: Window vs. portable air conditioners

satchmo
Aug 17th, 2009, 11:26 PM
I picked up a window AC today to combat the 40 degree temps here in Toronto.
I've got it cranked for like 2 hours and it's still just barely cool in the room.

It's got enough BTU's for my third floor room size. It's energy rated, so what gives? Does this thing have to be on for 5+ hours to make any difference? I want it to be shopping mall cool!!

Are portable ones with the hose to the window any better? I've read they may not be as efficient. But the one at the local HomeDepot was feeling mighty cool.

medic03
Aug 18th, 2009, 01:30 AM
Do you have the room closed off (i.e. door closed). I turned my window unit on and the room 19'/12' went from 27 degrees and 60 percent humidity to 19 degrees and just under 50 percent humidity - it is quite comfortable now. It took a few hours to get it this cool.

johnnyspade
Aug 18th, 2009, 09:15 AM
As medic03 indicated, you do need to seal the room. The tighter the space, the easier it is to cool.

I purchased my first air conditioner this Summer to cool my office in the attic of my house. It's well insulated up here but still gets pretty hot. I have a couple of skylights but they don't exhaust much air when it's muggy. I bought a Haier Commercial Cool CPN10XC9 (http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0926INGFS10127948&catid=20201&logon=&langid=EN) portable air conditioner. I purchased it from Best Buy on sale for $329, but I can see it's out of stock there now. I believe Home Depot sells them as well. My office is about 300 sq. ft. and it only takes about 10 minutes to cool the room 5 or 6 degrees. As I sit here this morning, the temperature was 80 degrees up here and it's 74 degrees now after about 10 minutes.

I purchased this particular unit because it was auto-evaporating so no water bucket to empty and it's true to its word in that respect. last Saturday it was on pretty solidly for about 10 hours. It also functions as a dehumidifier. The one caveat it has, any many air conditioner will suffer from this, is that it's very loud when the compressor kicks in. Depending on how cool you want the space this will shut off at your set temperature and leave the fan on which is much quieter.

satchmo
Aug 18th, 2009, 11:06 AM
Perhaps I just need to be a bit more patient to achieve the coolness I want. Plus, it may be that I haven't completely sealed it properly my window screen doesn't come off. I may have to cut the screen so the unit sits a bit more extruded and I can mount it properly.

Or I may go for a portable one and only have to seal a 3" opening.

hayesk
Aug 18th, 2009, 04:50 PM
I purchased this particular unit because it was auto-evaporating so no water bucket to empty and it's true to its word in that respect.... It also functions as a dehumidifier.

Where does the evapourated water go? Is it vented to outside?

I had to laugh at this part of the review for this unit:
Although this model is considered portable, be aware that it requires a window to exhaust hot air.
Where do they think the heat is going to go?

johnnyspade
Aug 18th, 2009, 09:43 PM
From what I understand, the water gets evaporated on the cooling fins. I like this effect actually as prevents the air from getting dry which is something I've always hated about some offices I have worked in.

There isn't anything that sits outside the window at all. There is a 5 or 6 inch hose that attaches to a bracket that sits in the window. There isn't any part of it that hangs outside which is probably a key reason these types of units are popular in apartments. I assume most landlords/councils wouldn't have a problem with it.

BigDL
Aug 20th, 2009, 11:53 PM
Windows vs OS X no contest.

My question is portable air conditioner a better operating system than plain old windows? If so M$ has lot of work ahead of it to catch up there as well.

macintosh doctor
Aug 22nd, 2009, 11:33 PM
The last time i purchased a in window air conditioner was over 10 years ago, but i did build a frame and spray foam it in to seal it properly but also a side note - i think the back side has to be at a slight angle downward so it drains properly.. i also over BTU the rating.. sort of over killed because as you said - i like it meat locker cold...

I did buy a stand up unit with hoses once leading to the window, did not have much luck but to be honest i never really spent the effort to do it properly so i returned it - again that was 8 years ago, so i assume they have gotten better.

just my 2 cents and experience. :)

ertman
Aug 23rd, 2009, 08:40 AM
Using Windows to keep cool, works, but not necessarily that effective as the media is only about 4" wide and doesn't provide much air movement.

Chimpur
Aug 23rd, 2009, 12:18 PM
As for sealing the opening. Try some foam. The thick kind like comes in a pillow size . Then duct tape over it. Worked for me when I lived in an apartment.

esquilo22
Aug 26th, 2009, 12:21 PM
From what I understand, the water gets evaporated on the cooling fins. I like this effect actually as prevents the air from getting dry which is something I've always hated about some offices I have worked in.

There isn't anything that sits outside the window at all. There is a 5 or 6 inch hose that attaches to a bracket that sits in the window. There isn't any part of it that hangs outside which is probably a key reason these types of units are popular in apartments. I assume most landlords/councils wouldn't have a problem with it.

Are they as good as the ones with a hose?