: stereo speakers - what was I thinking?

winwintoo
Aug 25th, 2009, 04:11 PM
I often listen to audiobooks on my MacBook. Our library as a free download service but most of the books are Windows only. They play well in VM Fusion, but the MacBook doesn't provide sufficient volume for these old ears.

I have a set of stereo speakers that work to boost the volume, but they are an awkward shape and won't sit nicely on a table. And there's two of them. Can I safely cut the cord from the second one? Will the remaining speaker still work?

None of these books are read in stereo and given the poor narration of most of them, less quality is often better.

Anybody know?

Why did I buy these? What was I thinking.

Margaret

SINC
Aug 25th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Why not simply turn the left volume control to zero and listen to the single right speaker? (Or vice versa)

Just leave the one speaker where you want to listen and the other behind the Macbook or even on the floor. That way if you ever need stereo, you still have it, yet you still get your desired mono sound.

winwintoo
Aug 25th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Tiny little apartment, too much junk. My side tables are full of craft stuff and there's no place to put the two speakers. I want to eliminate one altogether if I can.

I can't listen to music anyway because of an ear problem, so I'll never need stereo.

I'm sure they used to sell speakers that were separate?

Margaret

Lichen Software
Aug 25th, 2009, 04:33 PM
I'd think twice about cutting the wire. Computer speakers have their own preamp. I don't know about now, but it used to be that some amps would blow if they were run without a speaker load or run without a speaker with enough ohm rating.

Try headphones and a long extension.

rgray
Aug 25th, 2009, 05:48 PM
I'd think twice about cutting the wire.

Besides the small potential for fire....

What you really need is to fold both right and left into one. Cutting off one speaker won't do that. It'll just cut out one whole side of the 'stage' unless you manipulate the balance to send the entire sound panorama down one channel.

Try headphones and a long extension.

Bluetooth..... and skip the extension.

MLeh
Aug 25th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Definitely don't cut a wire.

I'd second (or third) the headphones option.

Macified
Aug 25th, 2009, 06:10 PM
I bought my first set of Logitech V20 laptop speakers for $90 a few years ago and another pair at Sig Electronics recently for $20. They plug into the USB port and use this for both audio and power. The second speaker plugs into the first and can be left unplugged without issue. The only problem is that these are USB only; there is no way to plug in my iPod or iPhone or any other audio signal, computer only.

If you can get a set of these you have minimal crap around the laptop. The volume is probably as good as that of the ones pictures above and the sound has always been reasonable.

I listen to lots of audio books as well and these have always worked well.

winwintoo
Aug 25th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Headphones are not an option for me.

I do very intricate beadwork while I listen and the wires get in the way - I've tried it every which way I can and it's just not going to work. Plus I have a hearing problem and sound that close to my ears gets distorted.

My question was pretty simple I thought. Can I rid myself of some of the bulk of these speakers. Answer seems to be no, so if you hang around in back alleys near Winnipeg St. and Victoria Ave. You'll find them in the dumpster.

Thanks, Margaret

rgray
Aug 25th, 2009, 06:14 PM
headphones are not an option for me.

- the wires get in the way -

bluetooth

winwintoo
Aug 25th, 2009, 07:01 PM
I'll look around for some speakers that are not hard wired together. Don't think the budget will extend to bluetooth but we'll see.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Margaret

Macified
Aug 25th, 2009, 08:05 PM
Logitech also makes a V10 version which isn't as powerful or full sounding as the V20 but is cheaper. Ebay has V20 from about $25 if you don't mind going that route.

Good luck finding what you need.