: hard decision between my G4 MDD and my G5

AquaAngel
Jun 7th, 2009, 01:11 AM
Well after i bought my 2 G4 MDD one of them is a dp 1.25 "mine as a keeper" and the other as a 1 ghz, i start to wonder if i should sell my G5 dp 1.8. The G4 seems to run faster than my G5, more potential for upgrades and still, i can't use my AGP ATI graphic card on my G4 from my G5, but still the graphic are pretty decent and even if i need power, i still have my new Macbook Core duo 2 ghz.

I have put a blue LED on my G4 mdd dp 1.25 and i just love that machine and yet, i look at this G5 and means nothing to me anymore.

Sad for the G5 though, but i have more likeliness toward my G4 MDD 1.25.

speaking of graphic card, what kind of Graphic card should i put in the G4 mdd? for the best graphic of course.

The reason why i ask about those 2 machine is the fact that the MDD is fully upgradeable while the G5 is like stuck with it. the CPU can't be changed, the rams have to be upgraded in Pairs and all those so call limits is buggin me. i have the adapter for my new macbook for a 2nd screen and my macbook is more powerful than my G5 dp 1.8, is it worth the lost? i wonder

WHat do you guys think. old G4 fully expendable? or new machine with limits for expansion?

gwillikers
Jun 7th, 2009, 03:21 AM
I understand your attachment to the G4, but I'd take the G5 dual 1.8 in a heartbeat. It's definitely the more powerful machine.

Niteshooter
Jun 10th, 2009, 11:13 AM
That is actually a good question once you start breaking things down.

The off the cuff answer would be the G5 though some of the 1.8 DP machines had PS issues or so I have read. We have these and 2.0 DP macs in the mix and so far I've had more dead issues with the 2.0 G5's granted they really outnumber the 1.8's so could be the law of averages kicking in...

I'm partial to the MDD design since it can run dual DVD drives and has more hard drive slots than the G5.

As for CPU upgrades, given the cost of most of these I don't think they are a cost effective solution vs a used G5 2.0 DP with the 8 memory slot MBs.

What I loose in the number of drive slots I gain by taking advantage of fairly inexpensive 1.5 TB SATA drives so I guess it really depends a lot on what you need. We have a fully maxed out MDD with dual DVD's and drives but that only gets me to 2 TB vs 3 TB in the G5 2.0 DP and 8GB of memory....

Kevin

mejag
Jun 11th, 2009, 02:18 AM
I have to agree with Niteshooter, it all depends on what you plan on doing with this tower? But there is another question, do you want to upgrade for the pleasure of making something outdated feel more zippy and new?

Heck, I've still got my parents on my old Quicksilver running dual 1.2GHz, 1.5GB ram, Gforce 9800GT Ultra/2400 Golden Sample, Acard RAID with 4 WesternDigital Caviar 120gb (JBs), M-Audio Revolution 5.1, USB 2.0 card, LG DL DVD burner... The computer was built late 2001 and it still meets their needs. Why did I dump so much money into an aged computer? Because there is a thrill breathing new life into something that could easily be forgotten... I'm currently working on a IIci, trying to find a JackHammer and a Spectrum/24 IV. Personally, there is something to be said about the now "classic" macs. Sure the metallic/glass iMac looks great, but remember the floating G4 iMac...

As said, it all depends on what you plan on doing: The G5 will always be faster with its 2:1 bus speed, able to hold 4 or 8 gb of PC3200 ram (depending if you have the PCI or PCI-X DP1.8), 8x AGP... But both the G4 and G5 will be capped at OS 10.5, so if you're just surfing the web and writing email... go with the computer you love (which should be both Macs, but you're allowed leave the G5 chained up in the basement)

As I recall, there were issues taking a G5 ATI and slapping it in any G4... I know the Quicksilver had issues with many cards due to the ADC power through (nothing a little scotch tape couldn't fix), the MDD is drawing a blank at the moment. I'm sure you could dig up info on the web. ;)

Niteshooter
Jun 11th, 2009, 08:01 AM
I have to agree with Niteshooter, it all depends on what you plan on doing with this tower? But there is another question, do you want to upgrade for the pleasure of making something outdated feel more zippy and new?

Heck, I've still got my parents on my old Quicksilver running dual 1.2GHz, 1.5GB ram, Gforce 9800GT Ultra/2400 Golden Sample, Acard RAID with 4 WesternDigital Caviar 120gb (JBs), M-Audio Revolution 5.1, USB 2.0 card, LG DL DVD burner... The computer was built late 2001 and it still meets their needs. Why did I dump so much money into an aged computer? Because there is a thrill breathing new life into something that could easily be forgotten... I'm currently working on a IIci, trying to find a JackHammer and a Spectrum/24 IV. Personally, there is something to be said about the now "classic" macs. Sure the metallic/glass iMac looks great, but remember the floating G4 iMac...

Good point, I'm also from the school of doing upgrades because I can for the fun of it.

Jackhammer card? Is that 68pin SCSI on nubus? That would be interesting.

Spectrum 24? Is that similar to the Thunder 24 card or better? We had some of the latter in Quadra 950s at work.

Kevin

mejag
Jun 11th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Jackhammer card? Is that 68pin SCSI on nubus? That would be interesting.

Spectrum 24? Is that similar to the Thunder 24 card or better? We had some of the latter in Quadra 950s at work.

Correct on both counts Kevin! IIci internal video is single-scan and uses system memory, it would be nice to have an accelerated card with 1152x870. Fast Wide SCSI would really speed up everything (already using an Atlas 10K III with 68-50pin adapter). Maybe even a processor upgrade beejacon ?eBay has both these items at the moment, but people want $100+shipping.... EACH :O I have seen cards go for as low as $10/each...

Thats the nice thing about upgrading antiquated technology... You could potentially pick up all the pieces for the MDD used and max it out over time. But doing this depends if you enjoy the hunt for items at inexpensive prices, it is time consuming and sometimes frustrating... but the wallet is always thankful!

jmlachance
Jun 11th, 2009, 11:47 AM
I have a G4 MDD 1.42 that I've been using for video editing and my son uses for creating music. I have pondered the idea of getting a PM G5 but find them still too expensive and may go,if anything,for the Macmini eventually. I didn't do much research on the G5 so I'm surprised to read it has less expansion potential,hard drive wise, than the G4 MDD, which is what i really like about the latter.

eMacMan
Jun 11th, 2009, 02:30 PM
I have a G4 MDD 1.42 that I've been using for video editing and my son uses for creating music. I have pondered the idea of getting a PM G5 but find them still too expensive and may go,if anything,for the Macmini eventually. I didn't do much research on the G5 so I'm surprised to read it has less expansion potential,hard drive wise, than the G4 MDD, which is what i really like about the latter.

The thing about the G5 is that the software was never completely developed to take full advantage of the hardware. Like the Core Duo which followed it, both were somewhat dead-end hardware. The G4 on the other has Tiger and Leopard and both take full advantage of the processors capabilities. So while the G5 should be somewhat faster as previously mentioned sticking with the G4 until you can go with a mini and update all of your software might well prove to be the best solution.

AquaAngel
Jun 11th, 2009, 09:15 PM

Mac mini are good little machines and for the fraction of the cost? you will better off with a Mac mini then a PM G5 or the famous Core duo machines. true they are more powerful as i saw one online for sale for 1800 bux and i want to buy and sell my old G5, but again. i love my newly founded and purchased old G4 MDD dual 1.25 and i know i have said before, but the expansion or a potential upgrades on those machines are sweet. i can even get a Sonnet or Powerlogic CPU upgrade for a G5 and considering the cpu that i have on my G4, i almost can't see the difference. the G5 might win by a few second for the speed and processing the information, but i still like the fact that my G4 is fully upgradeable . O f course you will have to pay the price to have it loaded according to your taste, but still can do a whole wack of fun on it and still enjoy the old machine while the G5 is limited.

As i said before, no Cpu upgrade, limit on the ram, limit on the Storage etc.

I will keep the G5 for a while, but i am using more and more my macbook core duo and my G4 MDD. My g5 is now offline and i hardly ever use it now. Sad, but that is the way it is.

And by the way, if you don't use or will not use your G4 mdd? could you send it to me? LMAO i would love to have it. :rolleyes: just food for thought

jmlachance
Jun 11th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Well, I've had a 1.25 ghz MDD and that was nice but this 1.42 is quite the machine, as far as the heat sink goes and the 800 fw.
From what you've said above, I'm appreciating this machine more.
Thanks