Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Linksys WRT54G

624 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  CubaMark 
#1 ·
I have a Linksys WRT54G router. Its maybe 2 years old. I notice that lately I have to reset it by turning is power off and waiting a min or so then re-plugging it i. Otherwise I get a timeout from my Macbook when trying to connect after the laptop goes to sleep. The eMac wired into the router will quickly show a "you are not connected to the internet message" Does this mean that I'll need to buy a new router? This router gets used for my PS3 as well as both Macs that download various updates and movies from iTunes etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
I'm happy if I get 2 years out of my Linksys WRT routers...They are great when they are new...but for some reason - when they start to go wonky....they are a PITA!

I've brought mine in to the geeks to look at - they always say in their experience, I'm better off replacing it than paying to fix it to only have it wonk out again soon.

#3 ·
Same here. First Linksys, two years. D-link replacement went fine. Then, I foolishly got another Linksys. Down after another two years of turning it off and on every few days to reboot. Now I have a Siemens from Aliant until I need the n bandwidth range of a new wireless modem. We shall see.

#5 ·
I also have the WRT54G, bought at least 2 years ago. I also had weird connection issues about a year ago, with both my MBP and my Lenovo T60p.

I grabbed the latest firmware, and it's been working fine ever since. So I also recommend trying this before replacing.

Cheers,

#6 ·
What custom firmware would you suggest? My router is version 6.

#7 ·
#8 ·
I use ddwrt-micro - that's probably your only option if it's even possible. I haven't had to touch my Linksys wrt54g in over a year since I installed this. I also have a 2nd one running as a wireless bridge with my xbox360, xbox and blu-ray player. I've had less problems with these than my Airport Express. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.