: iPod Touch 1G won't start

csonni
Aug 30th, 2009, 04:21 PM
After a long trip on the road, my son's iPod Touch 1G just decided to quit. When attempting to start up, the Apple logo will show up and then disappear. The battery was low when the problem appeared but we had it on charge for over a half a day. What can we try next?

monokitty
Aug 30th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Will it mount in Tunes? If yes, restore to factory default. If not, bring it to an Apple Store w/ appointment.

csonni
Aug 30th, 2009, 05:40 PM
No mount. And no Apple Store. Shucks. We were all over the continent up until last night. All sorts of Apple Stores. And I believe all the 1Gs are out of warranty. I have a feeling it's the battery. Won't seem to take a charge. My son also jail broke it, so any remaining warranty would have been voided anyways. We hate to toss the thing. It was working so fine up until this.

csonni
Aug 30th, 2009, 11:13 PM
Well, I got somewhere, I think. I hooked up to the Mac and, while holding both buttons, it [kind of] mounted in iTunes. The iTunes connection with USB also shows on the iPod screen. I was told that it is detected in recovery mode and it must be restored for iTunes to use it. I clicked OK and then quickly clicked Restore before the iPod unmounted. It's now going through the Restore sequence. I think we salvaged this one. Does is still remain jailbroken?

hbp
Aug 31st, 2009, 01:57 AM
Well, I got somewhere, I think. I hooked up to the Mac and, while holding both buttons, it [kind of] mounted in iTunes. The iTunes connection with USB also shows on the iPod screen. I was told that it is detected in recovery mode and it must be restored for iTunes to use it. I clicked OK and then quickly clicked Restore before the iPod unmounted. It's now going through the Restore sequence. I think we salvaged this one. Does is still remain jailbroken?

No, the restore will reinstall the initial firmware I believe.