: Home Computer(s): Mac, PC, or Both?

jkojima
Oct 31st, 2004, 11:44 AM
For your HOME computer setup and your personal computer usage, how would you classify yourself:

- Mac only (compute exclusively on one or more Macs)
- PC only (inclusive of Windows, Linux, and any other OS that you are running on PC hardware)
- Mixed Mac and PC (at least one of each type)
- Other (e.g. Internet appliance, use public computers at libraries, or otherwise do not use a Mac and/or PC at home).

Moscool
Oct 31st, 2004, 12:28 PM
I'm waiting to have enough dosh for a 20" iMac. After that Windows will be confined to a laptop in a cupboard. Only to be used when there is no other way.

PS: No way I'm going to pay MS for an XP emulator: why pay for a flawed version of a flawed product? redface.gif

Pelao
Oct 31st, 2004, 12:41 PM
For home use we have been Mac only for nearly a year.
Now our computers do stuff and take way less time to manage.

The only complainer is my teen, who can't yet find a way around her Account setting which do not allow unauthorized use of MS Messenger.
smile.gif

iPetie
Oct 31st, 2004, 12:54 PM
Well, we used to be Mac and PC. Mac for me and PC for my Wife.
The PC has not been turned on in 4-6 months and I even disconnected the PC internet with no thought of repercussion to move the Router for VOIP.

So, Mac only, soon to be two, as I just can't rip my PB away from wife and son.

MBD
Oct 31st, 2004, 01:04 PM
Mac for me but I use a PC for a course I teach but it is used very rarely. My husband uses Linux. We're pretty much a Windows free house. redface.gif

steadfast
Oct 31st, 2004, 07:01 PM
only "Macs" in this household! But just recently I was forced to use a PC at the office where I volunteer on Wednesdays. Not a pleasnat experience and I kept saying this would be so much easier on a "Mac" They may kick me out

JAMG
Oct 31st, 2004, 10:19 PM
Wow... closer than I expected... PC's are just about everywhere...

Everywhere but my place. Dual boot G4 for me and a 7100 for my 3 year old girl to play Preschool games, plus the carcus of my original Quadra 650... sitting in the corner.

TroutMaskReplica
Oct 31st, 2004, 10:38 PM
mac only here!

if i had to have a pc i'd run linux over windows.

i don't think the results are close at all. check out the number of windows only vs those with macs. there's a wide chasm.

Orion
Nov 1st, 2004, 04:21 AM
If I could drive it, I too would run Linux over Windows. tongue.gif

Used to have PCs for both myself and my parents. Soon replaced theirs with a 7200 making their lives easier (and mine). Later acquired my Quicksilver and then replaced their 7200 with a G4 466. Happy days all 'round (with some minor exceptions).

A friend of mine just picked up a G3, for OS9 development, to run alongside his G4. Macs are sprouting up all around smile.gif

IronMac
Nov 1st, 2004, 05:07 AM
A few years back, we were all Mac here...one PowerCenter and one PowerTower Pro. Then, it was two PowerTower Pros and a PowerCenter.

Then, my g/f got a job supporting networks for a school and teaching. So, we ended up with two PowerTower Pros and a dual-boot Windows/Linux laptop.

Now, today, we have a G4...that dual-boot Windows/Linux laptop...and, this past weekend, I've just picked up a used IBM T20 to turn into a dual-boot Windows/Linux machine.

My g/f, a couple of weeks ago, has announced that she is dropping her earlier plan to buy an iBook through her school. Next laptop will be a Panasonic ToughBook.

K_OS
Nov 1st, 2004, 07:53 AM
At my house we`ve got both Windows and a Mac. We`ve got a Windows desktop for all our gaming and stuff that the Mac can`t do and I`ve got my thrusty iBook so I can work and surf from anywhere in the house.

RC51Pilot
Nov 1st, 2004, 08:55 AM
i don't think the results are close at all. check out the number of windows only vs those with macs. there's a wide chasm.
Which is what I would expect within a Mac user group tongue.gif

Unfortunately, the bottom line is that some of the software I need for work just isn't available for the Mac - thus I have a PC running XP Pro alongside my iMac for just such problems.

Personal preference - I would pitch the PC in the garbage in an instant if I had everything I needed for Mac.

Pamela
Nov 1st, 2004, 11:25 AM
I would pitch the PC in the garbage in an instant if I had everything I needed for Mac.

How many times have I heard That. graemlins/ptptptptptpt.gif

At this point, apple should drop everything they are doing (since they've got everyone all worked up over the ipod, and therefore on board with their company) and make it IRRESISTABLE for EVERY (major) company to have a mac version of thier software. They must do whatever it take to make this happen. Seriously. I mean they did it with the record companies...why can't they do it with other companies!

Once they do this with the major companies, the little one will follow suite, and apple will run the world again smile.gif

TroutMaskReplica
Nov 1st, 2004, 11:52 AM
tongue.gif[/img]

i was responding to the post before mine. tongue.gif

JAMG
Nov 1st, 2004, 12:13 PM
What I meant by close was that Mac users are more likely to have PC's also. I would expect few PC users to have a Mac as well.

Mac power users tend to not need a PC, while gamers usually have a PC instead of waiting for ports to show up years later.

I expected much more people having both.

Codger
Nov 1st, 2004, 10:54 PM
All macs. One 1.5ghz powerbook that also has VPC6/XP. One big old pentium sitting in the corner of the office where it landed less than gracefully the last time that it did what it does best and ticked me off. Should have put it outside last night..... Oh the horror... Nah, too scary for little children.

Ryan1524
Nov 2nd, 2004, 02:05 AM
i've switched from fully PC to fully mac in one summer, but the rest of my family still uses PCs. however, that's about to change, my dad's ibook is in the mail and if all goes well, we'll be seeing more macs in the house. smile.gif