: iPhone vs iPod (not 3G or newest ipod)

kb244
Sep 23rd, 2008, 02:46 PM
So I got a co-worker of mine, rather impressed with my iPod touch (I assume its a "first generation" if its not the one announced this month, I got it a few days before they announced the new ipods this month).

He really like the game aspect of it and such, among other things, especially since I jailbroke my touch.

Well he wants to get an iPhone but wanted to make sure it could do everything my Touch could do. Also he is unlikely to use the 3G data transfer but he wants to have a phone as well. He'll likely want me to jailbreak and unlock it for another carrier instead of AT&T.

So questions are.

1) Is there anything the 1st generation iPhone (the one before the 3G) cannot do that my 1st generation iPod Touch can do?

2) Is jailbreaking the 1st generation iPhone pretty much the same as when I jailbroke my iPod with PwnageTool or QuickPwn? And if so does this cover the ability to allow him to change carrier.

3) Which carriers could he get to work on a first generation iPhone for voice communication (We're in the US, Michigan area). Can some prepaid services work with it such as Verizon?

-Karl

G-Mo
Sep 23rd, 2008, 05:03 PM
1) Is there anything the 1st generation iPhone (the one before the 3G) cannot do that my 1st generation iPod Touch can do?

No.

2) Is jailbreaking the 1st generation iPhone pretty much the same as when I jailbroke my iPod with PwnageTool or QuickPwn? And if so does this cover the ability to allow him to change carrier.

Yes, it's pretty much the same (with PwnageTool or QuickPwn), but you also have to unlock and activate the phone as well, which are available options in the tool (jailbreaking is the act of allowing installation of non-app store apps only).

3) Which carriers could he get to work on a first generation iPhone for voice communication (We're in the US, Michigan area). Can some prepaid services work with it such as Verizon?

It needs to be a GSM carrier, which includes AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, etc... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_mobile_phone_companies) in the States... Yes, it will work with pre-paid services!

kb244
Sep 23rd, 2008, 05:12 PM
Now he just has to figure out where to get a 1st gen iPhone.

G-Mo
Sep 23rd, 2008, 05:24 PM

Craigslist, Kijiji, eBay...

G-Mo
Sep 23rd, 2008, 05:27 PM

Craigslist (http://geo.craigslist.org/iso/us/mi), Kijiji, eBay...

Weird... somehow, edit posted new?!

kb244
Sep 23rd, 2008, 06:40 PM
Craigslist (http://geo.craigslist.org/iso/us/mi), Kijiji, eBay...

Weird... somehow, edit posted new?!

Yea what I told him (ebay mainly), just confusing to find the right on there, alot of spam like listings when it comes to the iphone and a few that clearly aren't iphones but listed (ie: they have black plastic backings.)

I'll peek around for something.

G-Mo
Sep 23rd, 2008, 06:51 PM
Yea what I told him (ebay mainly), just confusing to find the right on there, alot of spam like listings when it comes to the iphone and a few that clearly aren't iphones but listed (ie: they have black plastic backings.)

I'll peek around for something.

THe new iPhones have a black plastic back...

kb244
Sep 23rd, 2008, 07:07 PM
THe new iPhones have a black plastic back...

1st gen with a black plastic back? These weren't 3Gs as I looked for 1st gens.

chas_m
Sep 24th, 2008, 01:03 AM
You're probably mostly looking at Chinese knock-off phones that are not iPhones and will not work in the US.

Original iPhones had a METAL back with an mirrored Apple logo. Anything else is either a mislabeled 3G or a fake (most likely a fake).

kb244
Sep 24th, 2008, 01:11 AM
You're probably mostly looking at Chinese knock-off phones that are not iPhones and will not work in the US.

Original iPhones had a METAL back with an mirrored Apple logo. Anything else is either a mislabeled 3G or a fake (most likely a fake).
Yea I was kind of doubting them as mislabled 3G since you'd wana make sure you mentioned 3G (you get more money that way).

Seen two on Craiglist in the local area, 220$ for a 4GB 1st generation, and 275$ for a 8GB 1st generation.

I still think its funny that so many people on ebay are trying to sell iPhones with completely obliterated/shattered glass on the screen (Even buttons popped off on top of that) for 150$ to 200$... seems like its either "for parts", "water damaged" or cracked/shattered screens but people must be smoking crack to think they'll get upward to 200$ for em.

One of the one's I'm talking bout
iphone 2g 8gb - eBay (item 110292189968 end time Sep-25-08 15:27:07 PDT) (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110292189968)
for 200$

I mean holy ****ing **** people...

Corvillus
Sep 24th, 2008, 08:41 AM
It needs to be a GSM carrier, which includes AT&T, T-Mobile, Verizon, etc... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_mobile_phone_companies) in the States... Yes, it will work with pre-paid services!

Actually, Verizon is a CDMA carrier. T-Mobile and AT&T are GSM though. AT&T actually has reasonable prepaid options for both voice and data if you don't want a contract as well.