: Naive newbie question about iTouch - answered!

PoliceDog
Sep 9th, 2008, 03:29 PM
I just traded in a few air miles for an 8gb iTouch. Before using it even for a few minutes, I upgraded to the iPhone 2.0 firmware. When I started checking out a few music cuts, I noticed there's a setting for "Speaker" and "Headphones" and "Both". There's no "external speaker" on the iTouch, is there? Was this just a little 'glitch' that wasn't considered to be worth 'fixing' when they made the iPhone firmware "fit" onto the iTouch? TIA.

minnes
Sep 9th, 2008, 03:37 PM
I have a first gen touch like yours.
There is a lousy internal speaker for alarms and beeps etc.
That setting could be for choosing between outputs from the same headphone jack, if they go to either headphones or amplified speakers.
The new touch just out has a better internal speaker in line with the iPhone.

Bjornbro
Sep 9th, 2008, 03:39 PM
The software was ahead of the hardware design. As of today, new iPod Touch(es?) have a built-in speaker.

PoliceDog
Sep 9th, 2008, 06:42 PM
You mean the one they delivered a few days ago is an "old" iTouch? :eek:

LOL! Leave it to Air Canada and AeroPlan to do it right! ;) They keep telling me how "valuable" a customer I am. :clap: I just figured I'd get something for my remaining air miles before all "bonus" schemes like that get flushed! ;)

Chealion
Sep 9th, 2008, 06:54 PM
FWIW, the speaker on the new iPod touch isn't as good (in terms of quality) as the speaker in the iPhone. To quote Steve Jobs: "It's for casual listening; this is not for audiophiles."

Mind you I'd say the exact same thing about the iPhone speaker as well.