: iPhone battery life

machael
Aug 31st, 2008, 11:13 AM
http://www.vikingr.ca/IMG_0001.jpg

Basically when the phone is in my pocket everything is off, with the exception of push email and then only between 9-5. No 3G, location services, bluetooth.

I enable things as I need them. If I'm gonna be browsing then I'll turn 3G on, using GPS I'll turn on location etc.

I could even do without the push email as I only receive less than 10 a day or so to my personal email address. I just got a mail2web account to see what all the hype is behind push email :)

Anybody else have any tips/tricks to maximize battery life? I could have squeezed a bit more out of it but the girlfriend loves to make sure she has the #1 high score on Tris ;)

KMPhotos
Aug 31st, 2008, 12:23 PM
Those are some great tips - and I think a lot of people are starting to turn things off like 3G, location and such until they need to use them. It's a great way to save battery life. It's just to bad we have to go through all these steps to make the phone last longer. I'm sure there will eventually be a better battery developed to last longer. But until them we'll just have to find ways to save battery life - or buy those external batteries that you can hook up to the phone.

Rounder
Aug 31st, 2008, 12:36 PM
Weird, I get about the same usage with all turned on ;) Except I have 3G off during the day at the office (bad signal in building).

harder1
Aug 31st, 2008, 10:56 PM
How in the world did you get a iPhone screenshot like that? Is it part of the App kit or what?

Delroy666
Aug 31st, 2008, 11:05 PM
How in the world did you get a iPhone screenshot like that? Is it part of the App kit or what?

Press the Home and Sleep buttons at the same time. The screenshot image will be saved to your Camera Roll.

I usually leave wi-fi and location services on and just turn off the 3G until I need it. The 3G seems to be the real battery killer.

DempsyMac
Aug 31st, 2008, 11:20 PM
wow I will have to try that I am so sick of having a dead battery at 5PM

alamarco
Aug 31st, 2008, 11:22 PM
I do the same thing. Everything is turned off unless I'm going to be using them. Even if it's not much, saving even a little bit of battery power is a good thing.

harder1
Aug 31st, 2008, 11:49 PM
Press the Home and Sleep buttons at the same time. The screenshot image will be saved to your Camera Roll.

Thanks alot. I didn't know you could do this! This is a great function...saves taking pictures of my phone with a camera!

Elric
Aug 31st, 2008, 11:58 PM
That's impressive, that's a LOT of Megs!

thadley
Sep 1st, 2008, 01:18 AM
I tend to switch mine to airplane mode when I know I can't or shouldn't check it for a while. Basically seems to mean the phone is off, and my battery is not drained at all.

miniphone
Sep 1st, 2008, 06:38 PM
I tried switching off 3G and push, I couldn't get more than 5 hours. During that 6 hours, I checked my email many times and was listening to music.

The Shadow
Sep 2nd, 2008, 12:17 AM
I'm charging mine every three days. That seems like decent battery usage. Everything's on except for push. I've got my data set to fetch manually.

MikeyXX
Sep 2nd, 2008, 09:44 AM
I'm getting about the same as Machael. And I do the same process. The only difference is that I get a little more push email ( a couple an hour) and am always playing with something on the phone. When I do that, I get a wee bit less.

I find that if I leave 3G on, it doesn't seem to drain my battery that fast. It depends on the signal strength. If you are in a low signal strength area, it has to offer more power to get the signal out to the tower. If you are sitting in near full 3G (which I am usually) it's fairly easy on the battery.

chas_m
Sep 2nd, 2008, 10:24 AM
Broadly speaking, the iPhone's battery is akin to the battery on every other cell phone of similar size/weight. It's designed like all cell phone batteries -- to be in "standby" most of the time.

Because the iPhone also doubles/triples/etc as an iPod and PSP type device, those who have in active mode nearly all the time -- regardless of what services they disable, short of airplane mode -- are going to find that they seem to have a lot less battery life than their compatriots who use the iPhone more normally (which most people will do once the novelty has worn off, say after the first six months).

When my iPhone was new, I ran through the battery life every 12-24 hours because I was showing it off all the time and generally using it actively. After the initial period faded, I found that my iPhone stayed in my pocket much more often, and I only needed to charge it about every three days.

Now, while my wife's laptop is in the shop, she uses it as her primary computer and I'm back to needing to charge it every day again.

Script Kiddie
Sep 2nd, 2008, 10:49 AM
Broadly speaking, the iPhone's battery is akin to the battery on every other cell phone of similar size/weight. [...snip...]

Ahhem, I don't think so. I've never heard of people getting 6hours on their phone/PDA until the iPhone. That being said what could be happening is a large variation in manufacturing quality. For example, I suspect by extrapolation that when 1000 devices are made there are _going_ to be small deviations in the antenna which will affect battery life, and if their tolerence is large then the unlucky people get the lemons and you, chas_m were lucky to get a "good one".

chasMac
Sep 2nd, 2008, 01:35 PM
The iPhone needs an auto on/off function like the Blackberry (unless it already has one and I've not found it). I could go 5 days between charges on my 8830 - had it turn off at 11pm and wake at 5am.

jeepguy
Sep 2nd, 2008, 01:49 PM
Ahhem, I don't think so. I've never heard of people getting 6hours on their phone/PDA until the iPhone. That being said what could be happening is a large variation in manufacturing quality. For example, I suspect by extrapolation that when 1000 devices are made there are _going_ to be small deviations in the antenna which will affect battery life, and if their tolerence is large then the unlucky people get the lemons and you, chas_m were lucky to get a "good one".

The instinct, supposedly get 5.5hours, and comes with an extra battery , I know it's $hit compared to the iPhone, but 2 batteries =P~

fearlessbill
Sep 2nd, 2008, 02:58 PM
I get about 1 day before the battery is dead, but i don't have to worry about it too much since i usually plug it in the charger before i go to bed. It would be great though if it has the function as the BB curve as was mention in the earlier post.

Script Kiddie
Sep 2nd, 2008, 04:03 PM
Has anyone ever come up with a "good reason" why apple decided to seal the battery in? I mean would it kill them to let people change it???

jeepguy
Sep 2nd, 2008, 04:20 PM
Has anyone ever come up with a "good reason" why apple decided to seal the battery in? I mean would it kill them to let people change it???

Apple is about design, it would interrupt the natural flow of smooth lines as they gently curve on the iPhone. :D

Elric
Sep 2nd, 2008, 06:10 PM
I get about 2 days with everything on. But I have oodles and oodles of charge cables, so when I listen to music in the car, it's charging, and when I go to bed it's charging.
I think I've went below 50% power once since I have got it.

acc30
Sep 19th, 2008, 11:43 AM
I listen to music all day at work, so I often have to charge my phone mid-day, then at night, when I plug-it in my computer to sync my calendar and such....

Would it affect my battery life in the long run if I plug it in at work all day while i use it to listen to music?

But I kept track to see, and if I play music the whole time (from when I leave my home in the morning to work), along with checking my email and other little things from time to time during the day, I normally would have low bat around 2-3 pm in the afternoon. This of course, is fully charged from the previous night and probably used it for texting, phone calls, and such.

I know I don't charge my old phone daily, but I also don't use it for anything else, but as a phone... so charging daily is understandable...

okcomputer
Sep 19th, 2008, 02:05 PM
The most I've gotten out of the phone is

Usage: 2h 21m
Standby: 2d 8h

The battery was basically at 0%. The 2h21m of use was a bit of music, probably 25texts, adding some contacts, and some 3G surfing. Not really heavy usage.

The rest of the time, Location Services were off, 3G was off 50% of the time, and the phone was in an area of 5 bars (so it wasn't trying to switch towers and networks a lot).

Not great battery life, imho, but not terrible. Luckily I can charge at my computer at home, on my nightstand, in the car, and at work.

Script Kiddie
Sep 19th, 2008, 03:35 PM
[...snip...] The 2h21m of use was a bit of music, probably 25texts, adding some contacts, and some 3G surfing. Not really heavy usage.

Two hours?? You get two _hours_ out of your iPhone?

Elric
Sep 20th, 2008, 01:07 AM
Two hours?? You get two _hours_ out of your iPhone?

Math skills my man MATH SKILLS, add them together!

kloan
Sep 20th, 2008, 01:19 AM
The most I've gotten out of the phone is

Usage: 2h 21m
Standby: 2d 8h

The battery was basically at 0%. The 2h21m of use was a bit of music, probably 25texts, adding some contacts, and some 3G surfing. Not really heavy usage.

The rest of the time, Location Services were off, 3G was off 50% of the time, and the phone was in an area of 5 bars (so it wasn't trying to switch towers and networks a lot).

Not great battery life, imho, but not terrible. Luckily I can charge at my computer at home, on my nightstand, in the car, and at work.

2 days standby.. but still, seems a little low.

miniphone
Sep 20th, 2008, 01:22 PM
2 days standby.. but still, seems a little low.

2days stand by and 2 hours usage? do you have push or fetch configured? it seems very low.

Elric
Sep 20th, 2008, 04:38 PM
I haven't gone far enough to test out my battery, I just plug it in each night beside my bed. Like I have done with every phone I have ever had...