: Kudos to Toronto

Dr.G.
Aug 24th, 2009, 07:04 AM
Aug 24, 2009 04:30 AM
"Brace yourself, Toronto we have a winner.

Never fearing to go where the Blue Jays, Maple Leafs, Raptors, Argonauts, TFC, etc., have rarely gone of late, the Toronto Nationals yesterday won the Major League Lacrosse championship.

Don't know who they are?

Well, the Nationals are in their first year of operation in the semi-professional field lacrosse league. They played their home games at BMO Field, qualified for the playoffs and swept to victory on the league's final tournament weekend, held in Annapolis, Md."

TheStar.com | Lacrosse | Nationals rock Outlaws to capture field lacrosse title (http://www.thestar.com/sports/lacrosse/article/685551)

Kudos to one and all in TO.:clap::clap::eek::clap:

EvanPitts
Aug 24th, 2009, 01:09 PM
^^^
No, never heard of them - but it will give the two hundred and forty three people in Toronto that have something to celebrate! beejacon

It's sad that they don't even cover successful teams on the local sports shows, preferring to fill their time with endless coverage of the futility that the Leafs have represented for two generations...

Manatus
Aug 24th, 2009, 01:19 PM
It's sad that they don't even cover successful teams on the local sports shows, preferring to fill their time with endless coverage of the futility that the Leafs have represented for two generations...

Well, how much do we hear about our gold-medal athletes in between Olympics? Less than we hear about Canadian baseball players on American minor league teams, or a Canadian who gets a tryout for an NFL team, not to mention even junior hockey teams. That's why there are so many "believe in the dream" and "support our athletes" type commercials on TV now, because without them, the average Canadian probably couldn't name 5 (if any) current Canadian athletes who are not from hockey, baseball, football, soccer or golf. Of course, that doesn't stop anyone from feverishly waving their flags and pretending that they've thought about any of these people even once outside of Olympics time.

Dr.G.
Aug 24th, 2009, 02:22 PM
^^^
No, never heard of them - but it will give the two hundred and forty three people in Toronto that have something to celebrate! beejacon

Evan, they covered this success on OUR local sports news here in St. John's. I think that one of their players was the #1 lacrosse player here in NL.

EvanPitts
Aug 24th, 2009, 02:49 PM
^^^
Yeah, they just don't have time to cover it here, since the sports news mostly consists of the Phoenix Coyotes farce that is on the go. And that news is almost as endless as the Michael Jackson Death Investigation. In a month, they will start up all of the talk about the Leafs rebuilding, and how they are the best team on paper - while by January, the Leafs news will mostly be composed of the mathematical possibility of them snagging the final wildcard spot in the playoffs, but only of a half dozen other teams end up with all of their players with broken legs or key injuries, or sun belt teams forced into mid-season bankruptcy. Of course, if a dozen teams end up with the influenza pandemic and are forced to forfeit games, the Leafs may have a chance - but they would end up being blown out of the first round anyways.

I think Toronto needs a little bit of a pep talk when it comes to their sports teams, and maybe some of the Leafs executives can examine what created this Lacrosse success and implement those things with the Leafs themselves. And it may be better if the Jays weren't 20 games behind as well...

hayesk
Aug 24th, 2009, 02:54 PM
I thought they were called the Toronto Rock? At least they were back when Ottawa had a Lacrosse team.

EvanPitts
Aug 24th, 2009, 02:56 PM
Well, how much do we hear about our gold-medal athletes in between Olympics?

Most of such knowledge comes from banking or McDonald's commercials - and some when a Canadian ends up in second place behind an athelete that is so hyped up with blood doping, horse steroids and meals composed of solid proteins, they can't tell if it is a she or a he without extensive scientific examinations...

... the average Canadian probably couldn't name 5 (if any) current Canadian athletes who are not from hockey, baseball, football, soccer or golf.

I think I can, um, Elvis Stoiko, Elizabeth Manley, that French chick that always fell in competitions but looked hot doing that, Steve Podborski and Gilles Villenueve. Of course, they are as retired as Norther Dancer. As for current, hmmm... That's a tough one, especially if I can't use any of the TiCats.

Manatus
Aug 24th, 2009, 03:17 PM
I thought they were called the Toronto Rock? At least they were back when Ottawa had a Lacrosse team.

According to wikipedia, the Toronto Rock play in the National Lacrosse League, whereas the Toronto Nationals play in Major League Lacrosse. Learn something every day!

Macified
Aug 24th, 2009, 04:46 PM
According to wikipedia, the Toronto Rock play in the National Lacrosse League, whereas the Toronto Nationals play in Major League Lacrosse. Learn something every day!

The Rock play indoor or 'box' lacrosse while The Nationals are outdoor or 'field' lacrosse. Different games with similar tools and rules.

Didn't make it out to any games this season but hope they stick around so I can get behind them.