: Question about Unibody Macbook

michaela
May 27th, 2009, 11:46 PM
After the (very sad) death of my aluminum powerbook, I was lucky enough to receive a shiny macbook as an early birthday present.

I've had it about a month now, I guess, and I noticed tonight that the battery cover doesn't seem to snap into place correctly. On one side, its nice and smooth against the computer, but on the other side (where the battery power indicator is), its almost like the casing is warped a little and the cover doesn't quite fit right. I'm curious whether this is normal, or whether its possible that my machine has a slight manufacturing defect?

If so, is that something that would be covered under AppleCare? Its not a huge deal, but this tiny imperfection on my brand new machine is driving me a little nuts.

Additionally, has anyone here found that the ambient light sensors are ULTRA sensitive? On my old PB, I never noticed the screen adjusting itself - it was very subtle. But sometimes the macbook seems to adjust its brightness randomly, even when the lighting conditions in the room are consistent.

monokitty
May 27th, 2009, 11:55 PM
But sometimes the macbook seems to adjust its brightness randomly, even when the lighting conditions in the room are consistent.

Don't run your hands over the ambient light sensors on the sides of the keyboard. If you do, you'll cover the sensors, forcing a change to the display brightness.

John Clay
May 28th, 2009, 12:04 AM
Don't run your hands over the ambient light sensors on the sides of the keyboard. If you do, you'll cover the sensors, forcing a change to the display brightness.

The ALS on the Unibody MacBooks is near the iSight, on the lid.

michaela
May 28th, 2009, 12:10 AM
Actually, that makes a lot of sense... and now that I think about it, its pretty likely that my intense leaning habits might have been causing the brightness changes.

Any takers on the subject of the battery cover?

monokitty
May 28th, 2009, 12:18 AM
The ALS on the Unibody MacBooks is near the iSight, on the lid.

That makes sense. Thanks. :)

As per the battery cover, take it to an Apple Store. We can speculate all we want on here, but it really needs to be examined by a technician to say for sure what the issue is and/or if it's covered.

i-rui
May 28th, 2009, 03:49 AM
But sometimes the macbook seems to adjust its brightness randomly, even when the lighting conditions in the room are consistent.

you can turn it off in the display preference pane (thats what i always do since the constant brightness adjustments drive me crazy)

Z06jerry
May 28th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Any takers on the subject of the battery cover?

I've noticed that it's tricky to get the battery covers to fit perfectly flush.

Firstly I would remove it to make sure it is straight. Then reinstall it making sure that all of the tabs closest to the front are properly aligned and engaged before pressing down on the back edge. Try lifting the latch slightly, and then gently push the battery cover into place along the inside edge, while simultaneously closing the latch It seems to make a slight click when it seats correctly. Do not force it.

chas_m
May 28th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Actually, that makes a lot of sense... and now that I think about it, its pretty likely that my intense leaning habits might have been causing the brightness changes.

Might be time for new glasses! :)

michaela
May 28th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Thanks for all the advice!

I took the laptop in to the Apple Store today, and the guy agreed that it was defect, and covered, so they're replacing the bottom case. I should have it back in a few days.