: ehMac policy on feedback?

stand_1998
Nov 4th, 2004, 04:17 PM
Are there any rules related to posting feedback?

To avoid multiple postings it makes sense for the buyer/seller to provide feedback within the original item posting.

I have noticed that some people create a new posting with the feedback, then the other party creates a new thread...

Important issue, maybe not, but it helps to refine our ehMac community.

Chealion
Nov 4th, 2004, 07:36 PM
There is nothing official, but when the Trading Post rules were put up, there was an understanding that feedback was generally being put as a follow-up post on the deal. This has since evolved into seperate threads.

Do you think feedback should be put in the original thread or a new topic?

If you don't like how things are done, feel free to suggest alternatives. (Preferably polite, after all, it's hard to hear someone's suggestion when all you can read is hate.)

Neil Yates
Nov 4th, 2004, 08:06 PM
My own advice is to make feedback a separate and new message, and have the buyer/seller reply within this message. But, what would make even more sense is to place all feedback into a Feedback/Reputation Topic. Makes searching for people's reputation/feedback ratings FAR easier and quicker. But hey, that would be too logical. And add a topic section, which well, that'll never happen.

But, you asked, and you heard. smile.gif

Lawrence
Nov 4th, 2004, 08:12 PM
It a shame that you can't just have a folder that is always on the
top of the Trading post that has all of the feedback posts inside
of it, That way the feedback posts don't get in the way of the
regular postings.

Dave :cool:

robert
Nov 4th, 2004, 08:16 PM
I personally just tell the person I'm dealing with, the people I've dealt with previously.
Sort of like references. No clutter/no extra posts which tend to push new ads off the front page faster.
R

Macaholic
Nov 4th, 2004, 08:39 PM
What about a feedback section in the membership's profiles? That way, a history of a person's dealings can be easily researched.

Rob
Nov 4th, 2004, 08:55 PM
I think the original proposal made sense. Put the feedback within the original for sale post. The seller can also edit the post heading to indicate the item is now sold.

You don't really need a separate forum section for feedback. All you need to do is use the search command in the Trading Post via user ID. That will show all the posts and feedback regarding that user.
Unfortunately, the search by user ID is not working properly at the moment. It won't search back past Oct. 20. It just needs to be fixed, since it was working before.

I find the separate feedback posts take up too much space for no usefull purpose. There are other less obtrusive ways to do it as indicated above.

Neil Yates
Nov 4th, 2004, 09:04 PM
Alas, piled-in with all the other for-sale/sold items means that you first have to search for the item message that it listed in (searches take several minutes a piece here), and then if you want to find feedback, the search takes yet more time. Anyways, i'm preaching in vain.

Macaholic
Nov 4th, 2004, 09:24 PM
Searching by ID is a flawed approach, as you have to wade through EVERY POST the person ever made -- and doesn't show posts made by others (who have different ID numbers) pertaining to a transaction.

Also, having a person's transaction history attached to their profile reduces the amount of posting clutter -- no matter how you slice it. It should actually eliminate it -- in theory. Having a person's transaction record attached to their profile and NOT publicly displayed in a forum will also eliminate the (sometimes misguided) lynch mobs that can happen around here and the threads that bloat out FOREVER. Certainly, the profiles can be forum-like in nature and others can pipe in if compelled to do so, but the volume (and clogging) of the normal forums would be virtually eliminated. If anybody needs to seek out the history of ANY member, it's easy as pie to find this way.

And further, as a member will (usually) sell things on an itinerant basis, the feedback for them will get buried down the pages of a forum, making it a hassle to simply peruse a person's history.

eBay, Amazon and LOADS of other forums handle member history in this way. I can't see why it should be any different (or see a better way).

I'll shut up now, but I hope I covered all the bases smile.gif

Rob
Nov 4th, 2004, 09:32 PM
To search, just type in the user ID in the block at the bottom. Leave the search box blank. You'll get all the posts by that user in the Trading Post. There are a few that do lots of trading, but for the vast majority the list will be quite short.

I don't see how this could be difficult. If someone is so worried about the potential buyer/seller then they can spend a couple of minutes of their own time. Why do they need to clutter up the trading post with mutual admiration greetings.

Macaholic
Nov 4th, 2004, 10:10 PM
Anyways, i'm preaching in vain.It would seem that it's the same for me as well :rolleyes:

ANY such posting in the Trading Post ADDS TO ITS VOLUME, Rob. Bad idea.

Macaholic
Nov 4th, 2004, 10:18 PM
One last (new) point for my argument:

Having a member's trading history in THIE OWN profile means that, every time a member accesses his/her own profile to respond to PMs or whatever, s/he'll see it. Think of it as one's online conscience, with their "record" (of which they're usually responsible for its content -- staring them in the face.

OH! Another point: not every person's post in the Trading Post is a feedback post. They are also simply requests or taking part in the clarification of someone's ad, such as reminding a seller that the original disks must be included with any installed software. That's not feedback on the person making a seller aware of this rule, and yet if you search by ID in the trading Post such posts by that person will show up in the results.

Honestly, the Trading Post gets pretty diluted as it is currently used, and I feel it needs to be overhauled. I believe my proposal will go a long way to make the Trading Post more focused, efficient and accessible -- and give members a fast way to qualify a potential buyer/seller. it's even handy to check out the 'homepage" of a seller, just to see where their head's at or what type of work they do. This too can be available in a person's profile.

It's called "a profile" for a reason.

Hey, it works for eBay and Amazon's used section. Who are we to argue with their success??

[ November 04, 2004, 10:28 PM: Message edited by: Macaholic ]

Rob
Nov 4th, 2004, 10:36 PM
I like the "Everyone's Cool Here" approach at ehMac. We don't need ratings. This is a neighborhood, not a Shopping Mall.
The Trading Post seems like a great way to meet other like-minded Mac fans in your local area to exchange your junk/toys.

What's the point of being another eBay or Amazon or mail order outlet. If you want that, then go there. I check out eBay all the time too, but these are very impersonal commercial transactions. I'd like to keep the smaller and friendlier nature of the ehMac Trading Post. They are entirely different environments, and that's a good thing.

[ November 05, 2004, 05:47 PM: Message edited by: Rob ]

Macaholic
Nov 4th, 2004, 11:03 PM
I don't want to go there -- but thanks for the suggestion :mad:

What DIFFERENCE does it make if there's a rating on a person's profile, or their "rating" is in some forum. Both are FEEDBACK about a person's conduct, which is what this thread is all about. I'm not talking about some ARS Technica type of ranking based on posts. As a matter of fact, I wasn't even talking about "a rating" anyway; just a compendium of feedback that is associated with a member's profile. There would be no "star system" below a member's name in EVERY one of their posts. No yoke about their neck that they must toil under in public. Nor any perma-kudos and elitist ranking under their name, either.

stand_1998
Nov 5th, 2004, 09:38 AM
Many suggestions are leading towards a cleaner Trading Post. :cool:

I would like to make a suggestion: "Trading Log". It would be in everyone's profile, and would list items that are sold/bought, the date of sale, the other party involved, and a general comment.

This would result in less unnecessary thread bumping for feedback posts, and no more feedback specific threads.

Macaholic
Nov 5th, 2004, 10:06 AM
I would like to make a suggestion: "Trading Log". It would be in everyone's profileAlthough my suggestion isn't that detailed (and such a detailed log would be comnplicated to setup and a hassle to fill in), that's another vote for the history being attached to a member's profile smile.gif