: Snow Leopard didn't include Rosetta -- should I install it?

boxlight
Aug 31st, 2009, 11:33 AM
Hi all,

I just realized that when I installed Snow Leopard, I didn't get Rosetta. I own Microsoft Office 2004 (because my wife uses Excel) an it is not a universal binary.

So, do I:

(a) install Rosetta; is there some downside to this I'm not aware of?

or,

(b) upgrade Office -- ug, I hate to give MS more money for such a small need

box

PS. I have tried NeoOffice and it's looks way too sucky IMO -- I've tried getting my wife to use iWork 09's Numbers instead of Excel, but she's not too keen to change

John Clay
Aug 31st, 2009, 11:40 AM
There's no harm in installing Rosetta, however you'll see a performance increase by upgrading to Office 2008.

RunTheWorldOnMac
Aug 31st, 2009, 11:41 AM
C) Tell the wife there is no way to run Offcie 2004 and she could perhaps use NeoOffice or better yet Numbers which IMO is amazing!

i-rui
Aug 31st, 2009, 12:02 PM
There's no harm in installing Rosetta, however you'll see a performance increase by upgrading to Office 2008.

So where would someone install rosetta from? just a regular leopard dvd?

My brother was asking me the other day about snow leopard & rosetta. I thought they were incompatible.... but if an older leopard version would work in snow leopard i'll pass that info on to him.

Manatus
Aug 31st, 2009, 12:11 PM
You don't need to install it. If you try to run a program that requires Rosetta, Snow Leopard will download and install it for you, takes less than a minute. So it's definitely compatible and very easy.

boxlight
Aug 31st, 2009, 12:17 PM
So where would someone install rosetta from? just a regular leopard dvd?

My brother was asking me the other day about snow leopard & rosetta. I thought they were incompatible.... but if an older leopard version would work in snow leopard i'll pass that info on to him.

On the Snow Leopard DVD, there's an "Optional Installs" folder, with an "Optional Installs.mpkg" installer. Run that, and you'll be prompted with a list of optional components, one of them is Rosetta, check it and continue.

At the end of the installation there was a message that "I installed 'older' software and it may not work right" or something like that, I guess they didn't do any serious testing of Rosetta against Snow Leopard because they are on the road to retiring it altogether.

I'll keep using Office 2004, and continue to ease my wife into iWork '09 over time.

used to be jwoodget
Aug 31st, 2009, 12:21 PM
Rosetta is only a 2 MB install. First time you try to run MS Orifice 2004 Software Update will offer to download and install Rosetta for you. Very slick (Rosetta download - not MS software).

EvanPitts
Aug 31st, 2009, 12:35 PM
Converting is all fine and stuff - unless she uses it for work, where they might only allow Office 2004. Many workplaces entirely prohibit docx and xlsx formats, so if one wants a job, they have to go with the flow.

If it is for "home" kinds of use, then Excel is actually the worst possible product, since it has broken and inaccurate mathematical functions, and is the worst product on the market for anything that requires correctness...

HowEver
Aug 31st, 2009, 01:52 PM
Converting is all fine and stuff - unless she uses it for work, where they might only allow Office 2004. Many workplaces entirely prohibit docx and xlsx formats, so if one wants a job, they have to go with the flow.

If it is for "home" kinds of use, then Excel is actually the worst possible product, since it has broken and inaccurate mathematical functions, and is the worst product on the market for anything that requires correctness...

docx is evil.

And no, this isn't Evan posting under another account.

Benito
Aug 31st, 2009, 02:30 PM
I purchased the box set when I got my SL upgrade. I want to switch to using iWork and not use MS Office.

rollee
Jul 4th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Someone forgot about fonts here.
I am forced to install MS office because of Century Gothic and Times New Roman, but that's me cannot live w/o them after all these years, and only recently learned that are MS product.