Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

powermac g4 1.25 mdd hard to turn on.

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  UofT 
#1 ·
This is for someone else who likes to turn off his computer at night and back on in the morning. The problem he's having is that he has to press the power button really hard and for quite a few seconds ,maybe a number of tries even, to turn it on or off.
Some time ago I had an issue with this same machine,when I owned it,where I was having a hard time shutting it off but never realized it may have been a turning on problem as well.

So, I'm leaning toward some built up of dirt/oxidization in the micro switch and a bit of contact cleaner as the solution because I work in electronics and electricity but, before I dismantle the front of the computer, wondering if anyone else has seen this before and found that it was more to do with firmware or ram or something of that nature.
Thanks

#2 ·
I suspect the switch is on its way out. If you are talking about the Luxo Lamp version iMac? I believe that those machines use roughly .02 KW/H in sleep mode. Best bet may be to log out at night then put machine to sleep manually. This should maximize the remaining switch life.

The command sequence is; Command-Eject
When the dialog box comes up press; S

Hit the mouse button or space bar to wake up.

#3 ·
I suspect the switch is on its way out. If you are talking about the Luxo Lamp version iMac? I believe that those machines use roughly .02 KW/H in sleep mode. Best bet may be to log out at night then put machine to sleep manually. This should maximize the remaining switch life.

The command sequence is; Command-Eject
When the dialog box comes up press; S
Or you can put the machine to sleep directly by pressing command-option-eject.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.