: The time has come to regulate the billing practices of cable and satellite companies

Ottawaman
Aug 12th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Cable and satellite companies are erroneously informing customers that the CRTC’s “Local Program Improvement Fund (LPIF)” is responsible for these fee hikes. This is just wrong.

Under cloak of the LPIF, cable and satellite companies are increasing customer bills to enhance profits. Cable and satellite companies will begin paying into the LPIF in September. This is not new. What is new is the attempt by cable and satellite companies to download the cost of their regulatory obligations on customers.

These anti-consumer billing practices by cable and satellite companies are contrary to the recommendations from the CRTC on the LPIF: “the Commission is of the view that there is no justification for BDUs [cable and satellite companies] to pass along any increased costs relating to the LPIF… to their subscribers.”

At a time when cable and satellite companies are experiencing record revenues and profits, Canadians deserve better including open and transparent billing practices from TV service providers.

THE TIME HAS COME TO REGULATE THE BILLING PRACTICES OF CABLE AND SATELLITE COMPANIES (http://savelocal.ctv.ca/toronto/)

Viewers' satellite, cable cost going up (http://www.thestar.com/business/article/679158)

When will viewers be able to choose their channels individually, instead of in bundles?
There are many channels I am forced to buy in order to have one channel I want.
I don't have to buy a whole shelf of groceries at the grocery store to get the one can of corn I want to buy.

Max
Aug 12th, 2009, 09:29 PM
Screw regulation. You want them to change their ways? Boycott them, en masse. Watch them unbundle their offerings in a hurry.

There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Alas, I don't think it'll happen anytime soon because the addicts need their 'soma' and the telcos are merely offering the product so much in demand. They get to call the tune, we dance.

Calling for government intervention will merely drain us of more taxpayer dollars. These regulatory bodies have an uncanny way of propagating their own perks, expense accounts and opaque decision-making practices. I have almost zero faith in their ability to 'do the right thing' in the name of the public.

Rps
Aug 12th, 2009, 09:32 PM
I agree Max, refuse to use, that's the way to get their attention.

macintosh doctor
Aug 12th, 2009, 11:33 PM
I agree Max, refuse to use, that's the way to get their attention.

that is as easy convincing our American friends that Canadian style health care is the right way to go..

not going to happen - we have been lemmings far too long...

nothing we can do...
they got me by the - well you know...

Rogers advertised ' choice programing' once... i called up and requested to have the Native Canadian channel removed and save some cash - because i could careless to watch them skin a seal / polar bear, Rogers said sorry no you can not... then i requested Rogers not to advertised choice programing any more, at least they listened on that one.

so this new price grab is for the folks in igloos - i guess so they can get cable.. i really do not understand how that is my problem? someone explain it to me.:mad: