: Router Purchasing

MikoMew
Aug 25th, 2009, 07:43 PM
I kinda need help picking a good and cheap router! Please N Thanks! =]

How's this one??
Belkin N150 Enhanced Wireless G Router 802.11G/B 150MBS 2.4GHZ 4PT 10/100 One Touch security Setup (http://www.compu2000.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=8134)

fjnmusic
Aug 25th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Wireless G is yesterday's standard. Today you'd be looking for 802.11n if you want speedy access. I like the Apple Airport Extreme (or the Time Capsule) even though it is pricier than some of the other brands. It works consistently, however.

rgray
Aug 25th, 2009, 10:22 PM
Another vote for Airport routers. Easy to configure and 'just work'....

SINC
Aug 25th, 2009, 10:23 PM
Open the wallet and buy an Extreme. ;)

chas_m
Aug 26th, 2009, 03:29 AM
+1 all of the above. You can go cheap, and you might get lucky. Or you can go Apple and have a happy life. Your choice.

More specifically: when I moved up here I got the fastest connection I could get (10Mbps from Shaw) and the cheapest router I could find (Hawking). It took me a while to discover that I was only getting 2-5Mbps via wireless. Ran through the gamut of "tricks" to try. Replaced the Hawking with a Linksys. No difference.

Replaced the Linksys with an Apple. WHOA NELLY! 10Mbps+! Now that's what I'm talkin' about!

http://www.speedtest.net/result/548713724.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

SINC
Aug 26th, 2009, 09:38 AM
Yes chas_m, my experience was similar when I switched to a new dual band Apple Extreme on Telus DSL:

Mckitrick
Aug 27th, 2009, 05:32 AM
I've been quite happy with a Linksys WRT-54GL and DD-WRT firmware loaded onto it. You can find these routers going on sale fairly regularly at NCIX or Canadacomputers. The lowest I've seen them is around $50 on sale.

DD-WRT is free. You *can* pay for it but the free variants work perfectly.

I haven't used a time capsule/airport extreme so I can't gush at how good they are but I reckon they're pretty good too albeit a tad pricey. ;)

John Clay
Aug 27th, 2009, 10:43 AM
I've ditched my Apple routers, and I'm not going back. Unstable and unreliable, and expensive.

Linksys with Tomato (or DD-WRT) is the only router I'll use now.

HowEver
Aug 27th, 2009, 10:48 AM
I've ditched my Apple routers, and I'm not going back. Unstable and unreliable, and expensive.

Linksys with Tomato (or DD-WRT) is the only router I'll use now.

I missed that part of your ad when you ditched one. Good thing it's a great router for most people.

** SOLD **

AirPort Extreme 802.11n, Gigabit model. Like new, no scratches etc. Includes power cable, but not original box.

* Three Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports for connecting computers or network devices
* Wireless networking router based on the 802.11n draft standard (2.4GHz and 5GHz)
* Interoperable with Wi-Fi Certified 802.11a, 802.11b, and 802.11g Mac computers and Windows-based PCs
* Up to 5 times faster and twice the range of 802.11g routers
* USB port turns external hard drives, printers, and other devices into network resources (over Internet as well)

$130 OBO. Local pickup/meetup only.

https://www.ehmac.ca/mac-related-accessories/78045-airport-extreme-802-11n-gigabit.html

bsenka
Aug 27th, 2009, 11:11 AM
I had a Belkin router (bought it because I wanted to save money), it really didn't work well at all, and when it did, it was slow.

So, I bought a refurb Airport Extreme, and it's been rocket fast and totally trouble free.

bhil
Aug 27th, 2009, 11:25 AM
So far I've tried Belkin (horrible), LinkSys (almost as bad as the Belkin), DLink (so-so) and an Airport Express which worked great. Because the Express has worked so good (an because my external hard drive died) I'm know moving up to a Time Capsule. I would reccomend sticking with Apple products, the Express if you want cheaper or the Extreme/Time Capsule otherwise.

John Clay
Aug 27th, 2009, 11:31 AM
I missed that part of your ad when you ditched one. Good thing it's a great router for most people.

https://www.ehmac.ca/mac-related-accessories/78045-airport-extreme-802-11n-gigabit.html

There's a reason I was selling it. While they may be fine for people with simple/light usage networks, they aren't ready for anything complex.

rgray
Aug 27th, 2009, 11:56 AM
There's a reason I was selling it. While they may be fine for people with simple/light usage networks, they aren't ready for anything complex.

Au contraire.. :D

It was exactly when I came to need a more complex setup that I finally turned on to Airport gear. I had been running LinkSys stuff - WRT11B, then a WRT54G. I used WET11Bs and WET54Gs to give wirelessly connected, remote ethernet ports for our printers. I never did anything with the firmware on any of these and to be honest they were faultless.

We opened up another room and it became clear that we would have to go WDS to get around a couple of internal brick walls. The Airport Express seemed like the ideal solution so I got one but making it work with the LinkSys required enough jiggery-pokery with firmwares and such that I looked at the Extreme also. Together, AEBS as base, AX as remote the WDS was easy to set up right out of the Airport Utility menus.

The WDS works out perfectly and I have just got another AX to add more functionality. And if I order a TC, the Extreme can be an ethernet muti-port and signal repeater (we have a number of signal-unfriendly areas) remote/relay - all setup with a few clicks in AU.......

YMMV.

chas_m
Aug 28th, 2009, 12:41 AM

I've installed dozens of AEs for various companies of small-to-medium (500 people) size. There's really nothing nearly as good short of industrial stuff.

Sorry you had a bad experience with them, but as is obvious in this thread (full of geeks, we might remember) your experience is the outlier, not the norm.

Even sorrier you appear to have deceptively sold yours without disclosing to the buyer that you had issues with it. Are you always that unethical?

fjnmusic
Aug 30th, 2009, 03:34 AM
Yes chas_m, my experience was similar when I switched to a new dual band Apple Extreme on Telus DSL:

So I take it this would be a good result then? (Shaw high speed/Apple Extreme router)

chas_m
Aug 30th, 2009, 07:12 AM
So I take it this would be a good result then? (Shaw high speed/Apple Extreme router)

That upload speed is terrible. At that rate of download you should be getting AT LEAST 1Mbit upload. You should re-test that.

KC4
Aug 30th, 2009, 04:53 PM
I'm very happy with my AE TC router's speed....BUT,

For some reason, yet to be identified, it will not allow me to wirelessly print as the box said it would. The printer (HP PSC 2355 all-in-one) prints fine directly connected and the AE TC seems to recognize it as connected, but comm errs out when I try to print with it.. Huh?

Is my printer just too old and not wireless compatible? If so, too bad because this old beast is an otherwise reliable workhorse.

2. I live in a 2 story house with basement - the AC TE is upstairs in the office but sometimes we like to wirelessly surf on MacBooks in the basement and the signal is sometimes sketchy...disappointing.

fjnmusic
Aug 30th, 2009, 05:09 PM
That upload speed is terrible. At that rate of download you should be getting AT LEAST 1Mbit upload. You should re-test that.

Yes, but you're missing the point, Chas. The download speed is more than twice what you were getting. Nice ping, too. ;)

chas_m
Aug 31st, 2009, 02:50 AM
Yes, but you're missing the point, Chas. The download speed is more than twice what you were getting. Nice ping, too. ;)

I pay for 10Mbps and get 12-15 (sometimes up to 20) ... I'm happy. You might well be paying for a different "tier" of service than I am.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/552586043.png (http://www.speedtest.net)

I think you'll find an even more pleasing "ping" in the result I just got. But my point was that no matter what my download speed is, my upload speed never varies much. It should be the same for you (and I would have thought you'd get better upload speeds).

jicon
Sep 1st, 2009, 03:35 PM

Agreed. You get good range on the dual band AEs, but certainly lacking in terms of gigabit ports, and no way of prioritizing traffic.

Pretty reliable for small business with no external traffic priority concerns, but definitely night and day feature wise compared to the Linksys with Tomato firmware.

hhk
Sep 1st, 2009, 04:33 PM
I've been through about half a dozen wireless routers in the past few years. I've settled on Linksys as the best performing routers at the best price. Dlink was consistently junk.

I owned an AE. I bought it mainly for the AirDisk feature which never worked well for me. Connection to the external disk was intermittent which is not something you want from a backup facility.

I also found that the AE did not give me significant better range than the Linksys.