: Rogers called me a Cash Cow. :)

macintosh doctor
Aug 28th, 2009, 10:29 AM
I finally merged all my Rogers services to one account which has taken months to accomplish with Rogers but I finally received the first bill:

My Rogers bill for my phone internet cable $ 899

I called and inquired loudly - saying my bill has never been correct since i amalgamated my accounts.

They agreed with me... sadly the month before i was given credits for a feature that was to be included with my cell phones ( call forwarding ) they credited my accounts for 2 years of free call forwarding - then said do not pay your current bill. ( so i listened ).. that explains the $899 now :(

I requested to be transfered to customer service....
they answered the telephone after looking over my accounts she replied
"you are a cash cow for rogers."

She then changed my bundle discount rate from 10% to 15%, gave me the PVR HD box for another 12 months for free - as long as i do not leave.. I laughed and said you have my soul for 36 months - where am i going?

then she gave us free long distance of 100 mins for free on both cells, also another $15 off per cell per month- because as she put it.. "you are a cash cow for rogers."

I reluctantly agreed and said you nailed the description..
so my next bill should only be $300 - heres crossing my fingers.
(who knew 2 iphones, HD TV -3 terminals plus internet can be so much?)

G-Mo
Aug 28th, 2009, 10:46 AM
I spend about the same ($300) for pretty much the same:

2 iPhones with 6GB data (Fido)
Bell TV with 1 HD PVR and 2 other digital boxes
Bell Internet 7Mbps

Froggy-san
Aug 28th, 2009, 10:57 AM
I'm all in for Rogers as well. Below is are my totals including any fees or hardware rentals.

Rogers Express Internet - $49.99
10Mbps Down/512kbps Up/60GB monthly cap

Rogers Classic Value Home Phone - $31.31
Unlimited Local/500 Long Distance/Call Display/Voicemail

Rogers iPhone - $96.95
700 Weekday/1000 Long Distance/Unlimited Eve & Weekend (9PM)/6GB Data
2500 SMS Sent/Unlimited SMS Received/Call Display/Visual Voicemail/Call Manager

Rogers Digital Basic TV - $41.96
30 Some-odd Channels and a Digital Terminal

All in all after taxes it runs me a healthy $248.83 a month.

I added up all my bills from being a Rogers customer over the past 10 years -- It's over $17,000. Now that's a cash cow.

bsenka
Aug 28th, 2009, 11:04 AM
$300/mo is an awful lot.

Am I reading this right? You signed a three year contract for your cable and internet? Or is that just for the cell-phones?

macintosh doctor
Aug 28th, 2009, 11:07 AM
$300/mo is an awful lot.

Am I reading this right? You signed a three year contract for your cable and internet? Or is that just for the cell-phones?

I signed a 36 months for wireless, 12 months for internet and cable.
you are reading it correctly. :( - hence the free PVR HD, i assume if i asked for 3 year term then i would have received the PVR for free for 3 years.. but I did not want to tie myself down.. like there is a choice out there.

Froggy-san
Aug 28th, 2009, 11:12 AM
My iPhone still has two years (less a month and a half) left on it's contract.

As for the Home Phone, Interweeb, and TV -- none of those are (or ever were) on contract.

bsenka
Aug 28th, 2009, 11:12 AM
I signed a 36 months for wireless, 12 months for internet and cable.
you are reading it correctly. :( - hence the free PVR HD, i assume if i asked for 3 year term then i would have received the PVR for free for 3 years.. but I did not want to tie myself down.. like there is a choice out there.

Wow. I'm confused as to why a person would sign any contract for cable and internet. I've never heard of such a thing.

macintosh doctor
Aug 28th, 2009, 11:25 AM
Wow. I'm confused as to why a person would sign any contract for cable and internet. I've never heard of such a thing.

Call up customer service and ask for it.. I am sure they will throw in a free PVR HD as well for you too. :)

I took the deal, if you think about it; where i am going in a year? no where.. so why not sign a 12 months deal if they are willing to give me free services.

Macfury
Aug 28th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Were you being facetious or did they actually say "you are a cash cow fo Rogers"? It might be true, but that's pretty shocking for a service agent to mention it.

macintosh doctor
Aug 28th, 2009, 11:38 AM
yup... but i did not disagree.. when it is fact :)
later on she also said you should be taken care off - because you are a money maker for us...

Froggy-san
Aug 28th, 2009, 11:41 AM

Well, if I "bundled" my services I could get 15% off all of them. This would bring my monthly bill down to $211.51 after taxes -- a savings of $37.32 a month.

I'd have to commit to the bundle for 24 months -- however, the only penalty for canceling any of the services is $100 total (not each, total) if in the first year, and $50 in the second year. So if I have them for more than 3 months and then cancel I'll have still saved $11.96.

(Of course this doesn't apply to my iPhone... That has early cancellation fees... But everything else is just a flat $100/$50)

bsenka
Aug 28th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Well, if I "bundled" my services I could get 15% off all of them. This would bring my monthly bill down to $211.51 after taxes -- a savings of $37.32 a month.

I'd have to commit to the bundle for 24 months -- however, the only penalty for canceling any of the services is $100 total (not each, total) if in the first year, and $50 in the second year. So if I have them for more than 3 months and then cancel I'll have still saved $11.96.

(Of course this doesn't apply to my iPhone... That has early cancellation fees... But everything else is just a flat $100/$50)

Nobody around here has anything like that. Bundle discounts, sure. Free PVRs for switching, you bet. But contracts? This is the first time I ever heard of such a thing.

Kosh
Aug 28th, 2009, 12:47 PM
I pay about $220 a month for my TV and Internet through Rogers. Most of that is for the TV as I have a HD PVR and an HD box for the second TV (I bought and own the HD box, though) and pretty much the biggest TV package Rogers has. I still have my home phone through BELL, though, as I don't want all my eggs in one basket. And I don't have a cell-phone.

macintosh doctor
Aug 28th, 2009, 12:54 PM
I still have my home phone through BELL, though, as I don't want all my eggs in one basket. And I don't have a cell-phone.

At this point does it matter if you have everything with one provider? i do not think so..
spreading across many has become tedious having to pay the bills monthly, also hoping that each provider has given you the best offer they have..

so in effort to keep costs down, also managing paperwork i merged everything to one provider, not sure if it is makes sense but to us it did, in the long term - there is no competition in Canada and never will be..

EvanPitts
Aug 28th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Were you being facetious or did they actually say "you are a cash cow fo Rogers"? It might be true, but that's pretty shocking for a service agent to mention it.
It doesn't surprise me - most employees are disgruntled these days.

Not only that, it is the blatant truth, where the consumer gets stiffed with the highest rates in the world for such things, on sucky slow Internet that is "up to 10Mb/s" - when compared to say Korea, where they consider 100Mb/s to be "obsolete" and are now rolling out 1Gb/s - at way less cost.

I couldn't imagine the hell of being a CSR at Fraudjerks, or at Hell Canada - with every call of the day about something outrageous and blatantly stupid on the part of the company. Of course, companies generally do a terrible job at keeping morale up, thinking that holding a weenie roast once a month makes up for the sodomizers that mismanage the place...

EvanPitts
Aug 28th, 2009, 01:55 PM
At this point does it matter if you have everything with one provider?

Of course, such things are theoretical, since Bell is the only "provider" of regular telephone services, cable companies are the only "provider" of cable TV, and who knows who actually "provides" Internet in this country. Going with Bell gives you a real phone but fake TV and throttled and capped fake Internet; going with Rogers gives you real TV but fake telephone and throttled and capped fake Internet; and other choices are some kind of compromise, which if you are lucky, will offer one actual real service coupled with a number of fake services.

Even with cell phones, we get any number of fake services: like Bell with fake cellphones that are not GSM, and can not handle modern devices like the iPhone, or even handle SIM chips; while Rogers has GSM and the iPhone, but features fake services like Fido with obscure payment methods, and with no timeline on when they are going to modernize their system to at least LTE, if not 4G.

Of course, nothing is more outrageous that Bell unrolling UTOS, where they are arbitrarily charging people way more each month for a phone... It is just bad for the consumer all around, with no choices and no alternatives. Even if say, someone went with TekSavvy for Internet, Bell has their fist deep inside where the sun doesn't shine, preventing people from actually using the Internet for anything media. Who really cares if their Internet is "up to 10Mb/s if you can't download or view or listen to anything?

It's time for these companies to be split apart - with Internet being treated like a utility, with a company set up that would roll out proper Internet, with fiber optic in areas that can be serviced with it, and outlying areas serviced by high speed WiMax. It's bad, very bad, when a wealthy country like ours can't even compete with the low cost and high speeds available to Third World nations, like those of East Africa, who recently overhauled us in such things with their very modern new network capabilities...

macintosh doctor
Aug 28th, 2009, 02:00 PM
i did keep my VoIP services with Primus because no one has a service or product comparable to TalkBroadband enterprise for business, not even bell or rogers..

Primus is $29 per line.. with all the bells and whistles.. also it is a true VoIP plug in to ethernet and off I go any where in the World.

Rogers do not have a product nor Bell. Only vonage but they are twice as much also I want to support a brick and mortar / Canadian store not an internet, online US company.

vfr
Aug 28th, 2009, 06:04 PM
I almost cry whenever I think of how much money I've paid to Rogers over the years... :mad:

The only thing they get our money for nowdays is the iPhone (because there is no real other choice). Otherwise we use TekSavvy ADSL (true unlimited downloads - for now) for our Internet. This allowed us to cancel cable and have no need for satellite either. :rolleyes:

SINC
Sep 10th, 2009, 07:23 AM
SPAM. With invisible links. Reported.

macintosh doctor
Sep 10th, 2009, 10:40 AM
SPAM. With invisible links. Reported.

:confused:

really? where and what? interesting.

SINC
Sep 10th, 2009, 10:55 AM

really? where and what? interesting.

It was just above my post. Although it looked innocent, if you highlighted the text, you could clearly see the links in the post to a spam site.

Once reported, it has been deleted. Perhaps the mods should deleted the notification post as well in future so it isn't "lost" all on its own.

macintosh doctor
Sep 10th, 2009, 10:58 AM
they must of got it.. i tried the highlight and nothing happened... interesting you caught that..i would of never though to do that...

SINC
Sep 10th, 2009, 11:14 AM
they must of got it.. i tried the highlight and nothing happened... interesting you caught that..i would of never though to do that...

Credit should go to However who pointed out such a ploy a few days back. ;)

macintosh doctor
Sep 10th, 2009, 11:16 AM
i do have to say that the banners of the advertisers are really hilarious or is it perfect timing..
as I type this in a thread about rogers a banner is reading choose rogers for high speed internet. LOL

hbp
Sep 10th, 2009, 11:23 AM
what you should do is feign a cancel and get sick retention plans to save yourselves $150+ a month

macintosh doctor
Sep 10th, 2009, 11:25 AM
what you should do is feign a cancel and get sick retention plans to save yourselves $150+ a month

sorry i do not understand what you are saying..?

daddymac
Sep 10th, 2009, 12:19 PM
I have bad experience w/ Rogers. They constantly mess up my phone bill and blame it on a "database error." I've heard people whining in the past about Rogers as well. I really don't know why so many people put up with it, myself included. Perhaps because of their monopolization. It's depressing. :(

macintosh doctor
Sep 10th, 2009, 12:20 PM
I have bad experience w/ Rogers. They constantly mess up my phone bill and blame it on a "database error." I've heard people whining in the past about Rogers as well. I really don't know why so many people put up with it, myself included. Perhaps because of their monopolization. It's depressing. :(

I concur with you on both points. especially on the billing point..
:yikes: