: audio help?

keebler27
Sep 3rd, 2009, 10:23 AM
Hi folks,

I have some very old VHS tapes from 1987 - the clients recorded on the LP setting so the quality is not so great for both audio and video. I've done what I can on the video, but there's a buzz on the audio which I can't seem to eliminate enough to my liking.

I've used the 31 channel EQ setting in Final Cut (5.1.4 is the version I have) and it's reduced, but I can't seem to get it entirely. Reducing -63 and -4000 to 0 has helped, but it's still there. I can't quite make out if it's electronic humming from the original camcorder used or if it's just b/c the tape is so old and recorded at the wrong speed (meaning lower quality).

I'm in the midst of posting a sample to provide a link so you can hear it first hand, but in the meantime, any other suggestions ie. filters? or otherwise?

cheers,
Keebler

keebler27
Sep 3rd, 2009, 10:31 AM
Hi folks,

I have some very old VHS tapes from 1987 - the clients recorded on the LP setting so the quality is not so great for both audio and video. I've done what I can on the video, but there's a buzz on the audio which I can't seem to eliminate enough to my liking.

I've used the 31 channel EQ setting in Final Cut (5.1.4 is the version I have) and it's reduced, but I can't seem to get it entirely. Reducing -63 and -4000 to 0 has helped, but it's still there. I can't quite make out if it's electronic humming from the original camcorder used or if it's just b/c the tape is so old and recorded at the wrong speed (meaning lower quality).

I'm in the midst of posting a sample to provide a link so you can hear it first hand, but in the meantime, any other suggestions ie. filters? or otherwise?

cheers,
Keebler

ok. let's see if this works:

https://auth.apple.com/authenticate?service=idisk.mac.com&returnURL=aHR0cDovL2ZpbGVzLm1lLmNvbS9tZW1vcmllczJk dmQveWpkN2wxLm1vdg==&realm=password:%201ae1a6ef6474aef0afdb79266f77e6ed @memories2dvd&anotherUser=Y&desc=Y2FtcGJlbGwgYXVkaW8gdGVzdC5tcDQ=

password: badaudio

keebler27
Sep 4th, 2009, 09:50 AM
just thought i'd bump this in case some folks didn't see due to server switcheover.

chas_m
Sep 4th, 2009, 02:02 PM
If you have a section of the hum/buzz by itself -- even a short sample where there's no other noise but the buzz -- Amadeus Pro and SoundSoap can both identify and filter it out pretty effectively.

jabberwocky
Sep 4th, 2009, 02:27 PM
I use SoundSoap for a variety of different audio purposes and it works quite nicely.

keebler27
Sep 4th, 2009, 03:05 PM
If you have a section of the hum/buzz by itself -- even a short sample where there's no other noise but the buzz -- Amadeus Pro and SoundSoap can both identify and filter it out pretty effectively.

thanks guys. I actually like SSoap, but i think this is the best I can do. I'll try with SS. I showed the clients and compared to the original track (in which the buzz is downright terrible - in fact, it drowns out most of the spoken audio). They're happy with it now, but I told them I would try one more run.

Thanks!

anal-log
Sep 6th, 2009, 03:39 PM
I've tried your audio sample with a combination of equim and izotope eq and izotope noise removal and managed to get most if not all of the noise out.

anal-log
Sep 6th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Here's a link:

Audio Test (http://cid-a1a2fe730a9574c1.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/.Public?uc=1)