: Buying Advice Please give your Opinion

lindmar
Nov 9th, 2004, 12:33 PM
Hey guys, at probally noted. I am selling my G4 Powerbook.
I just am not a portable guy anymore. Getting married so I need to have soemthing that will last a long time.

I need advice. I'm looking at either an iMac G5 or that Single G5 Tower. I'm looking in terms of upgradeability for a few years

I already have a External Burner (on the way) and an external Firewire 200 Gig.

I look forward to your opinions
Keep this in mind,
MAX money to spend is $2000
I plan to buy either of those systems in Detroit. Its still under $2000

Let me know, maybe you think Im better off with a hig powered dual g4?
Although the G5 really appeals to me..
Would I be better or worse with the imac or tower. I want a system now for minimum three years.

Cheers

Pelao
Nov 9th, 2004, 12:39 PM
Hi
What are the main things you need it for?

lindmar
Nov 9th, 2004, 02:13 PM
Well its going to be my main Computer.
So some - imovie, final cut pro, garageband, soundtrack, iphoto, and surfing.

Look at my Mac History
B/W G3 400 (brought from Macdoc about 4 eyars ago)
Last november my first G4 ibook 800
Then just a month ago (g4 powerbook 12")
Which is too much money for what I get. So I'd like a tower or g5 imac.. Something I can use for another 4 years...

Macaholic
Nov 9th, 2004, 02:31 PM
It'll be indeed interesting to see how CPU upgrades for the G5 Powermac come into being. My gut tells me this is YEARS off.

A biggie you didn't mention is whether or not you're going to use Motion -- and if so the Powermac is the way to go in order to upgrade your GPU for it. Regadless of whether or not you'll use Motion, all that media work suggests to go with the Powermac. You'll want to have the most flexibility going forward. Pity you can't afford a dual one.

Pelao
Nov 9th, 2004, 02:44 PM
A dual G5 would certainly be nice.

A question: how well did the PB handle the work you gave it?

If it handled it reasonably well, then I would go for the G5 iMac.

The 17" 1.6 or 1.8 is a great price. For the work you do a second monitor is useful and can be set up in a snap. For the next 3 years or so this setup would be great.

The 1.6 with 512 RAM and a 250GB drive is just over $2,000, although that is before tax. :(

Kosh
Nov 9th, 2004, 03:16 PM
I'm looking in terms of upgradeability for a few years
This would lead me to suggest the PowerMac - it's much more expandable and upgradeable than the iMac. More RAM, more HDs, upgradeable graphics card, etc., etc....

farfisa
Nov 9th, 2004, 05:00 PM
I'd go with the tower... okay I did go with the tower.

I'd try and stretch for the dual 1.8 if I were you--you can get $2000+ for your powerbook, so if you take advantage of the border situation, it'll only be another $450 CDN + whatever taxes they have over there.

The iMacs are great, but the dual processor is being recognized by more and more apps (as well as by the system software itself). The towers also have the benefit of at least double the RAM capacity, that way when it starts to feel a little sluggish in, say a year and a half, put in two more gigs of RAM and you're golden.

lindmar
Nov 9th, 2004, 06:47 PM
Im not sure if I can strech for the dual.

This helps though,, thanks guys!
The ultimate key would be if the border official actually let me through.. I dont think it would be wise to try and get through without declaring it..