Canadian Mac Forums at ehMac banner

Does your home have carbon monoxide detectors?

2K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  MazterCBlazter 
#1 ·
Does your home have carbon monoxide detectors? It may be a worthwhile investment. An entire family in Northern Ontario died of carbon monoxide poison in their own home -- the last family member, an OPP officer, died today. Her husband and 2 children died earlier last week after being found unconscious in their home.

TheStar.com | Ontario | Woodstock officer dies of gas poisoning.

The poison is lethal alone in the fact that it is tasteless, odorless, and symptoms are often times ignored for other problems (i.e; fatigue).

Very, very tragic.

#2 ·
It's the law in Toronto. Have had one for years. I was horrified by a story involving a man in the U.S. who turned his off after he felt it had been malfunctioning--he heard the alarm but didn't believe there was any CO in the house. KIlled his family the same day.

#5 ·
Yes, we have a couple of CO2 detectors in our home, especially in the basement where the furnace is located.

#6 ·
I have a CO detector. Installed it the same day they put in the gas heater.

Have no idea why 2 of you bought CO2 detectors. About the only way you would get CO2 to build up in lethal quantities is to leave a block of dry ice laying around.:D

#9 ·
We're all electric (I'm very interested in putting some solar and/or wind power in over the next few years), so no CO detectors are necessary.

But we have smoke detectors all over the place. I burnt some toast yesterday morning and had a hell of a time getting the damn things to stop screeching.

Cheers

#10 ·
We have them in the basement (where the furnace is) and on the second floor outside the bedrooms. In MA where we used to live, you cannot sell a house without getting a certificate from the local fire department that says that they've inspected them. And you have to have them on every level.

From homesafe.com:

PLACEMENT OF CARBON MONOXIDE DETECTORS IMPORTANT

Proper placement of a carbon monoxide detector is important. If you are installing only one carbon monoxide detector, the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) recommends it be located near the sleeping area, where it can wake you if you are asleep. Additional detectors on every level and in every bedroom of a home provides extra protection.

Homeowners should remember not to install carbon monoxide detectors directly above or beside fuel-burning appliances, as appliances may emit a small amount of carbon monoxide upon start-up. A detector should not be placed within fifteen feet of heating or cooking appliances or in or near very humid areas such as bathrooms.

When considering where to place a carbon monoxide detector, keep in mind that although carbon monoxide is roughly the same weight as air (carbon monoxide's specific gravity is 0.9657, as stated by the EPA; the National Resource Council lists the specific gravity of air as one), it may be contained in warm air coming from combustion appliances such as home heating equipment. If this is the case, carbon monoxide will rise with the warmer air.

For this reason, the makers of First Alert (R), the leading brand in carbon monoxide detector technology, suggests mounting the detector on the ceiling. This also puts the detector out of the way of potential interference, such as pets or curious children.
CMHC Fact Sheet

#11 ·
Ours is where the furnace is located and is monitored by our alarm system company.

#13 ·
Three floor house- one near the furnace in the basement and one near the bedrooms up upstairs. Checked every 6 months. Batteries replaced when needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.