Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Apple and E-Waste: Assistance Requested

569 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Adrian. 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I am doing some research on Apple and its e-waste policies for as part of a masters program on sustainability. I chose the topic myself to do some meaningful investigation of Apple the company beyond what I already know as an Apple consumer. The only site I have at present is Greenpeace which offers a detailed evaluation of the environmental performance of Apple.

If anyone has some useful, informative web sites that I could link up with and use for research purposes I would be grateful. Pro and con is perfectly acceptable - I am not trying to be a cheerleader for either side. I need to dig into the issue pretty quickly and know that many at EhMac will have a headstart on me and will surely have a list of favourite sites that could be shared.

Sustainability and Green Macs might also be a useful subject of debate within this thread for Eh Macers with personal views on this.

Cheers to all...

DB

#2 ·
Hey Deep Blue

I did some investigating into how much plastic the iTunes store has saved with just jewel cases from CDs and the actual CD. It is a phenomenal amount of waste, roughly 52 million **metric tonnes** of plastic. If you could calculate the fuel consumption costs from transportation, forming the plastic pellets and the the actual plastic injection process to make both the CD and the Jewel case, it would be pretty interesting.

I wrote it for a community newspaper, so if you'd like the full article just shoot me a PM.

In terms of Macs, I have no idea.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.