: CRTC won't name firms in do-not-call probe

Ottawaman
Aug 22nd, 2009, 10:18 PM
CRTC won't name firms in do-not-call probe
CBC News

The CRTC is refusing to identify three telemarketers accused of knowingly violating the national do-not-call list, according to a report by the Toronto Star.

The regulator will hold secret talks next week to determine if the telemarketers called any of the more than seven million Canadian numbers on the list. But a spokesman for the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission declined to identify the telemarketers and refused to supply the newspaper with any files relating to the case, saying that at this stage they have only been accused of breaking the rules.

An access-to-information request made by the newspaper in July also failed to turn up any information. The Star said the CRTC replied by saying that "a thorough search of our files has revealed that there are no documents pertaining to your requests."

read more (http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2009/08/21/crtc-secret-do-not-call-list.html)

The CRTC has outlived its usefulness. It's a political patronage post.
Reform it or close it down.

Ottawaman
Aug 22nd, 2009, 10:23 PM
Petition spurs CRTC debate (http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2009/08/20/crtc-dissolve-petition-telus.html)

SINC
Aug 22nd, 2009, 10:24 PM
The CRTC has outlived its usefulness. It's a political patronage post.
Reform it or close it down.

:clap::clap:

Ottawaman
Aug 22nd, 2009, 10:27 PM
We need an agency that actually fulfils the mandate of the CRTC, not pays lip service to it.
Without any regulatory body we would be ill served, but at this rate it's hard to see the benefit we derive from this farce.

[QUOTE]I particularly enjoyed their ruling that CABLE/SAT companies should pay a 1.5 percent charge for local programming only to have the CABLE/SAT companies turn around and directly charge their clients that fee. It was supposed to be absorbed by the companies not charged to the clients directly... but then who were they fooling with that one. The CRTC stands against competition and fair pricing in this country. The Cable/Sat/phone companies control it and we get the shaft.[/QUOTE

]CBC.ca Member Centre (http://www.cbc.ca/membercentre/ViewMember.aspx?u=7649541)

chas_m
Aug 22nd, 2009, 10:37 PM
I don't have an opinion on the CRTC, but if it's not transparent in its dealings then I don't approve of it. This applies to most other functions of government except where secrecy is necessary (like national security).

Ottawaman
Aug 22nd, 2009, 10:47 PM
Chas, it's an "old boys" club that rubber stamps the telecommunication Oligarchy in Canada under the auspices of protecting our common culture.
I don't hate its original mandate, but it has been perverted.

CRTC origins: history and chronology | CRTC (http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/backgrnd/brochures/b19903.htm)

The G3 Man
Aug 22nd, 2009, 11:20 PM
:clap::clap:

Sinc Dude! i hit my screen thinking there was a bug on it! :rolleyes:

Sorry for being off-topic

Morgan

Ottawaman
Aug 22nd, 2009, 11:26 PM
Not too sorry to remove your post ;)
Perhaps Sinc's bug is a tribute to Canadian Heritage?:D

macintosh doctor
Aug 22nd, 2009, 11:27 PM
it seems ever since i posted my number the calls have increased, not to mention more from the American Marketers than Canadian.. :(

boy do i regret putting in my numbers.

HowEver
Aug 22nd, 2009, 11:34 PM
I really can't believe people willingly gave their phone numbers to a "do not call" list, trusting that it wouldn't be used for the exact opposite purpose.

A whole country of people who were born yesterday?

If they dismantle the CRTC what difference would it make? People already complain about the CRTC with respect to areas where it has absolutely no purview And they keep electing governments that specifically run on the basis of having less 'interference' in their lives. Then when governments fail to act on areas where they gave up their right to rule, and got rid of agencies that would act on rules that no longer exist... people act surprised.

Why would anyone expect any fewer calls after giving their numbers to telemarketers? And who do you think you're going to complain to, the government that sold telemarketers your number?

eMacMan
Aug 23rd, 2009, 12:24 AM
I don't have an opinion on the CRTC, but if it's not transparent in its dealings then I don't approve of it. This applies to most other functions of government except where secrecy is necessary (like national security).

Actually transparency is also crucial in the case of national security. Otherwise people who speak out against the administration end up on the no fly list, and congressmen who stand up for the constitution become victims of the Homeland Gestapo Gang.

AppleAuthority
Aug 23rd, 2009, 03:39 AM
Why would anyone expect any fewer calls after giving their numbers to telemarketers? And who do you think you're going to complain to, the government that sold telemarketers your number?

Thank you. :clap:
The "do not call list" is the government-approved list of prospects for telemarketers. It comes complete with a list of active, real numbers associated with real people.

What an excellent idea. :rolleyes:

EvanPitts
Aug 24th, 2009, 01:22 PM
^^^
It's another example of an excellent idea that people want to have - but implemented badly, with a swiss cheese policy, and back room shenanigans which has seen zero fines levied and zero telemarketing firm CEOs and executives serving hard jail time. We might as well not have it if it is going to be this bad...

GratuitousApplesauce
Aug 24th, 2009, 02:46 PM
I really can't believe people willingly gave their phone numbers to a "do not call" list, trusting that it wouldn't be used for the exact opposite purpose.

A whole country of people who were born yesterday?

.... snip ...

Mea culpa. I certainly wasn't born yesterday, (certainly not) but I submitted both the home phone and my cell. I was happy at the time that the government seemed to finally be doing something about spam calls and I (naively) thought that its use would somehow be controlled. Didn't really think through the implications of that. :o

I believe there was a thread at the time on ehMac where a number of people talked about putting their names on it.

But, I have found that the telemarketing calls I get on the home phone have actually decreased a fair bit. The firms on the up-and-up are likely following the rules. The ones I still do get are from less-mainstream or US sources and from one particularly aggressive charity, which is exempt anyway.

But I should never have put my cell on the list, that number wasn't listed anywhere, like my home number is, and now I get the occasional spam call on it, that costs me money if I happen to answer it.

EvanPitts
Aug 24th, 2009, 03:06 PM
^^^
I found that adding myself to the CMA's no-call list was more effective than the Government's list. Most people don't know that the CMA even has a list, or who the CMA is, but adding myself to that list got rid of a large number of calls.

Of course, most, if not all the calls I get now are from shady places, with canned messages "to reduce credit card interest", and other such nonsense, which can only be remedied if the phone services actually levy the real costs of long distance upon those "businesses"...