: Civic owners? I need your thoughts

a7mc
Aug 8th, 2009, 11:46 AM
So here's the story... I'm in the market for a car. I've been a domestic owner all my life. I've owned 2 Camaros, a Neon, a Cavalier, and 2 Cougars. The Cougars have been so good to me that Ford is at the top of my buying list.

But then, I happened to come across a Civic that "appears" to be a great deal. But you know what they say... If it's too good to be true...

It's a 2007 Civic EX, power everything, with sunroof, selling for $13000. The catch? It has 78000kms on it. Now, if it were any other car, I would say far far away. That much milage in a short period is worrisome. But since you Civic owners keep clamoring about reliability, I have to ask... Is it still worth the price? Or would you steer clear of it?

A7

Dr.G.
Aug 8th, 2009, 01:08 PM
I owned a 1991 Civic and sold it in 1996. However, I only had about 19000km on it, but I never had a problem with it for all those years. Toyota also makes a reliable car. Try looking at LemonAde or Consumer Reports for the used car sections for the year you want. Bon chance.

rgray
Aug 8th, 2009, 01:22 PM
So here's the story... I'm in the market for a car. I've been a domestic owner all my life. I've owned 2 Camaros, a Neon, a Cavalier, and 2 Cougars. The Cougars have been so good to me that Ford is at the top of my buying list.

But then, I happened to come across a Civic that "appears" to be a great deal. But you know what they say... If it's too good to be true...

It's a 1997 Civic EX, power everything, with sunroof, selling for $13000. The catch? It has 78000kms on it. Now, if it were any other car, I would say far far away. That much milage in a short period is worrisome. But since you Civic owners keep clamoring about reliability, I have to ask... Is it still worth the price? Or would you steer clear of it?

A7

78,000k in 12 years!?!?!? That is NOTHING. My '91 Civic rolled over 300,000km before I sold it, and I only sold it because I came across a nice '92 Accord coupe with only 148,000km. I rolled that one over 300,000 too. The Accord I had before the Civic showed 425,000k on all original motor and suspension. Then I had a '95 Accord wagon now in my daughter's hands, shows 300,000km. Of course I have always made sure all the regular maintenance was taken care of.

With the mileage on the Civic you are looking at, you can be pretty sure it has never been thrashed. With basic maintenance you can expect 300,000 klicks, easy - just make sure you change the cam belt every 100,000. A really nice thing about Hondas is they tend to be free of the niggles that seem to plague domestics.

In fact, if you decide against this Civic, please PM me the contact as I might go for it.... :D

Sonal
Aug 8th, 2009, 01:28 PM
That's only 6,500 kms a year.... on ANY car of that age, that is EXTREMELY low mileage.

Are you sure you didn't mistype something?

cowasaki
Aug 8th, 2009, 01:34 PM
Seems a little expensive to me. 13 large for a car that is 12 years old. My friend is selling a 2005 with 100 000 KM on it for 5 grand (no sunroof). I sold my 2002 LX three years ago with 120 000 km for $8000.

I would check auto trader and see what the going rate is on something over 2001, when they switched the civic over to the accord frame.

Regardless good luck.

On a side note, the Kia Forte Koup is a sick car. I didn't think I would ever like Kia, but they have come a long long way in the last few year.

arminia
Aug 8th, 2009, 02:01 PM
Way overpriced. I have a 2000 SIR with about 51000 km on it. Only thing ever replaced was an oxygen sensor. You can have it for $10,000.

Dr.G.
Aug 8th, 2009, 02:24 PM
That's only 6,500 kms a year.... on ANY car of that age, that is EXTREMELY low mileage.

Are you sure you didn't mistype something?

Sonal, I owned this Civic while I was a single parent with a disabled 7 year old daughter and a 4 year old son. That first year I put on all of 900 km. Needless to say, I did not go far or use it often. When I traded it in they questioned the milage, but I had proof since Honda serviced it every 4-6 months for oil changes.

ertman
Aug 8th, 2009, 02:46 PM
I too am wondering of a mistype.

$13,000 for a 1997 seems way over priced.

Is it maybe $1,300? Or a 2007? etc.

It is a really low miled car for the age, but it is not worth the price of $13,000?

Now because it has such low Km's, you should get a thorough inspection done, as the low km's can be as bad as having really high km's.

a7mc
Aug 8th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Ack!! I meant 2007. I got used to typing the "199x" from my current car.

CubaMark
Aug 8th, 2009, 03:15 PM
It has 78000kms on it. Now, if it were any other car, I would say far far away. That much milage in a short period is worrisome.

One might deduce that it has had mainly highway use... not much stop-and-go...?

HowEver
Aug 8th, 2009, 05:39 PM
You could drive that Civic for another 25 years, if you keep the body from rusting. So on a per-year cost, it's a good deal.

I presume you are shopping around and comparing as you go.

A Civic from a couple of years prior would likely cost far less...

EvanPitts
Aug 8th, 2009, 05:46 PM
It could be a 2007 that was actually out in early 2006... That said, check it out. Hondas are a pretty good product, and they can rack up lots of mileage without problems. 78,000 km is barely broken in. The only weak spot when it comes to Hondas are brakes, so you want to make sure that the brakes not only pass "safety", but are working properly and have lots of pad left - or just replace the pads and go trouble free. Unless the car has lots of toys on it, it might be a bit on the high side price wise, since Civics are about $19,000 new - but you may want to check what the local market asks, since they are a good vehicle and retain their value well.

eMacMan
Aug 8th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Is this the first or second owner. If a second owner the original owner may have been a rental company. They typically sell their cars when they reach 50,000 kms.

If it is an original owner and you can confirm highway miles and regular oil changes I would certainly be tempted but you may want to negotiate on the price a little.

FWIW my Echo has almost 200,000 kms under its belt and is still reliable enough that I will probably keep it for at least 5 more years unless I find a really good deal on a slightly newer one.

Macinguelph
Aug 8th, 2009, 09:27 PM
78000 km is nothing for a Civic. The only issues to look for are: irregular rear tire wear - solved by a camber kit update, and squeaks and rattles. I have an 08 that I've been very pleased with, although some rattling was coming from the right front strut at 8000 km - replaced by warranty, and the passenger from seat cover came undone from the bottom of the seat frame - again warranty. My two pet peeves with my car (a base model DX) is that it came with power windows but not power door locks (the other way around would have been better) and that as I am taller than 5'5, the parking brake handle digs into my left leg on a longer trip.

As someone in the auto service industry, I see all the problems with a variety of different cars and tend to base my purchases on which cars have the least amount of issues. Hard to beat Toyota and Honda in this department - both extremely reliable and generally give their owners years of trouble free (not maintenance free) motoring.

bmovie
Aug 8th, 2009, 09:46 PM
I have a 1991 Civic SI hatchback it's got 195,000 km, I'm selling it for $600 OBO.

This car has had no problems, aside from the rust where all civics get them, wheel wells, under the doors on the body. The most reliable car, got the thing brand new in 1991.

you can still drive this thing for another 10 years easily. I wouldn't sell it if you don't need to.

ertman
Aug 9th, 2009, 12:34 PM
I would also suggest you get a history report to verify the vehicles history, age, and whether or not it was a rental as some one suggested. carproof is a good company for running check on vehicles.

The number of Km's for a 2007 does not seem to be that much of a concern, what is more important is how if there is any recorded maintainance of the vehicle etc.

a7mc
Aug 10th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Thanks for all the comments (even though more than half don't make sense because of my date mixup). :)

I took the car for a spin, and it is in great shape. The body is impeccable. The inside has minor scratches in the plastic in a few spots. But it drives like new, clutch is perfect, rear disc brakes appear new.

I've asked the seller to provide a CarFax report. Looks like it was one owner, just returned on a lease. I'm getting in touch with the owner's dealership to see if they have maintenance records.

Once I hear back from the dealership, if all is well maintenance wise, I'll probably offer $13000. Thanks for the comments and help.

A7

dona83
Aug 10th, 2009, 01:27 PM
I've had three Civics...

I got an 86 Civic wagon at 315,000 km sold it at 360,000 km.
I got an 85 Civic wagon at 310,000 km and at 395,000 km the clutch went and I didn't have money to replace the clutch as I was starting school so got rid of it in otherwise perfect mechanical order.
I got an 88 Civic wagon at 285,000 km and totaled it 12 days later thanks to some guy who ran the red light.

Yes I loved my Civic wagons. The Fit is similar modern version.

$13,000 is not bad, you'll love the car.

monokitty
Aug 10th, 2009, 01:39 PM
dona83 -- how's the '5? :)

dona83
Aug 10th, 2009, 02:10 PM
I love my '5. :) I found a couple of 5s in Toronto area for about the OP's price range, manual or automatic his choice. :) I have to get wheels aligned though, seems to be a common thing with the 5 needing wheels aligned once a year. I guess the result of having a 3450 lb car riding on the 3 chassis. I still love it though!

Digital_Gary
Aug 10th, 2009, 02:25 PM
If the car report is clean, I'd say go for it. I have 2 Civics.

2008 LX. Very nice car. I've put about 25,000K so far and have been happy with it. It does it's job. Great on gas, comfortable, boring as hell to drive.

2000 SiR. I put 65,000K on it the first year I had it. It currently has about 250,000. Burns about a liter of oil every 1000k or so but still runs strong. It's my economy sports car. Keep it under 5000RPM and it's good on gas, rev it out to 8000rpm and it's a little screamer.

monokitty
Aug 10th, 2009, 02:38 PM
2008 LX. Very nice car. I've put about 25,000K so far and have been happy with it. It does it's job. Great on gas, comfortable, boring as hell to drive.

:lmao:

Should have gotten a '3!

Digital_Gary
Aug 10th, 2009, 02:45 PM
I would have if I could have. At the time, I would have had the same payments but would have had to pay and extra year of them. I just couldn't justify that big a difference.

dona83
Aug 10th, 2009, 03:11 PM
Yah the only Civic I'd personally consider is the Si. I didn't know the 2000 SiR revved to 8000+.

Digital_Gary
Aug 10th, 2009, 03:32 PM
I didn't know the 2000 SiR revved to 8000+.

Yup, 1999/2000. Very fun car.

monokitty
Aug 10th, 2009, 03:33 PM
I would have if I could have. At the time, I would have had the same payments but would have had to pay and extra year of them. I just couldn't justify that big a difference.

Compared to what trim level '3 if you recall? (GX/GS/GT, sedan/hatch.)

Digital_Gary
Aug 10th, 2009, 04:11 PM
It was a sedan. I don't think it was the entry level but definitely not the GT. Same basic options as the Civic LX so it was a pretty fair comparison.

I don't think the purchase price was much different. It was the financing that was huge. Civic = 0.9% , Mazda = 7.7%

monokitty
Aug 10th, 2009, 05:13 PM
It was a sedan. I don't think it was the entry level but definitely not the GT. Same basic options as the Civic LX so it was a pretty fair comparison.

I don't think the purchase price was much different. It was the financing that was huge. Civic = 0.9% , Mazda = 7.7%

Yowsers. The interest rate on my '3 was 3.9%. Granted, that's no 0.9%, but definitely not outrageous.

a7mc
Aug 11th, 2009, 11:04 AM
Personally, I don't like the Mazda 3. I don't find it fits me as well as the Civic. Same goes for Toyota. They just don't have the low stance and rounded style I like in a car.

And on that note, I made an offer and signed the papers. Assuming the financing is all ok, I got it for $13500 with a few perks thrown in. I'm just about to head out the door to drive the car over to my mechanic (my cousin) to get a 3rd party inspection on it. If that all checks out, I'll be driving it home tomorrow.

Thanks again for the help.

A7