: possible to use iphone to access itunes like airport express?

acc30
Sep 7th, 2008, 11:57 AM
so I'm trying the app remote and it's great, it means I can control itunes anywhere in the house and connect airport express to a speaker, which I couldn't do before, I often chose a playlist and let it play randomly, but to skip a song, I normally walked to my computer. Now that I think about it, I don't remember ever trying to find solution.

Anyhow, so I was wondering, any iphone app that can connect to itunes that when I connect the iphone to a speaker, it'll play the song to the speaker or the iphone itself?

if not, something for the future, maybe?

just thought it'll be awesome, if it's possible.

acc30
Sep 7th, 2008, 12:04 PM
anyone tried nicecast?
Rogue Amoeba - Nicecast: Broadcast any audio on Mac OS X (http://www.rogueamoeba.com/nicecast/)

or know of a free one?

chas_m
Sep 7th, 2008, 12:13 PM
There are several "access your computer's itunes library over the web" apps, but surely your iPhone already HAS iTunes (and presumably a healthy selection of your music?) on it, so simply connect the iPhone to a stereo via the headphone jack (or dock) and have it play a predetermined playlist. Not sure why you'd want to stream from computer->iPhone->speakers when the iPhone should have a library already on it ...

acc30
Sep 7th, 2008, 12:38 PM
trying simplify media right now.

just wanted to see and try setting up for fun.
will be getting an 8GB iphone, that's half of my library. Though 8GB is a lot already, I don't intend on putting only songs in the phone., also, I listen to music all day at work... and sometimes the songs in my shuffle just isn't what I'm in the mood for when I loaded them.

it would also be great when your travelling or doing long driving to access those songs... and connect the iphone directly to the car speakers, though that'll probably be very expensive :/ I guess in the future when it wouldn't be so expensive or if I get the data plan 6GB... maybe?

And I guess that would also mean, my computer would have to be on... though my comp is normally sleeping when not in used.

I'm really just playing with the possibilities....

Jimbo Slice
Sep 7th, 2008, 04:22 PM
There are several "access your computer's itunes library over the web" apps, but surely your iPhone already HAS iTunes (and presumably a healthy selection of your music?) on it, so simply connect the iPhone to a stereo via the headphone jack (or dock) and have it play a predetermined playlist. Not sure why you'd want to stream from computer->iPhone->speakers when the iPhone should have a library already on it ...

With regards to plugging a stereo into the headphone jack, does anyone else that the iPhone's output to be quite weak? Significantly weaker than an iPod nano for sure, even at max volume it can't match the power of the nano at half. I have to crank my stereo all the way up just to get it at a decent party volume.