Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Making homemovies using iMove 08 and iMovie HD

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Oakbridge 
#1 ·
Alright, so Im not exactly happy with the limited transitions/video editing options available in iMovie 08, but I find it to be of better quality to that of iMovie HD and simply easier to use.

While I want to create my home movie using iMovie 08, I want to be able to use some of the video effects that come with the Slick software update. That means I have to add these effects using iMovie HD and then transfer them to iMovie 08.

For example, I want to use that old-style gradiant feture with lines going up and down the video. Can I edited this clip in iMovie HD and then transfer it to iMovie 08 and put it in my video...is this possible? If so, how?

Sorry, new to mac.

#4 ·
i wouldn't worry about the transitions. they're highly overrated and 'date' your footage anyways. ie. look at all the cheesy openings and transitions from wedding videos in the 80s and 90s. ugh.

a few transitions are nice, but don't go crazy with them. they'll eventually take away from the content of the footage.

let the pictures and/or video speak for themselves is great advice once given to me.

as for the gradient effect, you mean make it look old style? like film? i don't know if there is an add-on for imovie08, but i know it can be done in final cut express and pro, but those are way beyond imovie.

best of luck,
keebler

#5 ·
For example, I want to use that old-style gradiant feture with lines going up and down the video. Can I edited this clip in iMovie HD and then transfer it to iMovie 08 and put it in my video...is this possible? If so, how?
Sure. Just edit the sequence you want in iMovie HD, export as a QuickTime movie, then drag it into your iMovie 08 project.

You can do the reverse as well -- edit something in iMovie 08, export as a QT movie (I recommend using DV Stream as the format), then iMovie HD can see it and import it as a "clip."

#6 ·
There is a thread on ehMac about my similar experiences. I switched to Final Cut Express and I am very glad that I did.

If you're within distance of an Apple Store, you might want to stop by and ask for a demo (wait until after Xmas). Armand at the Yorkdale Store was a great help for me back in the summer. I think he is/was part-time so not sure if he is still there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.