: Cat killed a Mac laptop and insurance will give $500 in exchange for the body

MACenstein'sMonster
Aug 19th, 2009, 04:13 AM
A lady I know told me her cat seriously damaged her Mac laptop. Her insurance will pay the first $500.00 for a replacement laptop but they want the damaged Mac as well. Is this typical of an insurance situation involving damaged merchandise?

minnes
Aug 19th, 2009, 04:17 AM
It doesn't sound unreasonable.

I'd give them the cat too.

MACenstein'sMonster
Aug 19th, 2009, 04:30 AM
It doesn't sound unreasonable.

I'd give them the cat too.

Dead or alive? :D

BTW, the lady feels that since she footed the bill for the first laptop and pays her yearly insurance premium that the insure dudes should have no claims to the broken Mac.

BlackViper
Aug 19th, 2009, 08:25 AM
That's how my home insurance works. Anything that I want to claim as a loss becomes property of my insurer. Why does she want to keep it anyway? If repairable, it's not a total loss and insurance should only cover the repair bill; otherwise give it to your insurance company and have them replace it under the terms of your insurance.

RunTheWorldOnMac
Aug 19th, 2009, 08:37 AM
If the insurance pays anything for an item, they keep it. This is the same with vehicles. A friend wrote of his motorbike and they wouldn't even let him buy it from them.

If they are paying out something, why would one expect to keep it?

imactheknife
Aug 19th, 2009, 09:52 AM
sometimes in the past the insurer offers the damaged or stolen item to you and also some money to cover the damages or replacement. I think it depends on the insurer.

keebler27
Aug 19th, 2009, 09:56 AM
totally off topic, but that cat would be a goner in my house.

omg.

MLeh
Aug 19th, 2009, 10:06 AM
"Her insurance will pay the first $500.00 for a replacement laptop"

If they were paying the entire cost of a replacement laptop - they could have the old one.

If they were paying the entire cost of a replacement laptop, less the deductible - they could have the old one.

But, seeing as they're only paying the first $500 ... I'd personally not make a claim on my insurance.

eMacMan
Aug 19th, 2009, 10:43 AM
I believe this started with cars that had been written off. The insurance companies like to sell the corpses to car thieves that retrieve the dashboard VIN and attach it to stolen vehicles. This makes it easier for the thief to sell stolen vehicles and gives the insurance companies an excuse to raise their rates.beejacon

Since the Hard drive may be intact and contain useful data and they are not paying for a complete replacement, a good compromise would be to turn over the laptop less the HD.

Otherwise remove the HD place in an external case, if it runs recover all critical data then do a secure erase of the HD.

hayesk
Aug 19th, 2009, 12:55 PM
"Her insurance will pay the first $500.00 for a replacement laptop"

If they were paying the entire cost of a replacement laptop - they could have the old one.

If they were paying the entire cost of a replacement laptop, less the deductible - they could have the old one.

It depends. If I have a 500MHz G4 iBook that was destroyed, I would expect the insurance company to give me the cost of buying a used 500MHz G4 iBook (i.e. the depreciated value), not a brand new Unibody MacBook Pro.

MACenstein'sMonster
Aug 19th, 2009, 03:11 PM
I believe this started with cars that had been written off. The insurance companies like to sell the corpses to car thieves that retrieve the dashboard VIN and attach it to stolen vehicles. This makes it easier for the thief to sell stolen vehicles and gives the insurance companies an excuse to raise their rates.beejacon

Since the Hard drive may be intact and contain useful data and they are not paying for a complete replacement, a good compromise would be to turn over the laptop less the HD.

Otherwise remove the HD place in an external case, if it runs recover all critical data then do a secure erase of the HD.

Ah yes, she did mention that the insurance company considered the laptop "salvageable". Maybe the HD is intact. I'll ask her and get more details. But in the meantime it sounds like this situation of hers is not unusual.

For myself personally, I have not made an insurance claim since I had a bike stolen (my main mode of transportation at the time) over 15 years ago - what a mistake that was.

dona83
Aug 19th, 2009, 05:34 PM
When I read the topic I thought the insurance company wanted the body of the cat.

macintosh doctor
Aug 19th, 2009, 05:51 PM
A lady I know told me her cat seriously damaged her Mac laptop. Her insurance will pay the first $500.00 for a replacement laptop but they want the damaged Mac as well. Is this typical of an insurance situation involving damaged merchandise?

basically the insurance is buying the damaged unit for $500 - that is the way insurance works.. also they have to verify that the unit is toast and no one is claiming false claims..

so yes your friend needs to get rid of the cat and the laptop to insurance..

i bought new sofa's - on my visa platinum and the animal cat i have shredded the sofa, so i claimed the sofa's... took the cat to the vet to be put down; the insurance said we want the sofa's, instead i had them re upholster for half the cost of write off.

BTW - wife veto the Cat thing.. Vet called 2 days later and said your cat is ready for pick up, i replied why would i want the ashes? Vet laughed said no your wife veto you and got the claws removed instead... :(

BigDL
Aug 19th, 2009, 07:15 PM
In MY household ONE word from me and my wife will do as she pleases as well.