: "I waited in line for a month," and they tell me I never ordered!

AccordionNoir
Aug 31st, 2008, 12:14 AM
I just got off the phone with FIDO as a Telus customer who's been trying to switch for more than a month. I ordered an iPhone (16g, wt) on July 24th. I spoke with Fido reps on the phone five times to check on my order. Finally, a month later on August 23rd, they told me they didn't have an order from me at all. So why didn't they tell me the other four times I'd called?

So, on Aug 23rd they said they'd send me one in two days, OK. So I call seven days later on the 30th, and they tell me my account was marked, (paraphrase) "Since there's been a lot of fraud, have him go to a Fido store with two pieces of ID." (I'm not sure the rep was supposed to read that part to me.) And that I still have no phone on order from them.

All the reps I talked with were very nice, but they lost my order and never told me. And then they said I was trying to defraud them so they weren't sending me my phone. So the last guy said, wow, you've really been jerked around here, and promised that if I ordered a phone again, he promised it would be there in two days (again).

But I didn't feel good about that, and cancelled my order (which they never had apparently). I'd been on the phone with FIDO folks for several hours total, over eight calls, and still have no phone. What should I do?

If I still want an iPhone. I feel like FIDO needs to earn my trust back a bit. What can I reasonably ask them to give me to make up for this very poor service?

I'm certainly not going to deal with them over the phone any more. I'll email or go to a store in person and see what they say. My question is, should I ask for a discounted iPhone? A shorter contract? Some discount on my monthly plan? (like never having to pay the hated system access fee!) I feel like I can ask a bit if they want my business, but what can I reasonably expect them to go for?

Any advice is welcome for this tired but still potential FIDO customer.

thadley
Aug 31st, 2008, 08:58 AM
I was in a similar situation with them. I ordered an iPhone over the phone around the same time as you from Fido, and same thing, still hasn't come. I did call and say I was going to get one from a store, so I don't know if they went ahead and cancelled it or what (I ordered it off a new account, not linking it to my other account that had apparently been started).

I'm wondering if the same thing happened to me. Every time I called no one seemed to know I had ordered an iPhone, and seemed mystified as to what my account was doing at all. They said it all made sense when I told them my phone hadn't arrived yet, but still, it was a little weird. Then, after a couple weeks of waiting, I walked by a Fido store, asked them if they had any 16GBs, found out they had tons, and wondered why I was waiting when it was RIGHT THERE.

So I called Fido, double checked that if I bought one in a store I wouldn't be committed to two iPhones (as long as I don't receive and/or activate the new iPhone when/if it comes, I'm good). And go one out of the store. I'd say that would be your best bet.

As for a deal...honestly, I don't think you're going to get much luck. I think with the iPhone their hands are mostly tied as to what kind of deals they can give out. And especially since these dealers won't be the ones who made any sort of error beforehand, and they're only loosely affiliated with Fido, I think you're gonna have a lot of trouble getting any sort of deal.

I would say, if you want an iPhone, Fido is probably the best way to go still. Early evenings, by the second billing, texts when you're running low on minutes/data and, save for your wait time, better service in general.

But that's just my impression. I'd be curious to know if people have had similar experiences with Rogers in terms of ordering over the phone.

Good luck!

fjnmusic
Aug 31st, 2008, 09:23 AM
Why would you want to give ANY of your business to a company that has treated you so poorly? I'm waiting until the iPhone is available at the Apple Store, with or without a Rogers/Fido contract. Seems to me that if you choose to go with a dataless plan (relying on WiFi, for example), then you don't particularly have to go with the only show in town that runs 3G, whose coverage has been spotty at best from what I've read. Any cell company could handle the voice part, and WiFi could handle the internet part, at no extra charge too.

cdncableguy
Aug 31st, 2008, 10:43 AM
I'm waiting until the iPhone is available at the Apple Store, with or without a Rogers/Fido contract.

You could be waiting a long time.. Hope you are patient

Reveeen
Aug 31st, 2008, 03:36 PM
I'd be curious to know if people have had similar experiences with Rogers in terms of ordering over the phone.

This caught my eye, though unrelated to phones, it pertains to Rogers.
Friday evening I got home, from being out to supper with my wife, only to find a cable TV wire (Rogers) hanging about 3' off the ground across my driveway. I lifted it over my car so I could get in then attempted to phone Rogers. After 3 attempts I did not manage to speak to anybody, their automated phone answering system does not work for me, repeated attempts to press the "O" would not raise a human, and I hung up totally pissed (if I had spoken to someone I would have told them to get their crap out of my house).My wife attempted to do the deed and was told how to increase the volume on her cell phone.
Saturday morning, 5AM, I'm leaving for work, fully prepared to haul the cable TV wire along with me, and it seems my neighbor (who works for Rogers) called a "secret number" to get the thing fixed.
It seems to me that "customer service" and "Rogers" do not belong in the same sentence.

broken_g3
Aug 31st, 2008, 03:58 PM
Any advice is welcome for this tired but still potential FIDO customer.

Dude, just give up on the iPhone. I've seen it, it's cool, but it's not the greatest thing since sliced bread. And it is definately not worth having to deal with Rogers/Fido's outrageous billing practices, poor service and crappy tech support. As a long-time former Rogers customer, I can attest to that.

RunTheWorldOnMac
Aug 31st, 2008, 04:47 PM
Who let this guy in? :D

davito
Aug 31st, 2008, 04:55 PM
I was on fido prepaid and i ordered the iphone over the phone on august 4th. i was told it would be here by the 28th I called in a couple times and I was told it was on its way. Finnally one CSR told me that on Aug 4th she called back left a meesage to go in store and buy it there (never got the message). In the store my account was marked as new so I couldn't buy it there only over the phone. In the end just asked them to port my number to a new account and I got it on the 29th a motn later. they gave me no deal or any bounes as it was my fault for not reciving the message so dude just go in store and have them do it, they will give you nothing as they dont care.

jmattchan
Aug 31st, 2008, 05:12 PM
same thing happened to me

i ordered mine on the 5th. called multiple times to find out when the max ship date was and was finally told it would be aug 29th. had to call on the 29th as i moved on the 30th. they said there was no record of me ordering the phone, even though i was charged for it to my visa. i reordered it. i am considering giving up on the thing completely now.

krs
Aug 31st, 2008, 05:42 PM
Either Fido's computer system is totally screwed up or the CSRs aren't entering the information.
My problem with Fido was that they somehow lost the cancellation of my service and kept billing me. When the bills kept coming in month after month, I would call, get the run around, usually had the call dropped a few times and then ended up with somebody who could cancel the service "now".
That would have meant I would have to pay for several months after I cancelled.
This went on for almost a year - I finally got fed up and sent them a registered letter explaining the situation and also pointing out that they could easily check on all these bills when the last call was made - ie almost a year ago.
That letter finally solved the problem and I was supposed to get a final bill showing the credit and a zero balance.
Well, it's been three weeks now since I got the phone call about the final bill - no final bill yet.
As far as I'm concerned, Fido's customer service sucks big time. Not a cell phone provider I'm going to go with any time soon.

iJohnHenry
Aug 31st, 2008, 05:46 PM
Do they not give you a tracking number, order number, something???

I would make sure I had some reference of the deal that was "done".

broken_g3
Aug 31st, 2008, 06:07 PM
Who let this guy in? :D

Believe me, the only phone that would be worth going to Rogers would be the one that allows you to IM with god himself. Anything else simply is not worth the time, money and trouble. Rogers/Fido is THE WORST telecommunications company. Ever.

Niteshooter
Aug 31st, 2008, 06:29 PM
This caught my eye, though unrelated to phones, it pertains to Rogers.
Friday evening I got home, from being out to supper with my wife, only to find a cable TV wire (Rogers) hanging about 3' off the ground across my driveway. I lifted it over my car so I could get in then attempted to phone Rogers. After 3 attempts I did not manage to speak to anybody, their automated phone answering system does not work for me, repeated attempts to press the "O" would not raise a human, and I hung up totally pissed (if I had spoken to someone I would have told them to get their crap out of my house).My wife attempted to do the deed and was told how to increase the volume on her cell phone.
Saturday morning, 5AM, I'm leaving for work, fully prepared to haul the cable TV wire along with me, and it seems my neighbor (who works for Rogers) called a "secret number" to get the thing fixed.
It seems to me that "customer service" and "Rogers" do not belong in the same sentence.

And that is why you carry a Leatherman tool which has WIRE cutters.......

HowEver
Aug 31st, 2008, 06:42 PM
"Daddy, why is the TV picture all fuzzy like snow?"

And that is why you carry a Leatherman tool which has WIRE cutters.......

AccordionNoir
Aug 31st, 2008, 07:26 PM
I had an account number, and a reserved phone number (which the rep on the last call found on my account in front of him. They basically just never placed my order, and then didn't tell me when I called the next four times (and then didn't place my order again).

I could wait for more phone companies to go GSM, so they can sell me an iPhone, or maybe I don't really need a cell-phone at all. Either way, I'm in a decent position to ask Fido for something, if they want my business, ever.

On the Howard Forums, people were talking about monthly $15 credits after bad service. I'd be satisfied enough with that to think about using their company again.

Not like Telus has much else to offer my Telus phone doesn't work inside my apartment in downtown Vancouver. (Fido phones do.)