: New iPod nano, updates to touch and classic

HowEver
Sep 9th, 2008, 03:10 PM
As expected, Steve Jobs announced a new accelerometered iPod nano today, along with updates to the touch and classic.

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2008/09/apple-lets-rock-083.jpg

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2008/09/apple-lets-rock-068.jpg

HowEver
Sep 9th, 2008, 03:12 PM
New in-ear headphones.

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2008/09/apple-lets-rock-064.jpg

HowEver
Sep 9th, 2008, 03:12 PM
The new iPod nano.

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2008/09/apple-lets-rock-054.jpg

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2008/09/apple-lets-rock-047.jpg

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.engadget.com/media/2008/09/apple-lets-rock-046.jpg

CanadaRAM
Sep 9th, 2008, 03:26 PM
OK Am I the only one who read it as "iPod Touch: The Funniest iPod Ever" ?

I thought maybe it came preloaded with some George Carlin routines or summat.

matti
Sep 9th, 2008, 03:42 PM

I had to go back and reread the slides. I thought it was funniest too.

markw
Sep 9th, 2008, 03:45 PM

That's what I saw too! First glance on iLounge, even on apple.ca
"The Funniest iPod Ever!"
I wonder if theres seven words we can never use to describe Apple products?
#1 Expensive (I'm still paying for my iMac)
#2 hmmmm.....

Kosh
Sep 9th, 2008, 04:07 PM
I had to go back and reread the slides. I thought it was funniest too.

Trick of the mind, probably. The mind is used to the word "funniest" more than "funnest". Is "funnest" even a word?

keebler27
Sep 9th, 2008, 04:09 PM

not the only one Trevor. I had to look at twice. i think it's the 'i' in ipod that makes the mind think it's in funniest..err..funnest

dang.. just did it again.

Kosh
Sep 9th, 2008, 04:10 PM
I was hoping for a slightly larger iPod Touch - say a 64GB version. I might still buy a new iPod Touch 32GB and keep my 80GB version for the bigger videos - I started using my iPod 80GB like an AppleTV - it's missing a few features but I make do. The iPod Touch would be better for my on-the-go use.

DempsyMac
Sep 9th, 2008, 04:52 PM
anyone know if the classic changed in size, as in will the old cases fit?

HAL 9000
Sep 9th, 2008, 05:23 PM
I was hoping a camera on at least the 32Gb touch.

Sep 9th, 2008, 05:53 PM
Apparently, this discussion got somebody's attention:

Apple Drops New iPods And A New Version Of iTunes… Fanbois Go Wild The IT Nerd (http://itnerd.wordpress.com/2008/09/09/apple-drops-new-ipods-and-a-new-version-of-itunes-fanbois-go-wild/)

kloan
Sep 9th, 2008, 06:00 PM
I'm curious about those new IEMs.

Was there any mention of the new inline mic/speaker/remote with them? Would be nice if they made them to work with the iPhones.

monokitty
Sep 9th, 2008, 08:21 PM
Glitch on Apple Canada's Store... $249? ;)

ericlewis91
Sep 9th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Glitch on Apple Canada's Store... $249? ;)

also

does it need to be $30 dollars more then USA?

iPod Nano is $20 dollars more

while Shuffle is $5 dollars more

iMatt
Sep 9th, 2008, 08:34 PM
Is "funnest" even a word?

It is, but still probably not a great choice for advertising. I also saw "funniest" the first time and did a double take, and I'm sure it was the same for many more people.

markw
Sep 9th, 2008, 11:38 PM
anyone know if the classic changed in size, as in will the old cases fit?
I'm going to wait until iLounge does a review, it it's like their last ones they go into all the details including actual battery times and all the dimensions. All I can gather so far is that it is "Thinner" so it might be around the width of the Classic 80 GB. I wonder if it's going to be a little more faster with the coverflow:lmao:

MiBook
Sep 10th, 2008, 12:34 AM
FWIW, I went to the Eaton Centre Apple Store this evening and they didn't have any iPod touches in stock. The two "genius" greeters I met at the front didn't understand me at first, as if they didn't know about the 2G touch. I see there are none listed on the web sites of Beam Echo or Carbon either.

Apple Canada late to the game again?

The "geniuses" didn't/wouldn't say when the product would be on shelves. I had all the zeal of a debut day newbie today and was going to buy. Now, I just don't know.

tintin
Sep 10th, 2008, 09:05 AM
I called around Toronto yesterday and none of them know when they're getting stock of any new iPods.

I sold my 8GB touch and ordered a new 16GB yesterday, and it shipped last night :clap: So I might have mine before the Apple stores. If they happen to get stock, I'll buy one locally and return the one being shipped (which if they run true to form will be from China and will take a while).

The volume buttons and integrated speaker sold me on it.

That and the nanotech chips embedded in my body from my constant use of my Apple II back in 1983. They activate every September and make me buy a new iPod.

Billionairess
Sep 11th, 2008, 03:38 PM
FWIW, I went to the Eaton Centre Apple Store this evening and they didn't have any iPod touches in stock. The two "genius" greeters I met at the front didn't understand me at first, as if they didn't know about the 2G touch. I see there are none listed on the web sites of Beam Echo or Carbon either.

Apple Canada late to the game again?

The "geniuses" didn't/wouldn't say when the product would be on shelves. I had all the zeal of a debut day newbie today and was going to buy. Now, I just don't know.

I think you would have a hard time filling up the fingers on one hand if you counted up all of the times products announced at keynotes or special events as being "available now" actually were available that day in Apple Stores in Canada. I'm not sure if it has even happened once. I guess you would be right about Apple Canada being late to the game again, but since they have almost never (maybe actually never) been the same day as the U.S., why fault them now?

Also, I think you were being sarcastic, but the greeters, as you called them, are definitely not Geniuses, but I wouldn't expect the Geniuses to know that information either. Apple is notorious for keeping retail staff in the dark for as long as possible. Why give yourself over 20,000 extra leak opportunities? SOMETIMES, the store manager (or acting manager) is told about things the day before they are to arrive, so the store is prepared with staffing, etc., but stores usually find out they have the new iPods, MacBooks, iMacs, etc. when the shipment of them arrives. Staff may say they are expecting a shipment, but that is a half-truth at best. They get shipments of some kind every business day.

Heart
Sep 11th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Ship date
Sep 11, 2008
Estimated delivery
Sep 15, 2008 by 6:00 PM
--

Sep 11, 2008
10:10 AM
In transit
SHANGHAI CN

Sep 11, 2008
1:56 PM
Picked up
KUNSHAN CN

Sep 11, 2008
3:26 PM
Left FedEx origin facility
KUNSHAN CN

Sep 11, 2008
4:35 PM
Departed FedEx location
ANCHORAGE, AK

Sep 12, 2008
2:41 AM
Arrived at FedEx location
NEWARK, NJ

Sept 12, 2008
4:31 AM
Departed FedEx location
NEWARK, NJ

Sep 12, 2008
5:30 AM
At dest sort facility
MISSISSAUGA, ON

16GB iPod Touch - Engraved
:love2: Monday :clap:

Heart
Sep 12th, 2008, 09:50 AM
Sep 12, 2008
7:40 AM
Int'l shipment release
MISSISSAUGA, ON

Sep 12, 2008
9:27 AM
At local FedEx facility
CAMBRIDGE, ON

Sep 12, 2008
9:32 AM
On FedEx vehicle for delivery
CAMBRIDGE, ON

Now I am starting to get 'gitty like a school girl'.:lmao:

Friday ? ! ? ! ? ! ?

edmondk
Sep 12th, 2008, 11:30 AM
While I am still not crazy about the nano's return to the old form, I really liked the fatty, I was just realizing that due to the addition of the accelerometer the return to the old form gives the nano greater gaming capabilities. turned on its side its the shape of a controller or an iphone/touch but it also has some physical buttons for controls. Better games could easily come to the nano now. Although it might just be too small.

Heart
Sep 12th, 2008, 05:05 PM
iPod Touch arrival !
3:21PM

Yahoooooooo!

edmondk
Sep 14th, 2008, 11:31 PM
So the only real updates to the ipod touch are volume controls, speaker and a thinner back is that right?

kb244
Sep 14th, 2008, 11:57 PM
So the only real updates to the ipod touch are volume controls, speaker and a thinner back is that right?

bout it, the longer battery life apparently seems to be attributed to 2.1 firmware, so even the older ipods can benefit from that.

Probably the big one for recent adopters is the 100$ price drop.

Oh and the new ipod has Nike+ built-in.

sulk
Sep 15th, 2008, 12:02 AM
Anyone know if the retail locations have the new ipods in stock? Or an estimated date?

edmondk
Sep 15th, 2008, 12:09 AM
bout it, the longer battery life apparently seems to be attributed to 2.1 firmware, so even the older ipods can benefit from that.

Probably the big one for recent adopters is the 100$ price drop.

Oh and the new ipod has Nike+ built-in.

future shop is selling 1Gs for $20 cheaper than the new ones. I guess $20 isn't much of a savings. Apple is selling refurbs for $199. I might just get a refurb.

MrsMime
Sep 15th, 2008, 01:56 AM
Shame the classic's updates aren't enough to inspire me to upgrade to a new one. Menu speed is alright (albeit not AMAZING, I'm happy with my 80GB's speed as is) but the loss of battery life is a big enough drawback to call it a wash..