: Program for burning slideshows

macdoodle
Aug 23rd, 2009, 09:53 PM
Hello Everyone!
I am a newbie on the Mac and feel as if I have been released from 'slavery' LOL!
However, I am not totally understanding the function of IDVD and am looking for a decent program that will let me burn copies (and add on) for people who have PC.

(a breeder friend of mine wants me to record from birth to the time the puppy goes home with it's new 'parents'... slideshow is best for me but I cannot be there every day or so,
the DVD is a gift to the owners.... )
I digress... I understand IDVD is a one shot only program?? that being said, can I record more than one at a time.... like highlight 4 little shows and record them all on the one disc?

I have been looking into Roxio Toast 10 for Mac and it seems to be a good program, it does not say (as I recollect) the you can add on to a particular disc.... it is a feature I would love above all else and the program is a bit high for me right now.....
any feedback would be helpful, i would hate to spend the $$ to find out it is not the right program for my needs....

Thank you...:)

oh, one more thing..... what is the difference between DVD - R and DVD + R??
the young fellow at Apple told me it didn't matter what it meant... I told him to me it did.... he said he wasn't sure but he thought the -R meant it could run on a PC as well as a Mac....
I would like a little help here too... Thanks! ;)

eMacMan
Aug 23rd, 2009, 10:04 PM
Sorry I can't answer more of your questions. DVD-R is the industry standard and should work on any DVD player or computer. DVD+R supposedly has a superior write/verify method but seems to be hit or miss as to how well it works away from the source computer.

chas_m
Aug 24th, 2009, 12:32 AM
I understand IDVD is a one shot only program?? that being said, can I record more than one at a time.... like highlight 4 little shows and record them all on the one disc?

No, the concept you're talking about ("multi-session DVD burning") is almost unknown on Macs because such programs have HORRIBLE compatibility issues with Macs, PCs and DVD players. These days, USB drives have replaced the concept of multi-burn CD/DVD sessions pretty thoroughly.

What you want to do is simply collect the various videos until you are ready to burn THE ONE DISC, then use Toast or iDVD or whatever to burn it. DVD-RW discs make it possible to erase and re-record the ENTIRE disc, but do not make multi-session possible.

oh, one more thing..... what is the difference between DVD - R and DVD + R??

Nothing much. DVD-R = more compatible with older players. DVD+R = burns a bit faster.

macdoodle
Aug 24th, 2009, 12:14 PM
Thanks to both of you for this information, I will try out your suggestion to burn all clips at the same time, I have a few older clips that I can practice on.... just to be certain of the method, I am hoping it will work in IDVD, it will save me a trip to the city, and a few $$ besides... I will let you know how it goes...
Do you think Toast would be an easier tool to work with?
thanks!

johnb1
Aug 25th, 2009, 11:23 AM
as I understand it, you'd want to stitch all your clips together, then burn 'em a DVD, right

yeah, iDVD, I think will do that, then snag a copy of "Burn" (free, afaik) and burn a dvd
I think it's -R, but I've had good result with +R too. There you can specify mac+pc compatibility

just remember to use a good quality blank DVD. I get me Verbatim at the dollar store, and at 2 blank dvd's for a buck, how can you lose

just my 2cents, 5 cents with HST and local access fee

John B

chas_m
Aug 26th, 2009, 03:41 AM
Do you think Toast would be an easier tool to work with?
thanks!

Toast is easier to work with if you don't need fancy menus, or (most importantly) if the clips you're talking about are not really DVD-ready (ie not already in very common formats that iDVD accepts), since Toast will just convert them without complaint.

iDVD is designed with home-video (ie your own personal videos shot with a camcorder) in mind, though it can be used for other things (I made a great "Doctor Who Specials" DVD with it, custom menus and everything). Toast is designed more to bring a wide variety of video types together and convert them as needed to make a DVD.

SINC
Aug 26th, 2009, 09:33 AM
I have used Toast for years, currently version 10 and find it incredibly easy to use.