: good time to replace black macbook

freefalls
Jun 24th, 2009, 12:06 AM
Is the new macbook much better than a blackbook? I got it in Feb 2007.
How much can I get a blackbook for? intel core 2 duo, upgraded to 4gb ram

Thanks in advance.

broad
Jun 24th, 2009, 12:51 AM
do you mean the new plastic macbook? if so its probably a little faster, but its nothing thats going to change your life.

if youre talking about the new macbook pro, however, it has much better build quality and is definitely a bit faster than yours. the thing that makes it stand out the most to me is the battery life, which has been tested as exceeding the 7 hours apple promises. it also has the multi touch trackpad, which may or may not be important to you and an SD slot so you can load a memory card directly into the machine itself without needing an external card reader.

depending on what shape yours is in and the rest of its specs you can probably get around 800 bucks or so for it..

chas_m
Jun 24th, 2009, 01:13 AM
(compared to a current white plastic macbook)

It's somewhat faster.
It's got a way better video system.

But I think that's about it.

(compared to MacBook Pro)
No comparison, it's a whole generation (technologically) ahead.

freefalls
Jun 24th, 2009, 01:21 AM
To clarify, I'm thinking of replacing it with the 13.3 Macbook Pro. I run Parallels for a few apps during working hours. Will that make a difference?

chas_m
Jun 24th, 2009, 01:33 AM
Really you should ask the Parallels forum members for real-world experience, but comparing the specs I don't see how it's possible Parallels could be anything less than HUGELY improved by all that new gear.

i-rui
Jun 24th, 2009, 02:54 AM
I don't see how it's possible Parallels could be anything less than HUGELY improved by all that new gear.

i disagree. There will of course be a boost, but i don't think it'll be dramatic (unless you're running software that needs or will benefit from the improved graphic processing)

any bump would be because of the presumed bump in the processor MHz speed (going from 2.0 to 2.4 for example) ..but it's still going to be core 2 duo running the machine.

For an idea of benchmarks take a look at these geekbench results... granted they don't have the LATEST revisions of the macbooks there, but they do have the 2008 unibody MBPs which are essentially the same.

Primate Labs Blog : Mac Performance (January 2009) (http://www.primatelabs.ca/blog/2009/01/mac-performance-january-2009/)

chas_m
Jun 24th, 2009, 04:43 AM
i disagree. There will of course be a boost, but i don't think it'll be dramatic (unless you're running software that needs or will benefit from the improved graphic processing)

That's primarily what I was thinking of, but there's also the faster RAM which the virtual environment is very dependent on ...

freefalls
Jun 24th, 2009, 07:44 AM
The machine is 2.4ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
4GB 667mhz DDR 2 SDRAM
250gbm HD

The unibody looks cooler but if I don't get much speed, then I might hold off.

Let me know.

Thanks

That's primarily what I was thinking of, but there's also the faster RAM which the virtual environment is very dependent on ...

i-rui
Jun 24th, 2009, 11:10 AM
from those specs of your current blackbook i doubt you'd see significant gains in upgrading for most tasks.

however i don't really use parallels that much so can't comment on that specifically.

however the new trackpad on the unibodies is a real gem.

SINC
Jun 24th, 2009, 11:33 AM
however the new trackpad on the unibodies is a real gem.

That remains a matter of opinion. The one on my new MBP is a royal PITA. Way too finicky and another failed Apple gimmick. Give me the old trackpad with click pad every time.

jeepguy
Jun 24th, 2009, 02:18 PM
Your black book has a good resale value right now, so it would be a good time to upgrade, and get a new one.

fyrefly
Jun 24th, 2009, 02:40 PM
If you already have a 2.4Ghz Blackbook with 4GB of RAM, you probably won't notice a huge performance gain going to a unibody (especially if it's the 2.26Ghz Aluminum one).

Unless you want to spend $500/stick on 4GB RAM sticks (Parallels, especially while running Windows Vista or 7 loves the RAM) to update it to 6GB or 8GB of RAM, there will be only marginal performance difference IMHO.