: Youth is wasted on the young... things you didn't learn until *after* you needed them

bryanc
Aug 12th, 2009, 07:16 PM
To me the obvious one in this category is "what women want." If I knew 1/10th of what I know now about sexual-sociology/psychology when I was 20, I'd have been a regular Casanova. Having figured this stuff out through my thirties and forties, it's painful to watch the undergraduates and graduate students I deal with on a daily basis making the same brain-dead mistakes I made, and then wallowing in self-pity when their relationships implode in such predictable ways. It's like watching train-wrecks in slow motion.

Makes me wonder how our parents could stand us.

Cheers

bryanc
Aug 12th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Another one - inspired by CC's post about learning to use Macs in the smell thread - this one can be summarized in a quote (for which I'd love to have an attribution).

"Two months in the lab can save an hour in the library."

In other words, do some reading and thinking before you start experiments. Just because it's a great idea doesn't mean nobody else has ever thought of it.

Cheers

Cameo
Aug 12th, 2009, 07:39 PM
Since I do everything the hard way it seems, I wouldn't know where to start to tell :D:

The best one I can think of at the moment is if something comes with instructions, read them before starting.

bryanc
Aug 12th, 2009, 07:41 PM
if something comes with instructions, read them before starting.

Crap! I've been doing this backwards my whole life!

Cameo
Aug 12th, 2009, 07:42 PM
:d

Cameo
Aug 12th, 2009, 07:45 PM
:d

See?????? I clicked on this emoticon - :D - and what did I get??? :d
Only thing I can say is that I don't see any instructions here to follow, that's my excuse and I am stickin with it.

DS
Aug 12th, 2009, 10:47 PM
Crap! I've been doing this backwards my whole life!

Instructions? What?

MacDoc
Aug 13th, 2009, 01:43 AM
X-rated again - damn ;)

mgmitchell
Aug 14th, 2009, 05:52 PM
Not to let an old priest talk you into marriage.

bryanc
Aug 16th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Not to let an old priest talk you into marriage.

Yeah! Why is it that people go to celibate old men about sexual relationships anyway?

eMacMan
Aug 16th, 2009, 11:51 PM
The only purpose of tests is to test how good you are at writing tests.beejacon

EvanPitts
Aug 17th, 2009, 08:38 AM
I shouldn't have used the brown acid man!

chuckster
Aug 17th, 2009, 02:34 PM
"things you didn't learn until *after* you needed them"?
There are so many.

The condom goes on before not after.
"All inclusive" doesn't mean you shouldn't bring money.
You turn the electricity off at the circuit breaker before you see sparks.
Save changes and then backup your file.
Not all Ram is compatible.
Public phone calls aren't 25 cents anymore.
You really do need your OHIP number at the hospital.

iLabmAn
Aug 17th, 2009, 04:15 PM
My top ten:

1. Never buy a new car (or think you can put the one-over on a new car dealer by coming in informed or with your mom).
2. Never get into a relationship on a rebound no matter how good it may feel at the time or how you may feel you are "needed".
3. Explore the world with a friend or on your own before delving into further schooling, mortgages, relationships, kids, VISA cards...
3. Don't get a VISA card or a line of credit until you learn to manage your money.
4. Learn to manage money and follow the simple "pay yourself" plan as soon as you get a steady stream of cash. Learn to save. Period.
5. Listen to people, especially to those who have blazed the path before you.
6. Take your health seriously. Avoid prolonged hours in the blazing sun for the sake of a deep tan.
7. Don't feel that you need the very best tech toys the second they come out.
8. Develop or learn a hobby, skill or even a trade. You need something to fall back on when you become older or to pass your time.
9. Develop your social skills and stay connected with people. I recently saw a bunch of older ladies and gentlemen having a great time around a campfire singing songs, telling stories...I thought that was cool.
10. Take time out for yourself once in a while and don't believe anyone who says that you need to start "...acting your age". Play on.

bryanc
Aug 17th, 2009, 07:39 PM
All excellent!
I especially like this one
Play on.
I've been accused of being "Peter Pan" all my life... like it was a *bad thing*! Ha!

You're only young once, but you can be immature forever.

Cheers