Series and "HP 4.0.2" or something like that. The D4100 series did NOT work - but the other one worked like a charm! I would give this a try!

---------------
The thing was that for me the apple software update did not download the new driver :-(

I don't need the HP driver (the one for 10.5 was rubbish) so if I can use a generic driver that would be fine too but I have no idea how to do that. Please help :)

See less See more
#2 ·
it is working?

just wondering if you HP DeskJet D 4160 is working okay....No?
in case you were wondering, you're not alone in this endeavor. HP isn't too good about
updating stuff, or getting stuff working with new stuff. Epson is better, but not by much (if you know what I'm talking about) case in point-psc 1210 all in one scanner-printer-toaster. Works ok with XP,/10.4 then Vista/Leopard comes out and HP sez: NO scanning for you-we're not going to fix it-buy something newer, mortal. and that's pretty much it. Try GutenPrint/GimpPrint much friendlier, I think, they can't guarantee it'll totally work, but at least they'll try to get it going, and new models are added every 6 months....

just my ramblings

John B

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.