Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Video Confusion

721 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Travellin007 
#1 ·
Hope this isn't a bother, but I'm at wit's end as to what to do.....
I like my music concert DVD's, so do friends and they are a big hit at parties.
But I wind up playing video DJ, as there is only so much folks are going to take of one particular band.
What I'd like to do take my music DVD's (have over 50) and make a mix of tunes (much like audio) that can play at parties and I can relax and enjoy a good time. I also have some vintage concert footage in avi format that I would like to extract a few tunes from (yeah, Hendrix rules!).
I've researched a bit, but can't make heads or tails if any of the solutions (Handbrake, etc.) can do all this. I don't really need to burn DVD's, can just play from my laptop (although I might be sacrificing some sound quality).
Thanks in advance for viewing and any responses.

#2 ·
The only thing I can offer is to rip your DVDs with Handbrake or similar. Then if you have Quicktime Pro you can select a section of that movie file and export it. Then you could mix and match, maybe use iMovie and create something. Dunno if this helps.

Cheers,

#3 ·
hi Travelin,

I'm assuming you mean to keep the individual video clips and not just audio right? (if just audio, I would use audio hijack pro or audacity to rip the tunes).

if video, a few different ways:

using Handbrake, you could rip specific tunes into individual files. probably the best way to do it although alot of work (but i guess that's a given with 50 concert DVDs - but a great idea - would look neat in ITunes).

you could rip the DVDs using Mac the Ripper into video_Ts folders which gives a better visualization of what the tracks are. then use cinematize pro to rip individual files.

I have CP, but i would probably go the HB route as you could set up long batches overnight.

good luck,
keebler

G
#5 ·
Handbrake is probably the best bet ... setup queues to rip each individual chapter on each DVD. With 50 DVD's it will take some time but you will end up with individual videos for each "chapter" (which on those types of DVD's is usually a song).

#6 ·
I do something similar -- compile music videos.

There's no one app that will do it all, but here's the workflow I might suggest for you:

1. Use Handbrake (free) to rip the DVD.
2. Use MPEG Streamclip (free) to edit each clip into its own movie. Export as DV or H264.
3. If you want to apply fancy transitions or edit, throw the files into iMovie as a project, combine and edit as needed, hand off to iDVD or export as a single "movie."
4. If you don't need to edit, skip #3 and just drag the individual files into Toast and have it make you a DVD.

Alternative: if you have a DVD player that can play DIVX discs, follow steps 1 & 2 but save the files as DIVX or XVID AVIs. Then have Toast make you a DIVX DVD which should hold about 10 HOURS of these clips as opposed to the 2 or so hours you'd get making conventional DVDs.

#7 ·
Thanks to all for above. I suppose once I get used to it I'll get over having to use different apps to get it done.
Chas,
What format do you rip the DVD to in Handbrake? I can't figure out how to see the 'chapters', or playback individually. The output was one solid file. I might be missing something here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.