Mocha
Sep 12th, 2008, 10:50 AM
Don't forget to report back!

John Clay
Sep 12th, 2008, 11:01 AM
No problems so far...

shonline
Sep 12th, 2008, 11:14 AM
All is well here. Can't see any real glaring cosmetic changes, it does seem a bit zippier though. Will use it for the day and see what I notice.

ehMax
Sep 12th, 2008, 11:17 AM
I thought this update was supposed to have the Genius feature. I don't see it.

Typing in text messaging is responsive now. Yay.

I've been having problems with 3G in my area, and not receiving calls. (Received a $5 month credit from Rogers for my hassles) I hope this update fixes that problem.

shonline
Sep 12th, 2008, 11:18 AM

Typing in text messaging is responsive now. Yay.

I've been having problems with 3G in my area, and not receiving calls. (Received a $5 month credit from Rogers for my hassles) I hope this update fixes that problem.

Genius is there for me...

crazylegsmurphy
Sep 12th, 2008, 11:18 AM
Does Stevie not put out release notes with his updates?

shonline
Sep 12th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Does Stevie not put out release notes with his updates?

Yes. It was there on the install screen where you accept the terms... However for reference:

From Apple Insider:

AppleInsider | Apple releases iPhone Software v2.1 (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/09/12/apple_releases_iphone_software_v2_1.html)

What it fixes

A page dedicated to the release on Apple's website details a dozen major enhancements including:
Decrease in call set-up failures and dropped calls.

Significantly better battery life for most users.

Dramatically reduced time to backup to iTunes.

Improved email reliability, notably fetching email from POP and Exchange accounts.

Faster installation of 3rd party applications.

Fixed bugs causing hangs and crashes for users with lots of third party applications.

Improved performance in text messaging.

Faster loading and searching of contacts.

Improved accuracy of the 3G signal strength display.

Repeat alert up to two additional times for incoming text messages.

Option to wipe data after ten failed passcode attempts.

Genius playlist creation.

ehMax
Sep 12th, 2008, 11:21 AM
Genius is there for me...

Weird... I just checked again and now its there. :o

FeXL
Sep 12th, 2008, 11:44 AM
Weird... I just checked again and now its there. :o

Cue Rod Serling. :D

BobbyFett
Sep 12th, 2008, 11:49 AM
genius feature only comes alive once you sync your music with an iTunes that's run genius through its library.

regarding this repeat SMS alert, anyone know how that works? is it an option? i sent a message to myself but it only buzzed once? maybe i didn't wait enough or i'm missing the point?

J-Money
Sep 12th, 2008, 12:06 PM
I just synced my iPhone, and when it was done, I realized that 2.1 is supposed to come out, so I updated it. The back-up is taking twice as long as the I just did with 2.0.2. :(

Moscool
Sep 12th, 2008, 12:17 PM

Had the same problem on bot my Touch and my iPhone. The Genius features needs to be synchronised from iTunes, this is why it doesn't appear after the firmware upgrade (which only reads from the backup). The order of play is therefore:

- Run Genius on your iTunes music library
- Upgrade your firmware to 2.1
- Run a normal synch

Expect quite a few 'not enough songs to make a Genius playlist' messages but, by and large, this is genius!

JumboJones
Sep 12th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Does Stevie not put out release notes with his updates?Apple - iPhone - Software Update (http://www.apple.com/iphone/softwareupdate/)

Carex
Sep 12th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Got the genius.

And it's snappier!! ;)

alamarco
Sep 12th, 2008, 12:48 PM
I'm a little bit disappointed. I expected some new features considering it's 2.1 and not 2.0.3. Everything included in the update is more or less a bug fix, except for the Genius capabilities.

doubles87
Sep 12th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Yeah im satisfied with this one so far. The Genius thing in the iPod tho takes up alotta room find i enjoyed the older sleek and slim music play bar (where you scan through a song) its thicker and covers more of the album art but o well i'll deal

imachungry
Sep 12th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Underwhelmed.

fyrefly
Sep 12th, 2008, 01:07 PM
I'm a little bit disappointed. I expected some new features considering it's 2.1 and not 2.0.3. Everything included in the update is more or less a bug fix, except for the Genius capabilities.

I don't get it - Steve and Apple were *very* clear - saying this was a big bug fix that's why the whole .1 release. There was never anything said about 2.1 being all about new features.

Push was taken out of the betas over a month ago - so not sure what you were expecting.

----------

On a totally different note, anyone try to update a PWNed 1G iPhone? :D I assume that wouldn't work yet.

Garry
Sep 12th, 2008, 01:11 PM
I don't get it - Steve and Apple were *very* clear - saying this was a big bug fix that's why the whole .1 release. There was never anything said about 2.1 being all about new features.

Push was taken out of the betas over a month ago - so not sure what you were expecting.

Wow you assume that people actually use basic listening and reading comprehension skills on the internet :rolleyes:

alamarco
Sep 12th, 2008, 01:28 PM
I never read anything that Steve said. Just all the rumours on the forums and copy & paste, bug fixes, etc.

I got my iPhone maybe two weeks ago. Your post was the first time I seen anything related to push being taken out. The iPhone is also my first Apple product, so I'm not current on everything happening. Do have any URL's, or RSS feeds where you get Apple/iPhone related information?

GregoriusM
Sep 12th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Ummmmmmmmm.......... THIS site!!!! :D

Mocha
Sep 12th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Launching apps is faster
Contacts responsive MUCH faster
Keyboard more responsive
Genius worked off the bat (must sync after update)

Overall... works well for me.

cap10subtext
Sep 12th, 2008, 02:51 PM
Yay, fixed my contacts! Now they actually load quickly. That was annoying.

Bjornbro
Sep 12th, 2008, 03:36 PM
Do have any URL's, or RSS feeds where you get Apple/iPhone related information?
Search within the ehmac.ca domain here (http://www.google.ca/advanced_search?hl=en).

HowEver
Sep 12th, 2008, 03:49 PM
Do have any URL's, or RSS feeds where you get Apple/iPhone related information?

And here:

ehMac.ca - Search Forums (https://www.ehmac.ca/search.php)

G-Mo
Sep 12th, 2008, 04:03 PM
I like the change to App updating that it now replaces the App icon where it was instead of at the first available spot and then deleting the old icon! Also, less lag and no jumping when typing in forums, excellent!!

doubles87
Sep 12th, 2008, 05:29 PM
i dunno why you guys complain this one is much faster already compared to old firmware.

alamarco
Sep 12th, 2008, 05:39 PM
Search within the ehmac.ca domain here (http://www.google.ca/advanced_search?hl=en).

Right, because a search is the same as a news source :rolleyes:.

BobbyFett
Sep 12th, 2008, 05:43 PM

The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW) (http://www.tuaw.com) is ok.

Bjornbro
Sep 12th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Well I guess you're right. Some people need to be spoon fed information, others will do research on their own. :baby:

alamarco
Sep 12th, 2008, 06:19 PM
The Unofficial Apple Weblog (TUAW) (http://www.tuaw.com) is ok.

Thank-you for the helpful post, I appreciate the link.

Well I guess you're right. Some people need to be spoon fed information, others will do research on their own. :baby:

Oh, so you're saying all these years people who read newspapers, magazines, and watch TV news should be doing research and searches for their own news. Society sure has changed :rolleyes:. Sorry for asking such a simple question.

JumboJones
Sep 12th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Unfortunately things are not always so simple around here.

JumboJones
Sep 12th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Holy crap this update is taking forever.

fyrefly
Sep 12th, 2008, 07:50 PM
More Info:

AppleInsider | Apple Insider News and Analysis (http://www.appleinsider.com)

Mac Rumors: Apple Mac Rumors and News You Care About (http://www.macrumors.com)

9 to 5 Mac | Apple Intelligence (http://www.9to5mac.com)

Macworld | Apple, Mac, iPod and iPhone News, Reviews, Help and Tips (http://www.macworld.com)

All those are in my google reader. :D

uPhone
Sep 12th, 2008, 07:55 PM
Hmmm....

I'm not really noticing... anything? Except the genius thing, kinda cool.

Come to think of it, it appears I'm having a littttttle bit better signal strength, yet for some reason there is NO 3G here (when there used to be 1 bar). Just a better E signal. Btw the "E" icon seems to have changed.

Contacts "loads" faster - in that the visuals of the contact list are there instantly but there is still a lag before I can freeley scroll.

Cant wait to see if battery life is improved. This is a hot button with me so it'd be great if there is any improvement....

20DDan
Sep 12th, 2008, 08:19 PM
Holy crap this update is taking forever.

lol mhmm! It backed up my iPhone before 2.1 & now again right after 2.1.... I'm glad its finally around 80% done!

But I aint complaining... the phone is a million times easier & software is more sophisticated than any phone I've owned in my life! So even without the updates & bugs it still blows everything else out of the water. I don't see why people whine so much... TRY switching back to your old phone & you'll shut up with the complaining!

kloan
Sep 12th, 2008, 08:38 PM
^^^

Pff. Who says? People still complain about the other phones they've had or still have. And why not? We're entitled to have products that work well. If companies can't get it right, we as consumers have every right to tell them to fix it. It's our money they're taking to the bank.

It's not like they included an entire list of bugs and/or defects we may experience when purchasing their products, right? So it's not like we're totally informed consumers when we decide to purchase these devices.

I bet if companies listed every software or hardware deficiency we may encounter if we buy their products, they'd sell a lot less. So since we don't have that luxury, we're left to voicing our complaints and concerns once we've discovered the things we buy aren't working as advertised.

HowEver
Sep 12th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Cant wait to see if battery life is improved. This is a hot button with me so it'd be great if there is any improvement....

The update updated my hot button...

20DDan
Sep 12th, 2008, 10:39 PM
HowEver what do you mean by the update updated your home button? You mean it changed what it's linked to when you press it twice? or something else...

shonline
Sep 12th, 2008, 10:41 PM
The update updated my hot button...

Oooh, lucky you ;)

HowEver
Sep 12th, 2008, 11:39 PM
HowEver what do you mean by the update updated your home button? You mean it changed what it's linked to when you press it twice? or something else...

Something else. It was (intended as) a joke. The message I quoted was about a "hot button" issue.

MomentsofSanity
Sep 12th, 2008, 11:51 PM
*sigh* Am I the only one utterly disappointed they didn't add in a "mark all read" option to email?

I must receive around 75-80 emails a day and most of them are subjects and about 3 words of text for work... such a PITA to individually open each of them just to clear the new email notification.

kb244
Sep 13th, 2008, 01:07 AM
*sigh* Am I the only one utterly disappointed they didn't add in a "mark all read" option to email?

I must receive around 75-80 emails a day and most of them are subjects and about 3 words of text for work... such a PITA to individually open each of them just to clear the new email notification.

I'm with you on this one, also does the mail app automatically download emails off the server if its a POP account or does it leave the emails on the server (like I'd want it to til I got home to permanently download to my macbook).

MomentsofSanity
Sep 13th, 2008, 01:17 AM
It should leave it on the server unless you have specifically set it up in the mail account settings to delete from the server when deleted from the iPhone's inbox (other option is 7 days). Mail Account>Advanced>Delete from server>

mguertin
Sep 13th, 2008, 01:30 AM
If you go into "edit" mode in the inbox you can at least tag a bunch of them and do it in one shot as opposed to having to open each one to mark as read. I'd like a mark all read button too though.

kb244
Sep 13th, 2008, 03:30 AM
If you go into "edit" mode in the inbox you can at least tag a bunch of them and do it in one shot as opposed to having to open each one to mark as read. I'd like a mark all read button too though.

When I do that my only choices are delete or move.

alamarco
Sep 13th, 2008, 04:26 AM
More Info:

AppleInsider | Apple Insider News and Analysis (http://www.appleinsider.com)

Mac Rumors: Apple Mac Rumors and News You Care About (http://www.macrumors.com)

9 to 5 Mac | Apple Intelligence (http://www.9to5mac.com)

Macworld | Apple, Mac, iPod and iPhone News, Reviews, Help and Tips (http://www.macworld.com)

All those are in my google reader. :D

Thanks for the links, a lot of good ones.

20DDan
Sep 13th, 2008, 08:47 AM
Am I the only one or has this update messed up your email account as well? My emails for my main account & all of them actually have a big red bar at the bottom & you can't view the whole message... :(

imachungry
Sep 13th, 2008, 10:01 AM

I couldn't agree with you more!!! Arghhh!

Andrew Pratt
Sep 13th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Coming over from a BlackBerry the mark as read feature is the most glaring omission on the iPhone...well that and voice dial

shonline
Sep 13th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Coming over from a BlackBerry the mark as read feature is the most glaring omission on the iPhone...well that and voice dial

Um, doesn't actually reading the email mark it as 'read'?

Digital_Gary
Sep 13th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Um, doesn't actually reading the email mark it as 'read'?

Re-read the initial comment about mark all as read....

mguertin
Sep 13th, 2008, 01:17 PM
When I do that my only choices are delete or move.

Yep you're totally right. It must have been a dream LOL.