: any ipod touch users - pls chime in on email use

keebler27
Sep 8th, 2008, 02:47 PM
Hi Folks,

I've been researching the iphone and then thought...hey, what about the ipod touch? The obvious 2 biggest differences is the phone aspect and then needing a wi-fi connection to check email (for the Touch).

So, I'd like to hear feedback from ipod touch users:
do you use the email feature?
do you find it a pain in the arse to find a wi-fi connection or is it not a problem?

I'm just wondering if I might save some cash and not give up huge functionality or if it really does makes sense to the iphone with a data plan to check email. I would be checking it often enough, but hopefully not enough to get crack'berried :)

I have a home office so it would be beneficial to check msgs when out n' boot etc..

Cheers,
keebler

darkscot
Sep 8th, 2008, 02:55 PM
i use it enough to often prefer it over my laptop at home for email and rss news feeds. if you don't want to get crack'berried, get a Touch. here's enough wi-fi 'spots even in dtown Charlottetown to get me by :)

Jimbo Slice
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:13 PM
I think the biggest things you will miss in a Touch when compared to an iPhone is the lack of physical volume control buttons and the lack of a speaker or vibrate function. Because if you're using it as an organizer, the only way to see reminders is by turning the screen on whereas your iPhone will beep and vibrate to alert you of upcoming appointments.

Having said that finding free wifi on my daily commute is a pain in the arse but my destinations have free hotspots. Checking email is seamless and fast but not all attachments may be able to be opened.

Bilbo
Sep 8th, 2008, 03:27 PM
I echo Jimbo Slice's comments.

I really liked my iPod Touch, but I love the iPhone.

While I have WIFI at home, WIFI at work and some friend's places, when I'm on the go, hotspots are a little harder to find. Plus I hated carrying the iPod Touch plus a phone. The GPS has proved helpful too.

I passed my 16 gb iPod Touch on to my 15 year old daughter who loves it.

I am very happy with my iPhone. The Rogers monthly bill? No so much.

Cheers,
B

thatcomputerguy
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:05 PM
Wifi hotspots are getting better, but watching the frustration my wife has with her ipod touch when she is out and wants to check her email is not fun. i try not to rub it in her face too much as i sit there with my blackberry checking email, talking, surfing, taking pics and watching movies without ever worrying about finding a hotspot. (in this instance blackberry/iphone basically the same thing)

with the ipod touch, if you need to check your email, you better be in a well developed area so you can find wifi and hope they are not all locked down.

Sep 8th, 2008, 05:17 PM
I've never felt such a great need to constantly check my email as when I had an iPod Touch. Now that I sold it off, I'm much more relaxed when out and about and can focus on what I want to do, instead ;) I feel much better without carrying these big expensive pieces of technology around with me anyway...

I do remember my iPod having a little high-pitched beeping sound for alarms etc, so I didn't need to look at the screen to know about them. Sure, was like an alarm watch from 1990, but at least it was there. No need for fancy MP3 alarms, is there? ;)

Patrix.

Vexel
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:27 PM
I agree that if you're using it for business, you should get the iPhone.

The iPod touch wouldn't be up to the task for certain things that you'd want it to do.. also, you'd appreciate being able to constantly see anything, anywhere, with the iPhone. I don't use mine for business and I still appreciate the fact that I can use it anywhere. :)

Andrew Pratt
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:41 PM
I've had an iPod Touch and while I had Wi-Fi at home and at Work I missed not being able to get online while out in the 'real' world. For me though it was just a pain carrying both a phone and the Touch so I just sold my Touch and will pick up the iPhone tonight. Basically if you are going to carry a phone and the touch get the iPhone.

keebler27
Sep 8th, 2008, 05:51 PM
I've had an iPod Touch and while I had Wi-Fi at home and at Work I missed not being able to get online while out in the 'real' world. For me though it was just a pain carrying both a phone and the Touch so I just sold my Touch and will pick up the iPhone tonight. Basically if you are going to carry a phone and the touch get the iPhone.

thanks everyone.

Looks like the iphone is for me then. I could see myself getting used to checking mail etc.. I also use ical alot and using push is huge to keep the schedule updated for the wifey and I.

thanks,
Keebler

jicon
Sep 8th, 2008, 11:38 PM
Personally, I just can't get behind spending more than $30 a month on a phone. iPod touch for me. It beeps when there is an appointment or email coming in, which means it works fine around the house, at work, sending MSN messages or checking email in one of those meetings you just can't get out of, etc. It works very, very well with Microsoft ActiveSync to get messages from Exchange. That being said, blackberry is still the email king, and you have to watch the ipod's battery a bit more after the 2.0 update.

External volume controls are rumored to be introduced tomorrow's version.

Getting wifi all comes down to the area that you are in. For me: Some areas with apartments nearby? No issue. Some bars? No issue. Seems to be more and more areas in Victoria that have free access. Downtown San Francisco in front of the Apple Store? Not gonna happen.