: 8GB or 16GB

MikeyMac
Sep 4th, 2008, 03:15 PM
Hi guys and gals.

Looking to get an iPhone. Debating between the 8gb and 16gb. I was wondering if those who bought the 8gb, find that it is adequate, or that you really wish you went with the 16 due to apps, or music, or whatever.

I have an ipod thats going to have most of my music on it anyways, so the phone will really be used for new music (and a phone, obviously).

Any thoughts would be great.

Mike

corey111
Sep 4th, 2008, 03:27 PM
apps dont take up too much, its mostly content that takes up the most

Visnaut
Sep 4th, 2008, 04:36 PM
I'm pushing the 25GB mark on my home machine, so I have to be selective. But I have to say that I find 8 gigs to be quite adequate for my needs. I listen to music anywhere between 30 mins to 4h a day, and I rarely find myself cycling music out more often than every month. I always have enough space to put whatever music I buy on it, and I also purchase about half of my albums through the iTunes WiFi store.

Everyone's needs are different, but if you listen to music more than 2 hours out of your day, and don't like repeat songs, and hate syncing very often, then the 8gig might be inadequate.

If you don't mind a nightly sync, then I suggest creating a mix of smart playlists that sync to your device that contain something like 2GB of music that is 4 or 5 stars that you haven't listened to in 2 or 3 weeks, 2GB of unrated music (gotta put stars on them somehow) and then 3 gigs of the stuff you listen to often. That's the same sort of proportion of music I used to listen to when I had a 4GB nano, and that worked really well for me, kept it fresh, always had my faves with me, and allowed me to incrementally rate my entire library.

PierreB
Sep 8th, 2008, 10:28 PM
Hi guys and gals.

Looking to get an iPhone. Debating between the 8gb and 16gb. I was wondering if those who bought the 8gb, find that it is adequate, or that you really wish you went with the 16 due to apps, or music, or whatever.

I have an ipod thats going to have most of my music on it anyways, so the phone will really be used for new music (and a phone, obviously).

Mike

Really depends on how much music and other content that you want to have on the iPhone. For example, if you want to put some pictures on it to show other people, you might find that the 8G. One compromise is to use SimplifyMedia. This software that goes on both your Mac and iPhone allows you to stream the music files from your Mac to your iPhone.

Chookaboom
Sep 9th, 2008, 12:33 AM
I have the 8Gb and I have not had any issues at all with the space.

As mentioned, the application SimplifyMedia will allow you pretty much full access to your entire music library from anywhere. I still have a smart playlist that will pull 3GB of music from my (50GB collection) and refresh played tunes on each synch.

I have 3 full length movies, a couple of Smart Photo Albums (maybe 200 images or so) from iPhoto and a whole bunch of apps. I still have at least 1.5 - 2GB left, which I am planning to use for "file storage" either by using the newly released "Air Sharing" application or if the rumors come true with some kinda MobileMe iDisk utility from Apple itself.

cb

chas_m
Sep 9th, 2008, 01:26 AM
I have a 4GB original iPhone and can't even imagine what I'd do with a 16GB.

Presently, my iPhone has 25 hours worth of music, 300+ photos, 2 full movies, about a dozen or so podcasts (audio), and a total (including the default apps) of 40 apps on it.

In short, more entertainment than I need to get to the next battery charge, when it will also be synced and all the videos, podcasts, music and (some of the) photos will get changed out with newer stuff.

If I tried to take my entire CD and/or movie collection around with me, I suppose 16GB would get me a lot closer to that goal than my 4GB, but who's got time for all that??

Plus the loading of a 4GB is very quick. So there's that, too.

alamarco
Sep 9th, 2008, 01:31 AM
It depends on what you listen to. If you just like listening to singles than 8 GB is probably the better option.

Personally, I never listen to singles. I listen to albums at a time so having 16 GB is kind of limiting. I'm pretty much full, and I had to be real picky about what I choose to put on.

In my opinion:
Singles -> 8 GB
Albums -> 16 GB

polywog
Sep 9th, 2008, 08:28 AM
I have about 750 songs on my 8GB right now, most of these are 256Kbps AAC if from iTunes, or as high as it will go VBR AAC if it's CDs that I've ripped from my library, so they aren't tiny files.

I have a couple of play lists I build manually (On that I dump full albums to), a "Random Best Tunes" smart playlist and a bunch of "Best Of" Smart playlists that I sync up. So I end up with some music I always want, and a bunch of surprises every time I refresh the playlists. And still have 2Gb free.

whatiwant
Sep 9th, 2008, 08:44 AM
i made the jump from 4 to 16 and i have yet to get it near full. that said, if you don't want to worry about being as selective, then 16 is your bet. plus it's usually only an extra 100. if you can afford that, i'd say it's well worth it.

zc11
Sep 9th, 2008, 10:40 AM
I wasn't sure that I'd need 16GB or that I'd use 6GB worth of data in any month. I got them both for the same reason: I can't see the future. 6GB free space left now and coming up on 1GB of data used in the last 2 weeks.

miniphone
Sep 9th, 2008, 11:41 AM
Hi guys and gals.

Mike

If you are planning to sync the iPhone frequently, then 8G should be more than enough.
8G USB drive goes anywhere between $30 to $99. So the extra 8G is not too bad.