Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Can I fine tune the Crop Tool in Photoshop Elements 6?

5K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  fellfromtree 
#1 ·
Is there a way to fine tune/ adjust the Crop Tool in Photoshop Elements 6?
I often want to crop very close to the image edges, but as soon as you get near the edge, the crop snaps to the existing edge. There is a bout a 20 pixel no-mans land around the edge of an image that the Crop Tool won't let me go to. I can't find an adjustment, can't find a help file, and I'm getting nowhere searching forums.

#7 ·
I tried Control/Crop. That works great for the initial selection, but, once I make the initial selection, I can't make any changes (eg: I can't re-adjust one side only).

Zooming in works pretty good for the initial selection ( though not quite as well as Control/Crop), but the selection still snaps to the edge when you get in close.

Most of my problem is that usually need to fine tune one or another edge of my image after making the initial selection.

#8 ·
In the example above, the bottom crop line represents the closest I can get to the bottom edge without snapping to edge. If I wanted to split that difference- I can't find a way to do that. (obviuosly, the example above very simple, but in a more complex situation, I would have many good reasons to split that difference).

#11 ·
How to turn off Snap To grid...

Hello,

I've worked out the problem here.

While the Crop tool is selected (and possibly any other tools that allow you to draw "boxes", like the Text tool) the option to turn off Snap To -> Grid is greyed out.

But if you change tool, e.g select the brush tool, then you can turn off Snap To Grid. When you go back to cropping, the option will remain greyed out, but this time without the check mark next to it.

Completely daft as obviously the time you want to turn it on/off would be *while* you're using a tool where Snap To is relevant, but there you go.

#12 ·
I just tried your solution GuyP, and it did not work for me. Tried all the tools, nothing.

That got me poking around so more, poking around, figured it out... forgot to pay attention to what I was doing. I managed to turn off Snap To Grid, now to repeat...

OK, got it. Under the View menu, Snap To> Grid is checked and greyed out.
Under View, I select Grid, a grid appears on my image.
Under View> Snap To> Grid is now active, and can be uncheck/checked.
View> Grid, deselect, the grid disappears, Snap To> Grid remains as last selected.

Thanks GuyP!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.