: Wii gaming suggestions?

bryanc
Sep 2nd, 2009, 09:29 PM
I thought I'd poll the mac-hive-mind on this, because it's rather out of my domain. We have a Wii and my son, who is 9-going-on-16 is very keen on playing some "serious" video games with me.

He's just come back from holidays with his cousins (which I missed, due to work crises, and apparently mom was very laissez-faire about this), during which he was playing a lot of Halo, which he loved.

I'm not a big fan of FPS, having been turned off by Wolfenstien 3D back in the early nineties and never having gone back. But I'm willing to give it a go, on the principle that I'd rather he's playing with me under circumstances I control than with his apparently unsupervised friends and relations.

Ideally, what I'd like to find is a relatively non-gory FPS game, where the targets are as non-human as possible (zombies/aliens/etc), that features co-operative (split-screen) play on the wii. Does such a game exist?

Do any of the gamers around here have any recommendations?

Thanks

hayesk
Sep 3rd, 2009, 12:49 PM
Wow, you are basing your opinion of FPS on Wolfenstein 3D? Seriously, that'd be like basing your opinion on sports video games based on Pong.

You may find it hard finding a split-screen game shooter. On a computer, it's easier due to the increased resolution. I don't know of any on the Wii, but I'm not a big FPS gamer myself.

Here are a few great games for Wii:
Single Player:
- Metroid Trilogy. This is an FPS that I do like.
- Super Mario Galaxy
- World of Goo (download)
Multiplayer:
- Mario Kart
- Wii Sports Resort

bryanc
Sep 3rd, 2009, 03:04 PM
Wow, you are basing your opinion of FPS on Wolfenstein 3D? Seriously, that'd be like basing your opinion on sports video games based on Pong.

Hey, I played the *original* Castle Wolfenstein on my Apple ][+. I've certainly seen the modern games, I just don't like them.

You may find it hard finding a split-screen game shooter. On a computer, it's easier due to the increased resolution. I don't know of any on the Wii, but I'm not a big FPS gamer myself.

I can't find any either

Here are a few great games for Wii:
Single Player:
- Metroid Trilogy. This is an FPS that I do like.

As far as I know it doesn't have a co-operative mode. I rented it to try it... hated it. Couldn't get out of the first room. But if it had a co-op mode I'd give it another try.

- Super Mario Galaxy
- World of Goo (download)
Multiplayer:
- Mario Kart
- Wii Sports Resort

We've got SMG and Kart, and the latter, in particular, we really like. But what I'm looking for is definitely a FPS. I'm thinking about renting The Conduit to see if I can stand it... unfortunately I don't think it's got a split-screen co-op mode either.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Cheers

Froggy-san
Sep 3rd, 2009, 05:10 PM
I also recommend Wii Sports Resort -- Just picked it up the other day.

Also, Legend of Zelda - Twilight Princess and Super Punchout!

And give the WiiFit a go... My girlfriend picked it up a couple of days ago and we can't get enough of the thing. Scratch that... She's had enough of it because she hurt her self after 3 hours of WiiFit doing the Jack Knife Yoga pose -- but she'll be back at it as soon as the IcyHot back patch starts working it's magic. :rolleyes:

InvokeMe
Sep 3rd, 2009, 06:00 PM
You could try house of the dead 2 and 3 or Conduit.

bryanc
Sep 3rd, 2009, 06:19 PM
HotD looks about right... and it's cheap. Thanks!

hayesk
Sep 4th, 2009, 12:28 PM
As far as I know it doesn't have a co-operative mode. I rented it to try it... hated it. Couldn't get out of the first room. But if it had a co-op mode I'd give it another try.

Hmm... not sure what to say about that. You didn't notice the four glowing red switches? (hint: look up) But, sorry, no co-op mode. Just one of the best single player FPS around.