Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

what kind of desk do you use?

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Niteshooter 
#1 · (Edited)
#7 ·
Mine are home made from real laminated pine shelving which I have glued two slabs together to make it wide enough for desk tops and so on. KB shelves and even drawers are fairly easy to make if you buy decent glides and measure carefully. No formaldehyde based fake wood or melamine where I spend so many hours.

Did not save any money over the melamine specials, but still well worth the effort.

#9 ·
Mine is one of those build-it-yourself things from Office Despot using pine shavings or compressed fibreboard or whatever they call it. Does the job, love that it's a corner unit so all those wires can go down the nexus side and behind the panels.

I've always been leery of glass desks for the same reason I'm leery of fishtanks ... the possibility (however remote) of a SPECTACULAR crash when something heavy hits it.

(EDIT: for those of you with very good eyesight, you'll note the caption for my black BT mouse. Finally replaced it with a RF logitech I had handy, I would prefer BT but this works much better than that one.)

#10 ·
I used to have a press board desk from Costco. Bought it when I moved out to go to University, and my Dad helped me get it. Must have weighed about 400lbs, and stood up to about 7 or 8 moves, until when I moved into my last apartment, I knew it had moved its last. Lucky for me, when I was moving out the apartment building next to mine was undergoing construction and had a huge dumpster outside. The fragments of my desk met a rather unceremonious end, as it wasn't even suitable for donation by this point!

These days, the kitchen table, or my lap are my acting desks. Don't think I'll get another until I've bought a place and am not worried about moving it several times.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.