: Something's been running all day, don't know what

kloan
Sep 3rd, 2008, 02:01 AM
Battery has been draining quickly today. Usage is showing over 16 hours, so something obviously hasn't quit properly and I dunno what..

Is there any way of finding what app is the culprit? I've got a lot installed.

chas_m
Sep 3rd, 2008, 03:14 AM
It's probably not an app in the sense you're thinking of.

Put the iPhone in Airplane mode for a while and see if that slows the battery loss. If it doesn't, you have a battery problem.

Short of that, review the settings that don't need to be on (bluetooth, EDGE and/or 3G, push settings, email check frequency) and turn off those you don't need.

kloan
Sep 3rd, 2008, 10:42 AM
I've been using an iPhone long enough to know the only thing that can cause the actual usage to go up is an app or process running.

There was an app pre-OS 2.0 called SysInfo, which showed all running processes, but unfortunately it's not yet available for 2.0.

Whatever it was, it has stopped.

Vexel
Sep 3rd, 2008, 12:17 PM
I haven't found anything like SysInfo yet for 2.0.. Short term solution would be to restart your phone to kill any processes running. I know that's not as convenient as finding the app causing the problem.. but, I don't know of another way to find out, or fix the issue.

kloan
Sep 3rd, 2008, 12:51 PM
Actually, I restarted last night and it didn't fix the problem. I left it plugged in overnight, and this morning it seemed to be back to normal.. standby has been consistently higher than actual, so I'm really not sure what was going on.

Macaholic
Sep 3rd, 2008, 12:53 PM
Holding down the Home button for several seconds while in an app will Force Quit it (http://www.theiphoneblog.com/2008/08/21/how-to-free-up-resources-on-your-iphone-with-force-quit/), but I don't know of a way to quit all apps short of rebooting the device.

kloan
Sep 3rd, 2008, 02:41 PM
Thats what's so strange about it since I did reboot yet the usage kept going up..

Oh well, guess I'll keep an eye on it.

Chookaboom
Sep 3rd, 2008, 03:30 PM
Any chance you are using/added Exchange email account recently? Similar behavior as you are seeing when Exchange is enabled on my device. As soon as I turn off the account, life is normal for me.

cb

kloan
Sep 3rd, 2008, 03:33 PM
Nope, just the usual 3G, Push.. that's about it.

Last time I saw this happen, was with my 1st gen, and it was with Navizon. This time around, I have no idea what caused it.. looks like it was a glitch, just don't know where.