: iPod Touch to iPhone

ccg
Sep 15th, 2008, 01:49 PM
Just curious to see how many of you went from a Touch to an iPhone. I've had my Touch for about 6 months now, but carrying a cell phone and the Touch has become cumbersome. Plus, it would be nice to have the camera and speakers available when you need it.

Just came back from the Rogers store and the rep was, to my amazement, really nice. Was willing to sell me the iPhone without a dataplan, a voice plan for $18, which includes voicemail and call display, and he'd waive the System Activation Fee (Rogers promotion). He basically said yes to everything I asked for.

So, I'm going back later today to get the iPhone. Just hope it's as good as my Touch.

twolf3232
Sep 15th, 2008, 02:14 PM
and he'd waive the System Activation Fee (Rogers promotion).

Whoa. What promotion is this? I'm aware of the $17.50 plan, the "sale" on Family Plans, the student incentives (free early evening, all extras apply to all phones). I wasn't aware of this one. Can I get a link to the info?

ccg
Sep 15th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Well, no link to Rogers', but if you go to the Fido website, and click on the promotion, and read the legal info (link at the bottom), it says that they are waiving the SAF of $11 for the month of September. i think he was matching this one.

kloan
Sep 15th, 2008, 03:39 PM
$18.. Is that visual voicemail?

How many minutes?

DrewNL
Sep 15th, 2008, 04:22 PM
SAF of $11??? Are you kidding??

Andrew Pratt
Sep 15th, 2008, 05:09 PM
I switched from the Touch to the Phone last week for the same reasons you noted. Its a very smooth transition for the most part but I recommend not letting iTunes restore from your Touch to the Phone but build a new profile.

edmondk
Sep 15th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Post more specifics about this $18 plan once you get it.

ccg
Sep 15th, 2008, 11:44 PM
Picked it up today at lunch. I'm now at home syncing it and updating it to 2.1.

When I went back the second time around, the CSR told me that he had made a mistake and said that it would be $17.50 for 200 minutes, etc., but no voicemail or call display. Whatever, not that important to me. But, he did disable data and had the $35 Activation Fee cancelled. He even threw in a free case for the trouble, although not the best one (a Griffin FlexGrip, which will do fine until I get an Invisible Shield or Incase Slider.)

So, total being:

$17.50 for 200 minutes (first 3 months are unlimited minutes)
$6.95 SAF
$.50 911 fee.

Total with tax: $28.70 / month.

Also, he bundled my cell plan with my cable so I get another 5% off the monthly bill.

Cost of iPhone: $349.99.

I'm not a heavy cell phone user, and I couldn't justify $30+tax for 36 months of data use (WiFi access is good enough for me), when I'm already paying over $40 for internet at home.

He did say I could add a data plan at anytime, if Rogers were to come out with some revised plans (ie. 1GB for $10 or something like that). He also mentioned that 30 day money back guarantee. I thought it was 15 days?

Anyhoo, I'm syncing the phone and the phone itself looks good. No dead pixels or anything. Case doesn't look cracked, yet. I'm going to miss my iPod touch as it was excellent for me - no issues whatsoever. But being able to carry around once device instead of 2 will be a big plus.

Adrian.
Sep 16th, 2008, 12:37 AM
CCG,

I am a former touch user. I got the same plan as you but with the 11 dollar package. I need caller display!

I am about 40 bucks after taxes and BS fees.

modsuperstar
Sep 16th, 2008, 11:19 AM
I made the switch a couple of weeks ago, getting a 1G iPhone from a friend for $150. Opted to go PAYG and skip the data. I'm quite happy with it, though I notice the Wi-Fi reception is worse with the iPhone then it was with the iPod Touch. I wonder if that might be improved with 2.1.

Adrian.
Sep 16th, 2008, 01:17 PM
My 3G has excellent WiFi reception. Sometimes better than my MBP. Sort of worries me sometimes.

ccg
Sep 16th, 2008, 02:19 PM
First day with the iPhone. Ran around and did a few errands this morning and it's already come in handy. I love it. Very nice not to have to carry around a phone and iPod.

I have to say that the one of the things I like about it are the speakers and volume controls. Those alone make it worthwhile. It's great to be able to listen to something without headphones.

Now, I need to get a case for it. I'm torn between the Incase Slider or the Invisible Shield from Zagg. I had the Incase for the iPod touch, but am worried if it's going to add too much bulk to the iPhone. Any thoughts?

teffie-phd
Sep 16th, 2008, 05:27 PM
My ipod mini is dying so it's time to upgrade. Was planning on the ipod touch because I want the wifi (free at work, home and all starbucks because I use sympatico) but love the idea of going down to one device in my bag instead of two.

I'll call Roger's tonight and see if I can do the same (no data--that is too much money for me). I'm one year into a 36 months voice plan with a sony ericsson phone (which is fine, but still...) I assume they'll have no problem with me signing up for longer and getting a new phone.

I would appreciate hearing what people are paying for the phone itself so I get a sense of what Rogers is telling people.